Hegner Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hegner Questions

I have a Hegner Mulitmax 22V. I purchased it from Adv. Mach. two years ago. It was one of their demos. It is a 2010 model, they took me to the cleaner on it. I think when I got do of them dealing I save about $100 less than a brand new. Any how, the past month or so it seems to had developed vibrations. Vibrates bad a the lowest speed, go up about 400 it smooths out smooth till around 800, start vibrating again, around 1300 smooths our again than at around 1500 it will walk a glass of water across the table top. I've been using it, and working in the good speed spots, but it didn't use to do this, so something is amiss and those smooth spot are not really the speed I like.

Yesterday I took the saw off the stand, cleaned everything real good, checked all bolts for tightness, oiled the bushing, and tried to look things over real good. The bolts the that the motor is mounted on with were not real snug so I snugged them. I didn't feel any "play" in the arms or the connector between the motor and the lower arm. I had the stand bolted on a piece 3/4" pressboard, (it sits on a concrete floor) with about 60 lbs. of weight on the board. Been wanting to make a better bigger base so I did that yesterday, bigger piece pf 3/4" Birch plywood with the same weight on it. It decreased the vibration somewhat, but still had more than when I first purchased the saw. Then I set the whole thing on a rubber pad, and that helped some more. I haven't sawed much with it since I did all this, so I don't really know how much I fixed. Here begs the questions:

How does one know it is time to change bushings and/or connector piece between the motor and the lower arm? What are the symptoms for those problems?

One other problem I have always had since I got the machine, when you release the tension and unscrew the top blade clamp, the upper arm should pop up, right? About 40% of the time I have to giggle the upper arm before it pops up. Maybe that is normal, not a big deal or is it something the just should not happen?

Thanks for any input.

AKA Paul from Washington State

Seems like that saw is way too new for these issues, so hopefully it is something minor. I would be incredibly surprised if any of the pivot bushings have worn this early. Have you been putting a drop of oil on those pivot point every few uses? Even if you have not, seems way too early for that kind of wear, unless someone used the heck out of that saw before you got it. Seems unlikely.

I would have said tighten the bolts connecting the saw to the stand, but seems you already did that. I know you already checked the connection arm for looseness, but go ahead and look closely at that piece for cracks, as that was certainly my problem early on. I'm really not understanding why Hegner made that high tension component out of plastic (boggles the mind, On the Polymax, that part is Aluminum).

The Hegner itself is so simple, there are just not a lot of failure points.

Did Advanced give you a warrantee since you basically paid full price? I would call them up and see if they can help you locate the source of the vibration. Lucky for you, you have a very nice backup saw.

Hate that you have to deal with this, but I have to admit, I love these kinds of mysteries and am very curious to find out what ends up being the issue. If I wasn't so far, I would drop by and help you troubleshoot.

---------Randy
    Last edited by hotshot; 02-11-2018, 03:56 PM.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Thanks Randy, I do oil it pretty regularly, I am better at that than I am a changing the oil in my car when I should.. It is better and maybe a lot better, I need to set down and some more scrolling on it to see. Been working on other things today.

Comment

Well I didn't fix it still vibrating with all my screwing around I did. Strange thing though, while it was running I grabbed the front of the stand at the top and pulled forward a little, like a forward tilt. It eliminated a lot of the vibration. Not sure what that means, other than the floor has somehow become uneven during the past couple month.... Just for kicks I put a shim under the back of the stand and it did really improve things.. I'll try it this way a while. May have to find a new location for my saw.

Comment

You might have hit on it, Paul, My basement floor is far from level across. I can adjust the feet or wheels for a machine and it's steady, but movement of 2 - 3 inches and it's wobbling. My scroll saw gets moved around a bit and I always have to re-find the sweet spot for it to sit, so it doesn't wobble or vibrate.
          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Interesting. The cool thing about a three legged stand, all three legs should always be down, even on uneven surfaces.

Are you on concrete? If you are on a raised floor, moving the saw just a little, can affect vibration, depending on where you are in relation to the wood beams below. In the portable barn, it was very very noticeable, but less so on the edges or over the main support beams.

Comment

Why did you put it on a board? Mine has set on the concrete floor in the same,place for 17 years. Maybe with it being fastened on the board it is not sitting properly. I oil mine about every 15 hrs of use. I also clean the Sawdust from around the areas I oil. Is your tension too tight that it won’t pop up? On the knob on the top of the tension bar I put a dot of white paint. When I adjust tension the dot is usually in the same place or close to it. I use it as a reference point. Randy, I don’t have any plastic parts, except the knob on the tension rod. I’ve never changed any bushings or arms.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Our club meets in an old barn with a wooden floor that is a bit whippy to say the least. Our club saw is a Hegener and it really does not like that floor. In the early years of our club many of us brought our saws to the meetings and none of them could be run at our normal speeds because of the floor. That was before I had my Hawk.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
                  Interesting. The cool thing about a three legged stand, all three legs should always be down, even on uneven surfaces.

Are you on concrete? If you are on a raised floor, moving the saw just a little, can affect vibration, depending on where you are in relation to the wood beams below. In the portable barn, it was very very noticeable, but less so on the edges or over the main support beams.
                  guess I figured it needed to be bolted down. I am really resisting putting bolts in the concrete floor. But I will if I have to. I just seems to me it would be very top heavy and needs to be bolted down. Is your bolted to the floor?

Comment

Try it first just sitting on the floor see if that makes a difference.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Mine is not bolted. I know Jim Finn bolted his Polymax down after not being able to resolve his vibration issues with Advanced. Wonder what happens if you add weight to the stand. Hegner stand makes that pretty easy.

Comment

Bruce always told me that a 3 legged stand will find its own level. Not be level but will not rock. Of course, he's told me alot of things over the years. Some I listen to and some not so much. LOL
                        Betty

Comment

Paul as you know I have the same Hegner Multi-Max 22v that you have. As you know I have made some modification to my saw. One thing you said about your upper arm not popping up every time got my attention. That just doesn't seem right to me. I put a lighter spring on mine when I relocated the upper arm stop and my upper arm pops up every time even with the lighter spring. I have my saw mounted on the Hegner stand which is then setting on rubber pads on a 3/4" plywood base with casters and bolts tightened just enough to prevent movement.

Oh, by the way I would contact Advanced as you should definitely have received a warranty on your saw. When I bought my slightly used saw from them I got a five year warranty.

PS. Just had a thought. Seeing as your saw was a demo who knows whether the bushings were oiled regularly. Who was keeping track? Just thinking out loud.
                          Last edited by Stoney; 02-12-2018, 06:05 PM.
                          Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

The board you had it setting on may have warped. I would try taking it off as it shouldn't be needed. Three legged standshould always set stable.

"Time to give back."
                            "Time to Give Back"

Comment

I did remove the Heg from the board/rubber pad this afternoon. It certainly doesn't run any worse fact I think it is an improvement. So It is "free standing now". If they are suppose to be that way, why so they put the tabs on the legs with the bolt holes in them? I do have a vibration at around 900 - 1000 but other than that it is running smooth. The arm not always lifting is a problem in the tension knob area. The threaded rod is handing up on the bottom triangle thingy. Not sure why. I can live with it, that setup is $60+ dollars, should be around $15 max... It isn't getting any worse, so I'm pretty use to it. I will take it off one of these days and look it over good, may be a burr some where that is catching something.

Thank you all for you input and suggestions.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X