What should i offer....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i offer....

There is a 1995 Excalibur scroll saw for sale. I am planning to go look at Thursday. It's a 30 inch one. It does not look as beefy as some of the newer models.
    What things should i look for to tell what kind of shape it's in? Should i stay away from that old of a saw ? They are asking 1200.00 for it. That seems a little high.
    Some guidance please.

Holy cow, when they were making them a 30" was priced a around $1029! You could buy a brand new Seyco or Jet for somewhat less than that. A new Hawk is around that price. I cannot imagine a 22 year old saw being anywhere near that price..... Guess I could be wrong,, been wrong before.
    AKA Paul from Washington State
    21" Excalibur
    22" Hegner.

Comment

I personally wouldn't buy that saw for $200. I think it is plenty beefy, but Seyco doesn't support it, so you will be on your own if anything goes wrong, and stuff does go wrong on old saws.

Some people have these and remember what they paid, and are sentimental. They think the saw "was as good then, and is still the same saw now", and they are right in a way. But markets values change, and unsupported models may still be capable, but capability doesn't equal value. Very once capable Deltas are filling landfills.

Here is an interesting link for you: https://web.archive.org/web/19970630....com/saws.html

-------Randy
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Thank-you for the updated information. You both point to an answer that i was thinking about.

Comment

I just bought a brand new Ex-30 last year (2016). It was right at $1,000. $1,200 is wishful thinking on someone's part! Thank goodness you didn't buy on impulse.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

If it was brand new i would consider offering more. How ever, I will be using Randy's suggested offer. I will be going to see it over the weekend. Monday i will update the post and close it out.

Comment

If it's in good condition Randy's suggestion would give you a great deal. Ray at Seyco still has some parts for maintenance and he's a great help on the mechanical bugs. We look forward to hearing how this goes for you. Good luck!
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Can get a brand new saw for that or even less than that, I got my ex 16 for about 600, when they were still make them, the new seyco saw think is runnign about that price and is pretty much a excalibur saw but made and sold by seyco.

Comment

I passed on the. The owner would not go less than 650. But told him that if he reconsiders let me know the new price.
                  I was looking for a saw larger than my 18 Hegner. So no hurry here.

Comment

I am a bit late to this discussion. I have purchased used tools over the years. My usual rule of thumb is to not pay more then 50% the new price. And that is only if the tool is in good condition.
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I am with Scott on that, be happy you passed on it.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

New in 1995 it was $1200 is why the owner wanted $600. He paid 600 for it used from an estate sale. Yes it is in good shape for a 1995 saw. However it is really LIGHT weight. Not enough beef to absorb vibration noise. The new Jet weighs about 50% more than this saw.
                        If i purchased it would need to make newer table as it is really small for a 30 inch saw. I agree that passing was the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
                          I personally wouldn't buy that saw for $200. I think it is plenty beefy, but Seyco doesn't support it, so you will be on your own if anything goes wrong, and stuff does go wrong on old saws.

Some people have these and remember what they paid, and are sentimental. They think the saw "was as good then, and is still the same saw now", and they are right in a way. But markets values change, and unsupported models may still be capable, but capability doesn't equal value. Very once capable Deltas are filling landfills.

Here is an interesting link for you: https://web.archive.org/web/19970630....com/saws.html

-------Randy

Good discussion here. It sure is a shame that the manufacturer of a saw that cost over a grand can't at least support it with the parts that are the most subject to wearing out from normal use. For some of us $1000. is still a lot of money and to have a perfectly good saw that may only need a couple of parts to get it up and running doesn't seem like to much to ask. JMHO
                          Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

The search is over. I just bought a Dewalt yellow scroll saw. - I saw an add on Craigslist and called the guy and said i would take it. I just to pick it that day. --- Little problem here Me working in Detroit and the saw in Holland Michigan. What to do... Call a friend and offer him six pack to pick up the saw. He did. So i will take to Red lobster and i will get my saw. My friend said it was like new. saw hunting done.

Comment

Congratulations, good luck with your new saw. Keep us posted, with pictures of course
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Birchbark
                                Reply to Business Cards
                                Birchbark
                                Cut your business card out of wood. Very large, then take a picture of it. Shrink it down to the size of your cards and you've got it. Shows what you can do, and tells all the info, plus has a wood grain. The background color can be anything that suits you.

Russell
                                Today, 03:41 PM
                              • Trout
                                Reply to My 56 Chevy project
                                Trout
                                I sure could use some suggestions on how to shape this thing to give it some depth..
                                im thinking about raising the front fender and side a 1/4 inch but then the grill and bumper wouldn't be even.
                                this is where the make it or break it comes into play..
                                any sugestions before I do any...
                                Today, 02:31 PM
                              • Wood Dog
                                Reply to I finally ordered some spirals
                                Wood Dog
                                Outstanding job Rolf.
                                Today, 01:46 PM
                              • Scrappile
                                Scrappile
                                That is looking mighty fine! Can't wait to see the finished product.
                                Today, 10:12 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Sandy Oaks
                                Yes, looking good. Keep us updated.
                                Today, 09:15 AM
                              Working...
                              X