No announcement yet.

FD Blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I cut a puzzle of approximately a square foot with 350 pieces out of 1/4" wood and hold the completed puzzle up by a corner, the diagonal measurement will be as much as 1/4" more if I used Olsen blades than if I used FD 2/0 Superior Puzzle blades. The FD blades cut that much thinner and tighter.

Carter

Comment

Not to start a blade war but!
      It all comes down to what you get used to and your style of cut.
      I started with Olson blades especially the 2 and 2/0. Most of my work is in this range. I can do very tight fast turns with the Olson. I try to do the same with the FD 2/0 and the thin blade flexes and takes time to recover so I would have to change my cutting style.
      I have Olson , Pegas , and FD blades and ilike all of them in different sizes and applications.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I think that's the best description I've heard, Rolf.

It's like other woodworking tools; I'll focus on carving chisels and gouges. There are a few major manufacturers of carving tools (Ashley Illes, Flexcut, Two Cherries, Pfiel, etc.) and each has their own plusses and minuses. Flexcut boasts a flexible shaft, but the trade-off is that the steel is not hardened as far up the shaft (the hardened shaft wouldn't flex). Ashley Illes features a very thick blade, which feels very comfortable in my hand. Pfiel are lighter and quick (so to speak). I have all three manufacturers, and use them as I need them...each has a different use!

I look at scroll saw blades the same way. They all have their purposes, and I use them as such.

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Here is an idea for a good article on blades. Let's do a blind study on a variaty of blade manufacturers and their different blades.

You would need several volunteers to be testers. Each tester would receive blindly labeled blades from each manufacturer and a pattern. The same pattern would be used for all tests. All participants would submit their findings and an average rating would be applied.

Test in 1/4 plywood, 3/4 pine and 3/4 oak. Other materials can be added depending on how in depth you want to go.
          1. Turning Radius (incorporated in the pattern)
          2. Blade endurance (how long it lasted through the test)
          3. Aggressiveness of cut
          4. Blade breakage?
          5. Overall performance
          I am sure other categories are appropriate too.
          The results can be presented without making recommendations.
          Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Dan,
            Good idea. It's something we've been thinking about for quite some time...but we're still working out the details!

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I have to agree with Evie about Mike and the FD blades. I have imported many different brands of blades over the years and from most suppliers you receive no personal service, but Mike is different. He is friendly and helpful and supplies an excellent product.
              Sue Mey

Comment

I started cutting some animal puzzles over the weekend, 3/4" Maple. I started with an Olson #2 rev tooth, it broke just after the 1st piece, then used an Olson Mach series #3. Lasted a bit longer. I finished the puzzle (9pieces) with a FD rev tooth #3. Due to the smell I could tell the blade was getting a workout. Blade also turned the color of getting to hot. I made some tight turns, thought for sure the blade would have broke. Still able to cut with it. I have alot of Olson blades various sizes, still use them but I prefer the FD blades for thicker hard woods. As previously stated "comes down to what you get used to and your style of cut". Just sharing my experiences.
                Happy Scrolling Holidays.
                Dean

Comment

Dan,
                  There are other variables to consider.
                  1. The Saw makes a huge difference.
                  2. The person behind the saw
                  3. Who tensions the blade. My idea of tight and yours may be very different.

I think the only way for that review to work is to have A person do the blind test on the same machine with some means of measuring actual blade tension. Which also presents another problem , my FD blades work better with more tension than my Olson.

Not a trivial or simple test by any means, Good luck Bob
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks for seeing my problem, Rolf <GRIN>

Bob
                    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I recently purchased some FD blades and tried them for the first time last night. I used #2 reverse on some 1/4 ply, cutting a complicated portrait type picture. It was getting late and I had been cutting for 2 hours, so I decided to cut until the blade needed changing and then go to bed (it was midnight then). At 1:30 am, I was still cutting! I could still be there! The only difference was a slight reduction in the speed of the cut, but the blade did not break, was not going off course or burning the wood and it had been threaded about 30 times and got slightly bent in the process. I think I may be using them exclusively from now on, at least for this kind of cut!

Sue

Comment

Based on the talk here and on other sites I went with Mike and his FD blades when I got into scrolling. Haven't looked back.

Mike C.
                        Mike C.

Comment

LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

MIke is a very nice person to deal with. I have tried various brand name blands and have so far returned to the F. D. blades because of the consistant quality.
                            Dean Hammond

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                              Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                              by will8989
                              Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
                              Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                            • Jim McDonald
                              by Jim McDonald
                              My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
                              Yesterday, 07:07 PM
                            • Redlee
                              Hello all, new here.
                              by Redlee
                              New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
                              I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
                              Thanks
                              Yesterday, 05:54 PM
                            • Ralph123
                              Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                              by Ralph123
                              I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                              Yesterday, 02:05 PM
                            • meflick
                              by meflick
                              Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                              Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                            Working...
                            X