Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen the new Jet Scrollsaw

Hello All --
    Has anyone seen the new Jet scrollsaw in person?
    It looks an awful lot like the Excalibur --

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwss...switch/727200k

Just curious.
    loving my DW788

Thanks! I haven't seen that. I'll have to reach out to them for more information. Woodcraft is selling it for just under $1,000, so it's being sold as a high-end saw...

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Looks a lot like my Excalibur.

But I guess you already made that observation.
      Last edited by Bill Wilson; 05-25-2016, 12:02 PM.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

There is a link to a video on this page.. http://www.jettools.com/us/en/new-pr...ts/scroll-saw/

For me.. I don't like the blade change.. I am a top feeder.
        The other John A. Nelson
        johnsworkshop.com
        sigpic
        I just follow the lines and make sawdust
        on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Yep. Got my email today about it. Price was $799 with stand. Looks interesting. Like the tensioning.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Oh my, it's about time Jet released a scrollsaw worthy of it's name. This is obviously a General saw, but Jet (and/or General) definately made some significant changes. I was amused that in the video, they compared the blade change with the older Excalibur system. Would be nice if Seyco would support this saw. I would think this would put downward price pressure on the older Excalibur products.

I can see several improvements, from the way the dust collection attaches on the bottom, a much heavier table, spring loaded arm, and etc. I like almost everything about this except the bottom blade clamp. Their idea of a tool less blade change is a little warped, and not sure I like that approach. However, it's always good to have choices and I'm excited to see how this saw is received.

---------Randy
            Last edited by hotshot; 05-25-2016, 10:47 PM.
            "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Very interesting. I'll be interested in how well they market it and how well it is received. Looks like they are trying to position it between the Excalibur and the Hawk.

Since I do mostly intarsia cutting and, usually, only change blades when one wears out, I'll stick to my EX for now. But that does look like good saw.
              Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Bob, I bet you could get one sent in for a review/eval. It would make a great article.

-------------Randy

Comment

BobD if you are too busy I would be glad to test drive for you.
                  Scott
                  Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Certainly worthy of a test run. It will be interesting to see how the cam clamp mechanism holds up with time.
                    Also if the front back blade motion that is a problem with this type of saw (Dewalt, Excalibur) will be adjustable.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Bob D. The Jet scroll saw ad is in the latest issue of your magazine. It looks like the pricing is competitive with the Excalibur. BUT it has a 5 year warranty which is attractive.
                      Regards,
                      Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

I think top feeders are going to hate this saw, or perhaps Jet will eventually offer a better option for that bottom clamp. The bottom clamp doesn't look like it would be good for feeding the top blade down into, and tightening in place. In the video, they only showed using the tool on the side of the saw to tighten that clamp. They sure didn't show how a top feeder would go from inside cut to inside cut.

There seems to be so much thought put into this saw, it seems odd to have such an obvious design flaw. Perhaps, in practice, top feeding into that bottom clamp is feasible, but we will have to wait for someone to try it out to find out.

On the plus side, the manual is much better than the General Manual. As an example, they give a good explanation of adjusting the saw for more or less aggressiveness (blade travel).

Comment

Randy I will have to look for the manual and check out what they have to say about the blade motion.

I just checked out the manual. I like what I see. The bottom feeding method is what Hegner does. Using the slot.
                          I will stick with my Hawk.
                          Last edited by Rolf; 06-01-2016, 07:20 AM. Reason: Went and looked at the manual.
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Right now, the expected ETA for them to send me one of the new Jet saws to review is mid-June.
                            I also took the time while I had their attention to request a few other tools to review... I've got a review in the works on their spindle sander... that's a solid tool!
                            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I use their spindle sander all the time. I just wish it had more intermediate sizes before going to 1-1/2", and set screws to keep the inserts level with the table. I did get the optional 3" spindle, which is great for larger projects, and the 6" length of the spindles isn't as good as the 9" of the floor model sanders, but usually long enough.
                              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X