No announcement yet.

New Pegas Blade Clamps for Seyco, Ex and Clones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I "duh" myself all the time.... I wish I had a smarted "self" to talk to!
    AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

My problem is I talk to myself all the time, and sometimes I answer myself before thinking it through. Then again, I don't always listen to myself either.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Yes I read that Steve did on the clamps, when Randy gets his with his review we all should know how they work, hoping that they work on the new jet saw, I don’t like the bottom clamp but getting use to it, time will tell, Rj
        Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

I should be getting my review set soon as well. I'll definately look at how they fit the Jet (I dislike the bottom and top clamps on that saw).

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

This afternoon, I received and installed the Pegas Blade clamps on my EX21.

Initial tests cutting on scraps: They seem to work real well. I was able to increase speed to about 80% with out serious vibration. With the old EX21 clamps I would experience serious vibration at this setting. That is a good thing! I will share my experience with additional operation.

By the way the clamps have a set screw and locknut that holds set screw adjustment. This design my should eliminate the use of Loctite on the set screws.

cwmagee
            aka Fibber
            Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

I would be most interested in comparing new EX21 clamps with new Pegas clamps. New to new seems like it would be an extremely good indicator. If I read your post right, you were comparing older used clamps to new ones.

Thank you for enlightening us on the set screw and locknut set screw adjustment. That was a visual thing that couldn't be assessed from the pictures. I like that thought.
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I replaced the original EX21 clamps in Aug 2016 with replacement EX21 parts. Now I replaced the replacement EX21 Clamps with the Pegas clamps. By the way the I was experiencing issues with lower clamp again. It seems no matter careful I am in tightening the lower clamp it spreads with use.

The Pegas clamps are a bit smaller in size. However the blade slot appears to be shorter so there is not as much room for the clamps to spread. Only time will tell how well the Pegas clamps hold up.
                Last edited by cwmagee; 02-02-2018, 09:18 PM. Reason: typo
                cwmagee
                aka Fibber

Comment

Has anyone used these clamps on the new Jet saw ?
                  thx RJ
                  Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by cwmagee View Post
                    This afternoon, I received and installed the Pegas Blade clamps on my EX21.......
                    Got mine too, though I've been waiting to install until I can get some vibration measurements using the old clamps. I'll try to find the harmonic point where I have more vibration, then see if that point moves or decreases with the Pegas clamps. Because of the harmonics, Steves testing might have been totally invalid if he only tested and compared at one speed.

I have to say, the clamps are beautiful, and I like the idea of the nut to lock in the set screw, but they really should have set the gap, and tightened the nut on the set screw to serve as a reference going forward.

The packaging for the clamps was unexpectedly over the top, and I'm not sure whey they went to that effort, but it's nice they did. The instructions were minimal . . . and by minimal, I mean non-existent. I suspect there will be instructions included at some future time.

After Pegas get some feedback, I expect there will be a version 2 of these clamps, but we shall see. Seems unlikely they got these perfect right out of the gate.
                    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Phew, glad I have my hegner. It came with 3 lower blade holders and one upper. Still have 2of the original lower ones, lost one and replaced that. I’ve replaced the upper blade holder once and the thumb screw 3 Times. I replace the lower thumbscrews about once a year, at a cost about $1.50. Total cost for 17 years about $120. Other than the thumb screws, I should be good for the next 17 years. Unless I lose one.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I received mine as well. I agree about the packaging--WOW. Markus from Pegas is visiting our office next week, so I'm debating whether to install them or to wait for his visit. As you do install them, please send me any questions or comments that I can share.

