Antler carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antler carving

I want to try some antler carving. I have acquired a moose antler palm and a small ram horn to try. I have a used turbo carver, some diamond and carbide dental burrs. But there are no instruction books on the subject and I'm not sure what I am going to encounter once I cut in, other than I know it will be a fine powdery discharge in the air and it will stink to high heaven. I heard someone was doing it a the Doane summer carving classes. Unfortunatley I am too far down the senority list to get a week and a half off from work in the summer. I've found alot of pictures to use as reference material but few people talking. Should I just plan on this being a trial and error project? Pam

Re: Antler carving

The ram horn will be hollow so you won't be able to go very deep with your cuts. I've never tried carving antler but it sure looks good when done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck!

Jerry S.

Comment

First of all, wear a mask. Second, think of what you are wanting to carve in the antler before you start.
      Like Jerry said, the ram horn is hollow and your carving will be determined by that depth.
      Power tools is the best way but can achive a nice end product with knife and soaking the antler in water for and hour.

Ken
      Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Hi Pamela.
        If you are into powercarving you need a way to get rid of the dust. I designed a dust system built around a blower from a heating and air unit. The dust is blown into my back yard and keeps it from getting all over the house. I would be glad to send you the drawings free if you will e-maile me you mailing adress, there is to much to send by e-amil. Juat put dust system in the adress line so I don't think its spam.
        Jack D.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
          by markdavd
          I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
          Today, 09:45 AM
        • NC Scroller
          by NC Scroller
          My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
          Today, 07:42 AM
        • will8989
          by will8989
          None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
          Today, 12:20 AM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          by Linda In Phoenix
          What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
          The bags seem easier on the surface.
          But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
          Yesterday, 03:24 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
          by will8989
          Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
          Yesterday, 10:32 AM
        Working...
        X