A New Toy to Burn'em Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Toy to Burn'em Up

I've been using an old 60 watt soldering iron, with some modified tips, to do the wood burning on some of my intarsia projects. It finally gave out last week, so I decided to go for a "real" pyrography tool this time. I was looking a a tool called Razertip, when I found this one on Amazon. Amazon didn't have Razertip products.

It came with the pen, cables, nine (9) tips and a screwdriver to lock the tips to the pen. It also has an adapter to connect other manufacturers pens - like Razertip.
    And it's made in the USA.

The thing it is lacking in is instruction. There is one page that tell what the pen tips are, and another page that tells how to connect things. There is nothing about temperatures for pens, what temps the control knob is displaying - it has numbers from Low 1 - 10 High. So, there is some real learning to do. I found that setting the control to number 5 will make the pen tip glow red. I'm hoping for more information on Burnmasters website.

I played with the "signature tip" for a bit, but I have a lot more practice yet. I did get FC's 25 page beginner Pyrography book, so I'll play with that a bit, but don't expect many works of art from my old shaky hands. This thing is just to add detail to the intarsia projects. I hope to learn how to sign my name with it, though.
    Attached Files
    Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Looks very interesting
    ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

At the last open house I took a wood burning class from Michelle Parsons. I then got the Colwood Cub kit. I will never be a wood burner but they do help to embellish projects. Enjoy the new toy.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Have fun with it. The best way to learn is practice, like the rest of our hobbies. All woods do not burn the same. Any woods that have big variations in hardness, like pine, are a challenge. that is why end grain basswood slabs are so easy to work with. I recently purchased three sizes of a ball tip (Colewood burner) that are great for signing.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

My wife bought me a real nice one many years ago. I found you need to have some artistic abilities to get much out of it..... I don't...
          AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Paul I learned that lesson when I took an airbrush class at the local college. I understood the mechanics of the airbrush just fine but realized I needed a painting class to learn all about light and shadows etc.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X