No announcement yet.

New Pegas Blade Clamps for Seyco, Ex and Clones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I asked Pegas about pricing and such, and they had one of their vendors in the U.S. contact me. I've never heard of these guys, but here is a link to these clamps on their site: https://qtena.com/pegas-scroll-saw-b...et-p-9607.html

After shipping, the price was over $90, which is really too much for this I think. Hopefully they will come down a bit on those prices.

In any case, I did order this to try/review.

------Randy
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

We look forward to hearing your analysis and observations. Thank you for venturing into this variation for us all.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

D & D are big sellers of Pagas blades. I wonder if they will carry this for a lower price.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I sent D & D an email asking. I also called Bear Wood who confirmed that they will also be carrying these for $90 + S&H, so I'm thinking we are going to be stuck with that $90 price point. Sigh, even if these are a lot better, that price will cause folks to pause and hinder adoption. . . . but for me, I spend a lot of time on the saw, so if it makes my time more enjoyable, it will be worth it to me.

I also have some exciting news on the Hawk 3rd party front . . . . coming soon.

-----Randy
          Last edited by hotshot; 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM.

Comment

If they are really an upgrade and work great, that is only around $30 more than buying a set of the original clamps. If they work better, last longer..... not so far out of line, price wise.
            AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

It is probably like Festool where the price will be the same everywhere you go. Hawk 3rd party?
              Last edited by Rolf; 01-13-2018, 09:24 AM.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Randy,

I bought my EX21 about three years ago. I have already replaced the jaws once and I am about ready for another replacement. Considering the that frequency of replacement. $90 dollars is a bargain..
                cwmagee
                aka Fibber
                Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Originally posted by cwmagee View Post
                  Randy,

I bought my EX21 about three years ago. I have already replaced the jaws once and I am about ready for another replacement. Considering the that frequency of replacement. $90 dollars is a bargain..
                  When you say it that way, it doesn't seem so bad :-). I hope they really are better. It still takes quite a while to wear out the older style clamps, so assuming the Pegas clamps work great out of the gate, it will take some time to determine if they last as long.

I heard back from D&D and they were starting to looking into these clamps.

--------Randy

Comment

I ordered a set from the link you provided in your initial tread. I am patiently awaiting the arrivial.
                    cwmagee
                    aka Fibber
                    Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Originally posted by cwmagee View Post
                      I ordered a set from the link you provided in your initial tread. I am patiently awaiting the arrivial.
                      I'm waiting, but not patiently :-)

I'm glad you ordered some. It is nice to have multiple perspective.

Comment

I sent an email to QTE just to see if they had them in stock. While my clamps are holding the blades OK now (I just cleaned the tips of the set screw and thumbscrew.), I noticed that the thumb screw, in the upper clamp is getting pretty loose and wobbly when it isn't tightened. I think the threads in the clamp are starting to wear out.

Looking at Seyco's website: I see that stock upper and lower clamps sell for $69.74 + shipping. The pair of clamps with Seyco's modified locking lever are $84.74 + shipping.

So the Pegas clamps are actually a little pricier than the GI clamps. I know that some folks will sell them for less than the MSRP, so they may be competitive with the Seyco modified clamps. But are they really that much better? I understand they are being sold in Europe now. Are there any reviews on them yet?
                        Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I read an email from Steve Good. He received the item to review. I thought it was an excellent review.
                          Denny
                          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I found it remarkable that the clamps would also fit the 788 and Jet. I think I had asked Steve (or maybe someone else) in Atlanta if the Jet clamp attachments were close enough to the EX to exchange the clamp mechanisms and the answer was no. Makes we wonder if that was true now.

So, having the ability to change out the clamps on the Jet suddenly makes that saw a viable option for top feeders. For that group, this is super huge.

Steve didn't seem to think there was much difference in actual real world use. However, if the clamps were less susceptible to spreading/stripping, that would make me happy. Also, sounds like there is a locking mechanism for the set screw, which has required a loctite fix from time to time, though not $90 nice, it would be nice nevertheless.

In any case, mine should be coming in any day, so I'll see how they do. If they wear out, I can always switch back to the old style.

Comment

I wonder on the Jet, can you just replace the bottom clamp and keep the top clamp? And it that works you could buy an Ex/Seyco bottom clamp for $30 and not have to have the clamp that requires a tool and also top feed versa paying $90 for the Pegas set, although that red sure is pretty...

I'm anxious to read what you think of them Randy. Reading Steve's review, did not excite me much, but things can't be based on one review.

Never mind, I figured it out in my little brain. The upper clamp on a jet releases the blade when it releases the tension. Could not top feed, with it. Duh!
                              Last edited by Scrappile; 01-28-2018, 04:39 PM.
                              AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Scrappile -- that posting was awesome. To be able to "duh" ourselves is outstanding!
                                Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X