No announcement yet.

Seyco Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is very simple Rolf, I sold my Ex, because I was working on a deal for another Hegner, and I had a buyer for my Ex. In my part of the country, scroll saws a hard to sell, so I sold. Then I backed out of the Hegner deal. At that time Seyco came out with their saw. Excalibur saws were not being made anymore, so based solely on my love for the Ex, and my experience in dealing with Seyco, I bought their new saw. I have no real regrets. I did like the gear driven head tilting on the Ex better, even thought I never used it. I did work it a few times and it seamed to work very smooth and nice. But never had an occasion to use it while I had the Ex. I do like the larger table of the Seyco. The hole in the table top was a mistake on Seyco's part in my opinion, and only because they wanted to say they could cut a little thicker wood than the next saw... I could be wrong here, but that is how I interrupted it. Washers under the table raised it enough that the hole wasn't necessary, but you give up the thickness of the washer's height in cutting depth. Means nothing to me. I always lose some because I use an auxiliary table on top all my scroll saws anyway, I did not like the magnetic top and didn't need it. I gave it away. Anyway, that is why I have a Seyco.
    AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

The reason I purchased a new Seyco saw is I had already rebuilt my Ex21 twice new linkage and drive assembly and blade holders, not terribly expensive but not cheap either. It has many hours on it and wanted to have a new saw that hopefully would not break down and last for another several years. I have to agree with most other posts on the negative things about the Seyco. I have come to like the larger table but not the magnetic table top. Ray and i are still working on the vibration problem, it is now stand mounted which I do not like as I have everything in my shop built around a table mount. The stand changed the vibration issue very little. Maybe I am being picky but a smooth saw makes a much nicer scrolling experience. Ray says they test each saw on their stand in the shop before shipping and that mine passed.

Scrappile could you tell me how you attached the auxiliary table top to your saw please.

Linda I have a Skill bench mounted drill press, it is a few years old but no vibration. However the first one I bought did vibrate badly, not sure what was wrong but returned to store and got another. Might be your best bet if you can.

Comment

If you are not seeing any runout on the drill then in all probability the chuck is properly seated. I would also check the pulleys themselves to make sure they are tight and not bent or wobbling. I would look at the motor make sure it is tight and that the pulleys align perfectly with the others. There really isn't much else that can go wonky. I had a cheap HF bench top that had a very short taper chuck (not typical) every time I drill a hole bigger than 3/8 the chuck literally fell off. Very unnerving to say the least.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Drill press vibration update - Rolf, thank you. My son-in-law had to work overtime, so I was on my own. I checked the vibration, and it was bad on all speeds. Reseated the chuck (thank you u-tube video someone posted), and it had zero effect. Got out the manual again and checked everything from front to back.

Being far more academic then mechanically intuitive I combed thru the manual again. One spot caught my eye where it was vague in the assembly instructions. It said make sure the belt pulleys "are aligned". Aligned to what, and how, they did NOT specifically say. But their pic showed a straight edge laid on top of the pulleys, appearing to align or center them from front of machine to back. Mine were. Inadvertently, I saw something else....when my straight edge was on top, it laid flush on top of the front pulley, but only touched only the back edge of the rear (motor) pulley....the front edge of the rear pulley missed the straight edge by just about 3/16 inch. It was tipped at an angle.

Thinking that might be a source of problem, with the belts slack, I loosened the motor mounts behind the machine and adjusted the motor over and up til the straight edged touched everything (it was a factory mounted motor and it said shouldn't need touched--oh well, I was experimenting). Tightened everything back down, and guess what? On most of the speeds the vibration is absolutely gone. When you move the belts up to attain the highest speed, it pulls that rear pulley for the motor back into the cocked position just a tad (about 1/16"), and some of the vibration is back. Not nearly as bad as it was, but only on that highest speed. What a difference!

Slowly but surely I am exploring the mechanical side of this stuff. It doesn't come naturally to me, and I struggle with it. But you Rolf, and others, help quite substantially. Your experience is appreciated!
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Hey, I got a rattle in my truck that no one has been able to find the source of,,,, think maybe you could have a look??!
            Glad you are getting it worked out.
            AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Linda - congratulations on fixing it! What a wonderful feeling to be able to figure it out!
              Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappile View Post
                Hey, I got a rattle in my truck that no one has been able to find the source of,,,, think maybe you could have a look??!
                Glad you are getting it worked out.
                Look for BBs inside the door panel!
                Jim
                When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I read some of the reviews on that drill press. I like to read the unfavorable ones first. It says that the pulleys are plastic, is that correct?
                  That in itself is not necessarily bad as over the years I have done lots of things with material like Delrin and other plastics.
                  I am glad that you have been able to resolve your issues.
                  I have always loved mechanical things, that is what gave a me great career, as I was a lazy academic.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The Skil model drill I have came with the standard rubber type pulleys. I’ve had plastic and other ones too. But these are definitely the old fashioned kind. Other then my initial vibration issue, I’ve enjoyed this drill. It’s really easy to loosen belts to change speeds, which was a priority for me. I’d give it a thumbs up.
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I am sure you guy's are getting tired of hearing about the Seyco ST 21. Have any of you that kept the original table cover had any issues with it. I know several of you discarded it and made your own. After using it for two weeks the area around the blade hole on the table cover has really deteriorated. Turned grey and kind of sticky rubber after wearing through the top layer. I am cutting Poplar and Baltic birch and sand the wood after drilling holes in the waste areas. After paying $ 900.00 you wouldn't think a person would have issues with something as simple as a table cover and have to replace it. Ray said it should last around a year. I did get rid of a little of the vibration issue by stand mounting the saw. Not what i really wanted. Not sure yet I am keeping the saw. Don't know what else to buy in that price range. Had a Hegner 18 in Multi Max ( don't beat me up ) did not like it. Have not seen a Hawk to compare vibration and ease of use. for your input Good or Bad.

grizz -- Oregon

Comment

I have no trouble changing the speed on my drill presses. Bruce does it for me. I can’t do anything with my left hand that requires pressure. I have a separate drill press for my flap sander at a slower speed. I also have to wrap my thumb when I do any woodworking. My thumb and finger are as good as they’re gonna get.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                          Ladder Legs
                          leehljp
                          I subscribe to a daily email from "homemade tools" and a few are hilarious, and some are ingenious. Here is an amusing one:
                          http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...-18#post115897

Enjoy.
                          Today, 07:06 PM
                        • Scrappile
                          Reply to Elk Meadow
                          Scrappile
                          Well done. Elk, are one of the most beautiful animals in North America as far as I am concerned.
                          Today, 01:04 PM
                        • Sandy Oaks
                          Reply to Pricing
                          Sandy Oaks
                          Lee, we have a pen turner displayed at ArtCrafters. Many of the pens are $25 and we sell maybe 4 - 5 each month. I am sure at a place like Knoxville he could more than double the price....
                          Today, 09:34 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                          Rolf
                          We could not do that in our kitchen the ceiling and walls are way too crooked. So to fool the eye some of our cabinets go all of the way up with trim molding the others are lower also with crown molding. There is no continuous line to catch the eye.
                          Today, 08:34 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                          will8989
                          WHAT? We’re taking them down? Bruce decided he should have put them flush with the ceiling so we’re taking them down and raising them 1/2”!!! Do you know how heavy these are? He decided he wanted as narrow as possible, or no, molding at the top at all. And yes, Scott they have stuff in them.😲😲...
                          Today, 08:26 AM
                        Working...
                        X