Delta Drum sander died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta Drum sander died

i shouldn't complain but that wasn't in my budget. The motor died about 6 years ago with one week left on the warranty. Got it fixed on the warranty but it has finally died. Bruce said it is the small motor that turns the table. He couldn't find anything wrong with it so it probably just wore out.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

I see a SuperMax in your future. Got a birthday coming soon? Mother' Day?

And Bruce will love it, too! 😉

Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Turns the Table ? What model is it?
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Not table. The sheet on the bottom that feeds the wood through. That motor. The drum motor works fine. Carole, I'm working on flying 2 or 3 grandkids up for 2 weeks in the summer, with me flying back with them. Their other grandparents will be there for a week in June so they would fly up with them. I think that would be my super max.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Betty,
          That motor should be a relatively standard variable speed motor... and it shouldn't be hard to replace (if it's at all positioned like the Supermax). What's your model number? I'm sure someone here on the forum can help you find a replacement!

Bob
          www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
          www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
          www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

Thanks Bob. Bruce has taken it off and is taking to a place he knows about that does small motor repair. It's a Delta 18/36 and has served us well. It has more hours of use than all our other tools combined. We've had it about 12 years with the drum motor being repaired one week before the warranty ran out. A true workhorse.
            Betty

Comment

Ok, so I'm sitting here making up my grocery list and I hear this noise from the basement. Go downstairs, and the sander is working!! I asked what he did and said turned the brushes around. Could it be that simple, needs new brushes? Like I said, a workhorse.
              Betty

Comment

That is awesome news! I always forget to check the brushes. Thank you for the reminder to see how worn my are.
                Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

He ordered 2 brushes and they should be here by Monday. One brush is 3/4" and the other is 1/4". Their supposed to be 15/16". Had to get them from amazon as delta doesn't have them anymore. He found the sales receipt and we got it in 2005.
                  Betty

Comment

I love it when you find a simple solution to a potentially costly problem!

Comment

Yea! Way to save the day. I dont produce as much as you do but my drum sander still gets used a great deal.
                      I needed a bunch of 1/8 shim stock to try and level my new floor. Re-sawed some of the old floor boards and ran them through the sander for the thickness I needed. Planer doesn't like going that thin.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Parts due here tomorrow, 3 days early!! Hopefully, that is the problem.
                        Betty

Comment

Bruce got the parts yesterday and it works like new!!!!
                          Betty

Comment

"Delta Drum what's that problem you have on?
                            Could it be a shortened brush from days gone by?
                            But soon I heard it work after fixing that little quirk.
                            And now it's back to sanding - I verify!"

(Sung to Delta Dawn - of course.)

I couldn't help it. Every time I saw the Delta Drum topic header I thought Delta Dawn. (Showing my age!)

Karl
                            Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

That's ok. I like that song.😊
                              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dan A
                                Reply to compound cutting
                                Dan A
                                I'm pretty sure the blade was in right. It was an 1 3/4 piece of poplar. Once I was done cutting I couldn't even get the piece to come apart out of the block. Which as I remember it, indicates to much pushing and making the blade bend.

For what it's worth I cut an ornament out of pine and...
                                Today, 06:17 AM
                              • leehljp
                                Reply to Shingles
                                leehljp
                                My wife got the vaccine shot in 2011 and 4 months later came down with shingles. It wasn't a light case either.

My aunt said she found a cure for shingles: She heard that rubbing Dr. Tichenors antiseptic on it would stop it. She got in the tub and poured some on. As she tells it: "When...
                                Yesterday, 10:15 PM
                              • vgraf
                                Reply to Mass Production
                                vgraf
                                I also cannot perceive making that many of anything. I just finished about 30 of the mini birdhouses and am ready to start something new.

I also have used the alcohol and shellac method. It really speeds up the finishing process. If the surface is left a little rough, a little touch up...
                                Yesterday, 09:29 PM
                              • vgraf
                                Reply to compound cutting
                                vgraf
                                I had trouble cutting once with a new blade and then discovered I had it backwards.
                                Yesterday, 09:23 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Fall magazine
                                NC Scroller
                                Can't wait to get mine.
                                Yesterday, 08:51 PM
                              Working...
                              X