No announcement yet.

Interesting Hegner Patent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the other problem is, if it has the Hegner name on it.... it will be expensive!! More than this old retired guy can afford.

I have an old Singer Sewing Machine motor with the "knee" speed control. It works great. Been trying for years to think what to use it on and haven't figured anything out yet. Pretty small motor. I originally thought it would work for a carver, like a Foredom tool, but I don't know if it would be powerful enough.
    Last edited by Scrappile; 02-22-2018, 08:04 PM.
    AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Hey Hegner . . . think "Bigger Table" and letting that arm raise a few inches higher . . . please. Be innovative, and make a sturdy but adjustable stand. Take my ideas and claim them as your own :-)

Go Hegner Go (Pom Pom Waving, Crowds cheering)

........I have to wonder if we had started with a speed pedal if we would have naturally adapted it into our styles of cutting. We burned our current approach into our brains with hundreds of hours of use, so we are comfortable with how things are.

I had a unicycle as a kid, had the pedal welded on crooked, rode it for hours and hours. When I tried a new unicycle with straight pedals, it didn't feel right at all.
      Last edited by hotshot; 02-22-2018, 08:14 PM.
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

The speed on the sewing machine pedal is controlled from the top of the pedal. This is a large pedal, at least on my machine, and very uncomfortable to use for long periods of time as you are applying pressure with the top of your foot. It really isn’t resting because if you relax your foot the pressure comes off and the machine slows down. I personally get better speed control with my shoe off. Bruce thinks I’m nuts, but that’s another story. Since I can control speed and tension now while sawing on my Hegner, I wouldn’t use it but it may be good on other machines.

Randy, I agree a bigger table would be great. Very hard cutting an 18” basket on an 8” wide table. Are you listening Hegner?
        Last edited by will8989; 02-23-2018, 01:42 AM.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
          Hey Hegner . . . think "Bigger Table" and letting that arm raise a few inches higher . . . please. Be innovative, and make a sturdy but adjustable stand. Take my ideas and claim them as your own :-)

Go Hegner Go (Pom Pom Waving, Crowds cheering)

........I have to wonder if we had started with a speed pedal if we would have naturally adapted it into our styles of cutting. We burned our current approach into our brains with hundreds of hours of use, so we are comfortable with how things are.

I had a unicycle as a kid, had the pedal welded on crooked, rode it for hours and hours. When I tried a new unicycle with straight pedals, it didn't feel right at all.
          I couldn't agree more Randy. As you already know I have made a couple of the modifications you suggest and they make a big improvement in my Hegner.

As far as the foot pedal if they marketed it as an option I'm sure it would draw interest. I think some would be interested and be willing to pay for it.
          Last edited by Stoney; 02-23-2018, 08:34 AM.
          Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

I have two variable speed controllers one is on my Digital embroidery machine(inherited from my Mom) and I also have a Rampower carver with the electronic foot pedal. The variable speed on both of those gives much more control. especially on the power carver.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              Interesting.
              If I had to control my saw speed with the foot control my leg would cramp big time.
              Me - also! I drove from Memphis to Dallas yesterday in heavy rain all the way. Could not use the cruise control. My leg was in a knot.

Having said that, I can sit still at the scroll saw for about an 30 minutes at the most before I have to move around; On the lathe, I can also stand in that one place for about 30 minutes before having to sit. Now when I was younger . . . not so much of a problem.

If I had had the years of experience you fellows had on the scroll saw, I probably would enjoy VS for different situations as mentioned above.

I know I like instant VS on the lathe for different situations from one minute to the next, but most old timers like to stay with one speed or take the time to change belts. Me - I slow for sanding, then figure it needs a few swipes of the scraper or other tool and speed it up, then back to sanding, slow down more to apply a stabilizer to a weak section and back to the tool. VS is very good if you have enough experience to know which speeds do best for different situations, and the situations change from one second to the next.

Would a router dial speed control work on a scroll saw? Just curious.
              Last edited by leehljp; 02-23-2018, 04:42 PM.
              Hank Lee
              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Not all motors will work with speed control.
                Variable speed on a wood lathe is a must! Starting an out of round piece at high speed can kill you. That is one reason I gave my used jet 1236 with the reeves drive to my nephew, its lowest speed was 500. Too high for what I was starting to do. Replaced it with a Nova DVR XP 16-24 Have recently added a 20" extension to the bed.
                Rolf

Comment

So Rolf, are you expanding your house for all these tools? Just curious.
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

No that will not happen. We have done lots of work on our house but never changed the footprint or square footage, except for what was dug out under the house for my workshop. Did not want to mess with our tax base which is "relatively" low for our area.
                    Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                      Ladder Legs
                      leehljp
                      I subscribe to a daily email from "homemade tools" and a few are hilarious, and some are ingenious. Here is an amusing one:
                      http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...-18#post115897

Enjoy.
                      Today, 07:06 PM
                    • Scrappile
                      Reply to Elk Meadow
                      Scrappile
                      Well done. Elk, are one of the most beautiful animals in North America as far as I am concerned.
                      Today, 01:04 PM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      Reply to Pricing
                      Sandy Oaks
                      Lee, we have a pen turner displayed at ArtCrafters. Many of the pens are $25 and we sell maybe 4 - 5 each month. I am sure at a place like Knoxville he could more than double the price....
                      Today, 09:34 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                      Rolf
                      We could not do that in our kitchen the ceiling and walls are way too crooked. So to fool the eye some of our cabinets go all of the way up with trim molding the others are lower also with crown molding. There is no continuous line to catch the eye.
                      Today, 08:34 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                      will8989
                      WHAT? We’re taking them down? Bruce decided he should have put them flush with the ceiling so we’re taking them down and raising them 1/2”!!! Do you know how heavy these are? He decided he wanted as narrow as possible, or no, molding at the top at all. And yes, Scott they have stuff in them.😲😲...
                      Today, 08:26 AM
                    Working...
                    X