Bob
                        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

BOB,

I have a question Does Pegas have or are they planning on replacement parts such as thumb screws, or tips for the thumb screws?
                          cwmagee
                          aka Fibber

Comment

I'll ask. And just to make it easier for me to keep track of the questions, Please e-mail them to me at duncan@foxchapelpublishing.com
                            (I use the sortd plugin for Gmail, and I can set up a pinboard of the questions to make sure I don't forget any--if you use Gmail, I highly recommend this plugin for productivity and organization.)
                            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Results of Pegas Clamp Testing:

Decided on using an IOS app called Seismometer on the Iphone. (http://yellowagents.com/seismometer) This app records the numerical data so we can get a qualitative measurement

The phone was placed exactly at the same place on the table for each long duration test. Since the saw takes a few seconds to reach speed and stabilize, there are some variations in data at those speed changes, so to counter I started the saw and let is stableze before I started gathering data, then if the data was skewed for the first few seconds or the last few, I eliminated the endpoint aberations.

There is some technical nastiness I had to juggle to get the results, but in short, I wrote some code to translate the raw data to a systematic measure of peak to peak amplitude. Basically, higher amplitude, the more vibration. Long duration testing ran for about a minute so that any variances would Balance out. Speed changes tend to upset the balance for a few seconds, so I eliminated skewed data where the speed changed.

My EX doesn’t have speed reference marks, but the numbers on a clock line up pretty good, so I cut out a clock face, cut out the center, taped it over my dial with 1 being the lowest speed, and top speed just happens to land exactly on 11. Vibration starts kicking in 6, but stays about the same until 8, then starts getting more dramatic after that, so I decided to use 7, 9, 10, and 11 as my speeds to use for comparison points.

There is one important thing to understand, when you add or subtract weight, you may move the point of harmonic resonance. When I tested the heavier Hegner knob on the original clamps, I saw increased vibration, except at one point, where resonance had made vibration with the lighter clamp higher.

PegasVibrationTest.png
                              Last edited by hotshot; 02-14-2018, 03:32 PM.
                              "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Randy,

Thanks for the test vibration info. Your data seems to support my observations. I have now used my EX21 with the Pegas blade clamps for 9 days for 2- 3 hours each day. I have not had a blade slip from the lower clamp. By the way I have been cutting a variety woods, Paduk, Yellow, Heart, Aspen, Pine, WRC during this period.

For me that was a major source of frustration with the EX21 Clamps. After replacing a blade, I would try to sneak up on the optimum torque. Invariably I would have several attempts where the blade would slip completely out of clamp. Quite often I would also fine that the blade tension would change because of blade slippage. When I noticed higher vibration it usually was time to re-clamp the lower blade clamp.

Since eliminating the slippage issue blade changing is no longer the challenge that used to be.

cwmagee
                                aka Fibber

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                                  Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                                  by Bill Wilson
                                  First, follow the instructions on the can, regarding wait time between coats. I would think that for the first couple coats, re-applying while the previous coat was still tacky wouldn't be terrible, but I would warn that building several coats without allowing proper drying time, will extend the overall,...
                                  Today, 08:50 AM
                                • Don in Brooklin On
                                  Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                                  by Don in Brooklin On
                                  I use wipe on poly quite often and I apply 2 thin coats before sanding with 220 or 320. I wipe with a lint free. Someone told me not to use tack cloth as you can leave behind a wee bit of beeswax witch could cause issues later on.

I make sure that the surface is dry and not tacky before...
                                  Yesterday, 05:41 AM
                                • dwssr2
                                  wipe on poly and tack cloth
                                  by dwssr2
                                  Question, when sanding polyurethane in between coats, using a tack cloth, is it ok to wipe on poly while the project seems tacky or should a person wait a few hours to let it dry?
                                  How necessary is it to sand between coats of polyurethane? I am sure people have a lot of different opinions and...
                                  04-24-2019, 05:58 PM
                                • tgiro01
                                  Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                                  by tgiro01
                                  Betty asked: "Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due to its complexity but - if they leave it laying around and a child gets a part and chokes, is that my responsibility or theirs?"...
                                  04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
                                • RJweb
                                  Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                                  by RJweb
                                  The problem now a days everyone is sue happy, no matter who’s at fault, RJ...
                                  04-24-2019, 10:03 AM
                                Working...
                                X