peach seed carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peach seed carving

:I'm wanting to get started in carving of peach seeds. My grandpa did this. Anybody have any suggests where to start. I've seen books out there, somewhere.? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: peach seed carving

Your question piqued my interest so I payed my peach tree a visit and found a seed to try. They are really hard, don't know what you would carve them with, maybe riffler files. Then again, maybe a fresh one wouldn't be so hard, kind of like carving green wood. Good luck and be careful they are awful tiny.

Comment

Whittling And Woodacarving by E.J. Tangermen has a section of carvings made from peach pits and even a couple made from plum and cherry pits. You can find it on Amazon. Make sure your knife is VERY sharp.

Good whittlin, Cliff
      Charles City, Iowa
      http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

There is an article on peach pit carving in the Nov.-Dec., 1995 issue of Chip Chats.

Comment

David,
          Like FatEddy, said, they are not just hard *#@% hard! If you want to keep your fingers I would sugest you start with a Dremel tool you can pick up at any Lowe's or Homedepot for a reasonable price. You can use sanding drums, and stones that you would use for sharping things to shape the peach seed. It won't matter if they're fresh or dried they are still hard. Play with the Dremel and the different bits at different speeds until you get to know what ont will do.
          Jack D.

Comment

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! > :'(

People have carved pits by hand without power tools for over a century.

Yes, they are hard. Yes, they are brittle. Yes, they require practice and patience.

Sharpen your tools, strengthen your resolve, put on your carving glove, and whittle on!

Good whittlin, Cliff
            Charles City, Iowa
            http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
              Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
              by Quartz43
              I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
              Today, 09:09 AM
            • will8989
              Reply to countdown for Bruce.
              by will8989
              Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
              Yesterday, 10:12 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
              by will8989
              I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
              Yesterday, 10:02 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Back in the saddle again
              by will8989
              I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
              Yesterday, 09:59 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Starting again
              by will8989
              And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
              Yesterday, 09:55 PM
            Working...
            X