Another outdoor carving question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another outdoor carving question

I have been commisioned to carve a dog, 20-29 inches tall, in a sitting position. This dog is being adapted from a cartoon drawing so the look of the dog is specific. The question is in wood selection. It will be an outdoor carving, and painted (probably oil based enamels) but the tail and ears stick out and present a breakage problem. First I was going to use basswood or cedar, but I don't think it will be strong enough. Then I thought of every wood from from oak to maple to walnut, but I don't want to blow my budget. It will be brought in for the winters but stay outside for the other three seasons. I want a wood that is pretty stable and won't expand and contract thusly cracking the paint. Any Ideas?
    I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

Re: Another outdoor carving question

I have done a Gnome for outdoors painted with Enamel rostpaint and I have used a piece of a Hydro pole. it has to be either Spruce or Pine I also did a Maid from Pine and it also sits outdoors just washed with stain both are about 2-3' high I cover it with plastic in the winter and it has been sitting there for 3 -4 years and nothing changed, I hope this helps??
      Agkubas

Comment

I'd carve the ears and tail and legs seperatley with the wood grain going longways then use dowels to peg them to the carving.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I looked at Cypress (my first choice) I would have to glue up about 10 boards, plus it would blow my budget. I am either going to go with Basswood or Poplar then peg the tail and ears. My preference is Poplar for strength, but well see how the price looks.
          I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X