Harbor Freight Gems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Gems

I borrowed this info from another WW forum. The guy who posted it is an exceptional wood worker. Not fancy or museum pieces but functional and practical. And if he makes something it is made to last.

"Harbor Freight is jokingly referred to as "horrible freight," but some of their items can't be beat considering both price and quality. I'm only going to list a couple items that I have but I'm sure there are others who have been satisfied with their purchases. The one that I bought first when they weren't even on the east coast. Dial indicator, magnetic base, and dial calipers. Use dial indicator to align saw, check height of knives on jointer etc. Dial calipers are used to check: bolt / hole sizes and thickness of wood off the planer, brake caliper thickness"
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

I confess that I also have a few of their tools. Like you Scott I purchased them long before they had storefronts here. Several pneumatic tools for body working on my TVR. Most recently I bought this hydraulic ram kit. It allows me to do lots of things by myself gently and safely.
    Also nytril gloves. But I would not buy things like scroll saws or lathes etc. or power tools that will get constant use.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have been using their "digital" calipers for about 12 years now. Very good for small wood working parts and pen turning.
      Hank Lee
      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Harbor Freight opened a store in our area a couple years ago. Prior to that I had never set foot in one. I've browsed it a few times and spent a few dollars on things like casters for my router table, nitrile gloves, acid brushes, etc. A few of us at work were talking about HF one day and one fellow said his rule of thumb is to never buy anything at HF that could hurt or kill him if it failed. I thought that was a pretty good perspective.

That said, I'm probably going to pick up a roofing nailer (maybe 2) later this Summer, as I prepare to put a new roof on my house. I have heard mostly good things about several of their pneumatic tools. For the $$, it's hard to go wrong for occasional use.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill, Having fallen and shattering my elbow while getting off the roof, I invested in this. Highly recommend it I now use it anytime I am working at high elevations.
          http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Ro...1201/203907961
          Rolf

Comment

When I wanted to do some wood lathe work several years ago, I saw the their larger lathe was considered as a good starter lathe, I got it on sale for less than $300. Used it for around five years and sold it for $250. It was a decieint lathe especially for the price.
            AKA Paul from Washington State
            21" Excalibur
            22" Hegner.

Comment

I like their tent sales, don't buy much little things, but nice to browse and talk with others about harbor freight of what is good or not so good, RJ
              Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                Bill, Having fallen and shattering my elbow while getting off the roof, I invested in this. Highly recommend it I now use it anytime I am working at high elevations.
                http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Ro...1201/203907961
                Thanks for the tip Rolf. Getting one of those would be a good idea, but I'd feel bad for the other 4-5 guys that will be helping me.
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Like my wife says they can play Pinada with you if you fall`. I have a 12-12 pitch on my front roof. The one I took a dive off is almost flat.
                  Please be careful, the nail guns ave a huge amount of time and wear and tear on the wrists.
                  What was an added advantage I could work with both hands as the harness supported me. This was 4 years ago when I was putting in another window. DSC_7217 (600 x 402).jpg
                  Last edited by Rolf; 04-21-2017, 04:35 PM.
                  Rolf

Comment

I have a few harbor freight tools, a angle grinder I have used alot and no issues, have a brad nailer that works good does tend to jam if using HF brads, its also a stapler, a pin nailer, a small drill press, digital calipers, I but alot if usables, like sand paper, grinding wheels, cut off wheels, they are cheaper then name brand stuff though may not last as long but its cheaper to drop a couple bucks on something thats going to be used and wear out. I haven't bought hand tools yet but have seen some decent socket sets though I have plenty of that and wrenches but am wanting some rachetting open end wrenches for working tight spots.

For the home once a while uses harbor freight stuff is good, but heavy duty everyday shop use I wouldn't trust them to hold up long.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                      Reply to Business Cards
                      tgiro01
                      I print mine using folded card stock. I keep around a dozen in each car and set out 40 - 50 at each showing ( and have run out a coupe times). I know they work because people come back - email or call.

Here is the outside and inside of the cards...
                      Today, 08:50 PM
                    • Wild Bill
                      Reply to My 56 Chevy project
                      Wild Bill
                      Very nice. I think I know what is giving the bad eye. The front bumper needs to have a small bit shaved off on the right side. It looks as if there is a bump hanging down. I see it in the picture also. I think that it has to do with the lighting. I would take a straight edge and lay it on the...
                      Today, 07:12 PM
                    • hotshot
                      Reply to My 56 Chevy project
                      hotshot
                      What is this "fuming" method?
                      Today, 03:51 PM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      Reply to Dream Catcher with Butterfly
                      Sandy Oaks
                      This item was purchased at ArtCrafters today. I may have to make more.
                      Today, 03:21 PM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to vet THANK YOU
                      Rolf
                      i am sure they appreciated them! They look great.
                      Today, 03:17 PM
                    Working...
                    X