Seyco ordered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seyco ordered

Got my Seyco ordered a couple of days ago and supposed to arrive by Fed Ex Monday. Looking forward to driving it and hope I will be happy with the decision and investment.
    Doug

Take what you do seriously
    Never take yourself too seriously

What saw do you use now? I saw one in Atlanta and it carries on the EX tradition. If you have never used a 788/EX type of saw before, you are in for a treat.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Looking forward to your review of the Seyco. Have fun!
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I do love it when folks get new toys. I really look forward to your review of the saw being used on a regular basis.
        My problem is every time someone on this forum gets a new toy I start to twitch for a new one also.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, somehow I don't think that your Hawk is in jeopardy!
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I started with DW788 years ago and moved to an EX21 and gave the DW788 to a high school shop instructor. Decided I always wanted to have a second saw as backup and bought a Hawk BM26 a couple of years ago but found the lack of a swivel end on thumb screw clamps caused a lot of blade breakage with spiral blades which I use almost exclusively. Hawk had a different size thumb screw so could not use DW or EX thumb screws which are interchangeable and Bushton was not willing to change their thumb screws. Both DW and EX have the swivel ends on thumb screws and never gave me a problem with blade breakage. Ray tells me Seyco has the same swivel end thumb screws. Thought Hawk was a great machine but needed to sell it to fit what I do (sorry Rolf and Hawk lovers). Love my EX21 but it is getting a little tired so hoping I like the Seyco and then EX21 will be a backup after some repair to stop vibration which has started. Lots of good miles on the EX21 so it is due for a rest and some repairs. Had a machinest friend make a larger EX table for me which I really enjoy so glad the Seyco has a large table. Do not need the angle gauge and wish Ray had instead put a timer on it like the Eclipse had - I may need to figure out how to do that without having to get one which needs manual starting. Would like one which goes on and off with the saw like I have my vacuum do.

Will give a review after driving a while.
            Doug

Comment

Congrats on the new saw. Would appreciate a review when you put it through the paces.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
                Rolf, somehow I don't think that your Hawk is in jeopardy!
                Truer words have never been spoken.
                Jim
                When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Pigs View Post
                  wish Ray had instead put a timer on it like the Eclipse had - I may need to figure out how to do that without having to get one which needs manual starting. Would like one which goes on and off with the saw like I have my vacuum do.

Will give a review after driving a while.
                  Steve Good has some information on timers. Last month or so.
                  Jim
                  When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                  Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Congratulations! I think you are going to love the Seyco even more than the Ex21. I agree on the angle gauge. Just doesn't appeal to me, but they are great for other uses. I rely on one for setting angles on my table saw mostly. I am a little put out, though, with Seyco at the moment. A couple weeks ago I filled out the forum on their site to reserve one. Got no response so I email and inquired if they had received it. I did get a response affirming they had and they would be in touch with me by yesterday. Then I read they are selling and shipping at the first of this week, I have heard nothing. I guess it is not a big deal, but it is not up to par with the past service I have received from them. Dumb me, already sold my Ex21 so I am down so my Hegner only. But me and the Hegner work fine together. I miss having two saws, was a great convenience,

I appreciate you comments on the Hawk. I have never been around a Hawk other than to look at a few from a distance. On the thumb screw, I wonder if one could find the after market swivel in one that would fit. or how much problem would it be to drill and tap the Hawk clamp to take the screw that fits?
                    AKA Paul from Washington State
                    22" Hegner.

Comment

Paul

Folks at Bushton put me on to Fastenal for a thumb screw with swivel end of the necessary size and thread but it was about an inch and a half long and totally unsuitable for use with the Hawk. I was hoping they would consider a thumb screw with swivel end would be a good change to their product but they just observed that most people do not use spirals that much and those who do just hammer the ends flat - not acceptable to me. For you, drilling and tapping might work - I am too timid to do that. Also, other than the thumb screw I had gotten so spoiled with my oversized custom EX table top I really did not care for the small tear drop table top of the Hawk. I really do not mean this to be beating up on Hawk as the folks are great at Bushton (I drove there to pick it up) and I think it is a great machine - just not great for me.

I was having the same issue with Seyco on notification as I had put in my reservation on the basis of the web site saying they would call or e-mail. I discovered they could be ordered just by happening to check the web site - still have not received an e-mail based on my reservation.

Jim

Saw the Steve Good time info and have kind of been looking around for something I would like.
                      Doug

Comment

Thank Doug, for the input. I do a lot of detail fret work and have been afraid of the Hawk for some reason. I do know, and agree with you, on a saw that expensive I should not have to pound the ends of spiral blades flat to get them to work. In the great scheme of things, seems like them changing that screw would be minor. Would cause some retooling I guess. I did some searching on those screws. They can be found but in most places they start at 1/4 x 20threads. Maybe I should bite the bullet and order the Seyco, I know I loved the Ex, no question about it.
                        Last edited by Scrappile; 05-20-2017, 09:42 AM.
                        AKA Paul from Washington State
                        22" Hegner.

Comment

Of topic but Any thump screw will have some issue with A non flattened spiral. The screws with the swivel end will help prevent the "hockey stick effect on the ends of all blades. I switched my upper blade clamp on my Hawk to the old Delta quick clamps, best of all worlds.
                          I will have to investigate the swivel end screws.

Doug, the best saw is what works for you I am glad you found that saw.

Carole I wasn't thinking of a new scroll saw. I will have to wait until my birthday to see what June surprises me with. But I may need a Festool vac.
                          Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Pigs View Post
                            Got my Seyco ordered a couple of days ago and supposed to arrive by Fed Ex Monday. Looking forward to driving it and hope I will be happy with the decision and investment.
                            Please give us a report after you drive it a few miles!

I have a Hawk 220 and a Hegner - used very little - that I'm hoping to sell and get enough $$ to buy the new Seyco.
                            Regards,
                            Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

What vintage are the Hawk and Hegner?
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• turtleteasers
                                Reply to Triangular Pieces
                                turtleteasers
                                [What blade for this?]

I used a Pegas 2/0 skip tooth blade for this and all my 1/4" plywood puzzles. Any 2/0 blade will give similar results, as long as it is a simple blade which cuts only on the down-stroke. I stick with Pegas because I have found them to be consistent....
                                Today, 12:16 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Triangular Pieces
                                Rolf
                                Lots of Wow's here also. What blade for this?
                                Today, 10:20 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Black lacquer
                                Rolf
                                Are you thinking spray or brush? If it is a big grain you will need to use a grain filler, I have never used a filler so can't help much there. This may help a bit.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...k_Lacquer.html
                                Today, 10:16 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Kitchen cabinets officially started today!!!
                                Rolf
                                Looking good! What will you do with the shelf edges?
                                Today, 10:11 AM
                              • campasano
                                Reply to Whirligig
                                campasano
                                Rolf, I use White pine or Cedar but the most important aspect is the painting technique. I always put on a white primer, use fine steel wool to remove imperfections, Apply exterior outdoor paint, rub fine steel wool after each application when dry and final finish I apply clear poly ( spray can )...
                                Today, 09:59 AM
                              Working...
                              X