No announcement yet.

New Pegas Blade Clamps for Seyco, Ex and Clones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea what this means, except I love my hegner. I should have listened to my business teacher in 12th grade in 1966 and went to college for programming. I blew away the aptitude tests for that. Oh well.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I just got out of the meeting with Markus Zaugg of Pegas and Bart Fellin of Grobet USA. It was fascinating. Markus switched out the top and bottom blade holders on our Jet for the new Pegas Heads, and it made a substantial difference. We'll be doing a full review in the near future, but even after using it just a few times, it made the Jet a lot more useful for me.

CW, Pegas/Grobet USA does plan to have individual parts, like the thumbscrews, available.
      Last edited by BobD; 02-13-2018, 01:27 PM.
      www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
      www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
      www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

If there is one thing I would change about the design, I would make the area immediately around the thumbscrew a little thicker to help prevent stripping, yet not add a lot of weight. I think that would have added greatly to the value.
        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Are you running into problems with it stripping already? Or is it a problem you predict?
          www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

Or if it is aluminum why not just put in a helicoil at the factory.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

A replaceable helicoil would be exquisite!!!!
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
                Are you running into problems with it stripping already? Or is it a problem you predict?
                No, and I don't expect any issues for a few years, but the threaded portion of the Pegas are not any deeper than the original, so I anticipate the same issues. I was hoping they would re-enforce right around the problem area. It takes a while for the knobs to start getting sloppy, then it is just a progression until they strip.

I like that they addressed the set screw/slipping issue, but I don't know how effective that nut will lock it in. It hasn't slipped on me yet. I don't see any reason we couldn't use a longer setscrew and nut on the original design either, might be a cool thing to try.
                Last edited by hotshot; 02-14-2018, 05:10 PM.
                "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Bob,

Thanks you for checking on replacement parts.!

While I do not see any immediate problems, with time and wear and tear they do seem to crop up.

So far I am very happy with the upgrade.
                  cwmagee
                  aka Fibber
                  Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

A few people from Pegas and Grobet are following this thread. At this time, they don't want to inject themselves directly into the conversation, but they wanted me to clarify a few things.

The original heads on the Excalibur (and clones), DeWalt, Delta, etc. are made from injection aluminum (molten aluminum is injected into a mold. Tne new Pegas heads are machined from 7075 Aeronautical Aluminum.

From Wikipedia:
                    Aluminum alloy 7075 is an aluminum alloy, with zinc as the primary alloying element. It is strong, with a strength comparable to many steels, and has good fatigue strength and average machinability.

www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

That will certainly extend the life of the threads.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

BobD that makes it sound more like an upgrade to me. Thanks for the info.
                        AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Bob D, you said that they put them on the new jet saw, and you find that it is working fine, now it can do top and bottom feed ? I have the new jet so now i think i will do the upgrade also, Thx Rj
                          Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Yes. We put it on the top and bottom. It basically transforms the Jet into an Excalibur.

In the office, we found the top blade clamp finicky at best, and since we had other saws to use, we avoided the Jet. But now, the Jet is a pretty popular saw! Literally 4 bolts to swap out to change top and bottom.

www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

Thx Bobd, will order for them today, RJ
                              Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Thank you for clarifying the material they used. I worked in a metal manufacturing shop for years. 1000 series aluminum is crazy soft and bendable, used for a lot for a/c and roof flashing. 3000 series was harder. 5000 series is used a lot for the metal parts in computers. We used 6000 series (harder still), for aerospace parts, McDonell Douglas type. As you can see.... the higher the series...the stronger the aluminum.
                                7000 would be really strong as far as aluminum goes. Very intriguing!
                                Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X