No announcement yet.

Thinking of getting another new Scroll Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a definite advantage to having his and her shops, with free rights to "borrow" anything that's needed. Since we are homebodies at heart, and cooking is as much a regular activity as shopwork, we usually measure the cost of tools in terms of the dinners out that we didn't have.

And Rolf's right about how a good drum sander becomes indispensable. At. 34 or 60 grit it functions as a planer, but much kinder to the wood. Since it goes down to 1/32", we can get a lot of mileage out of resawn pieces, and can even salvage those that have those annoying trapezoidal profiles.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I have a complete list of everything along with pictures of all the medal serial plates showing tool info for insurance purposes. Also once a year take a video of inside the house room by room. This is on a flash drive in the safe and one in the safety deposit box. As my insurance agent said they replace what we have not what we think we have.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Carole, Bruce has no worries about me borrowing the table saw. Ever.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
          And Rolf's right about how a good drum sander becomes indispensable. At. 34 or 60 grit it functions as a planer, but much kinder to the wood. Since it goes down to 1/32", we can get a lot of mileage out of resawn pieces, and can even salvage those that have those annoying trapezoidal profiles.
          I have had a drum sanded in the back of my mind as my next tool. Maybe in a few years. =)

Comment

Here's how I set it up for now. I hooked the pedal up to a dust vac, and have a small fan sitting on my bandsaw to keep dust moving to a collector on the other side.

Comment

That looks like a nice band saw, what brand?
              I don't see any sawdust?
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                That looks like a nice band saw, what brand?
                I don't see any sawdust?
                The Bandsaw is a RIkon 14"... and the sawdust was a rare cleanup as I moved things around. =)

Comment

Looks like my Rikon 10-325, except mine is blue. Thing creates a ton of sawdust/shavings. That bandsaw and the Supermax is what put me onto trying to create the monster dust collector.

So anyway, major congrats on the saw and an incredible bargain to go with it. New saws are so much fun.
                  Last edited by hotshot; 07-17-2017, 10:01 PM.
                  "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Bstark, how does that little Shop-Vac dust collector work for you. I have been looking at on, wondering if it would work better than my box fan/filter set up. The reviews written on it are very mixed...
                    AKA Paul from Washington State
                    Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappile View Post
                      Bstark, how does that little Shop-Vac dust collector work for you. I have been looking at on, wondering if it would work better than my box fan/filter set up. The reviews written on it are very mixed...
                      I like it. It is portable, so I can sit it by the scroll saw with a little cross air or just blow the dust off toward it, or flip it around and do my sanding close to it. It also seems to do a decent job at clearing the particles after I use the planner or table saw. I am sure it isn't a effective as the expensive ones you mount etc... but it works for now. I think a box fan with a furnace filter tapped on or attached might do something similar for cheaper, and honestly if I would have thought of that I would have at least tried it first... but it didn't occur to me.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
                        AKA Paul from Washington State
                        Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Boy I wish I would have noticed the blade holders ship without the set screws being set at all. Strange that they do that. I do recall now a video I watched mentioned that... but in my excitement to test the saw I totally forgot, and there was a 1/2 hour of agony as I broke blades, cursed etc... until I realized what is going on. I looked in the manual and there wasn't anything in there regarding setting the screws for the blade holder.
                          Last edited by bstark; 07-19-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Check the set screw in the bottom blade holder to be sure it's set the same way on each holder. If not, it may affect squaring the blade to the table. Same for the set screws in the upper holder, which may need to be tweaked for tiny blades.

Also, I found that when inserting the blade in the lower holder, it's best to push it through until it just appears out the other end, then back it off a bit. This gives you a longer blade, which makes it easier to insert into the upper holder.

Try a small vacuum break in your shop vac to make the dust collector less likely to create drag on your workpiece. I made one from an extra hose fitting, but some people use a Y.

The tech people at Jet do not know much about the saw, unfortunately, since there are a few little tricks like these that can make all the difference.

Carole

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
                              Try a small vacuum break in your shop vac to make the dust collector less likely to create drag on your workpiece. I made one from an extra hose fitting, but some people use a Y.
                              Great idea... I haven't had a chance to cut much but I did cut something yesterday and I could definitely tell the suction was making it harder to push the piece than it should have been. I was thinking 'this wood must be denser than I thought' but now you mentioned this, I think it was just the suction. =) My shop vac can be turned down, so maybe just turning it all the way down will do the trick.

Comment

I tried adjusting the suction on my Festool, and it still needed more air when all the holes were covered. I don't want to mess with the expensive dust extractor, so I'll just use the Rigid with the "adaptor".

Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                                  Reply to Drum sander tool
                                  handibunny
                                  Just saw an interview about the new SuperMax 16-32 on Facebook, and it was mentioned that the new folding infeed and outfeed tables are available for the 19-38. Price is about $149.
                                  Today, 03:30 PM
                                • will8989
                                  Reply to Woodpeckers
                                  will8989
                                  Yes the email said one and done. Bruce rates their tools with Inca.
                                  Today, 02:33 PM
                                • bstark
                                  Reply to Scrapwood Bowl
                                  bstark
                                  Brilliant! I love it. I have tons of scrap wood that I just can't part with... and I have been pondering what I should do with it. Some of the pieces can be used with intarsia, but honestly, I am running out of storage for it. This is a great idea that I will be happy to borrow. =) Nice work.
                                  Today, 11:01 AM
                                • Stoney
                                  Reply to This doesn't happen often in the shop
                                  Stoney
                                  Yeah blade clamps falling on the floor huh? And I thought that only happened with a Hegner. I couldn't believe it the first time it happened to me with my Hegner. I finally got tired of looking for the bottom clamp when it left the scene and decided to do something about it.. I made a combination...
                                  Today, 10:47 AM
                                • BobD
                                  Reply to Drum sander tool
                                  BobD
                                  (facebook algorithms not allowing me to find the page right now... doh.) If the new one is the same one I receive a press release about (the quick adjustment lever, and folding infeed/outfeed tables), I've reached out to them asking if these can be retrofit onto older sanders...

Bob
                                  Today, 10:04 AM
                                Working...
                                X