Which Scroll Saw to Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Scroll Saw to Buy?

Hello! I am the newest member ronbar; Ron Barras, Houston, Texas! I hand build small clocks, small furniture pieces and casework. I have decided in starting a website and that I need a good scroll saw for this type of work. I do not think it is reasonable to 'invest' right off the bat in an RBI, Hegner or Excalibur. So I am looking at either the DeWalt (made by Sommerville) or the new Delta SS350 (previously Delta 40-570). I would like to know anyones suggestions. The Delta has an outlet for a dust collector. It is also heavy for less vibration I would think. Also, it has a table insert, for user made zero clearance inserts I guess. The DeWalt seems like a good saw also. It does not have a dust collection outlet though. I would appreciate anyone's help and preferences as to these two saws.  Thanks!

Re: Which Scroll Saw to Buy?

I own a DeWalt scroll saw and have had zero problems with it. I bolted it down to my workbench and it has very little vibration. It is actually pretty heavy, too. I also use it to cut out pieces for carving, especially pieces for clocks. I think you could rig up a dust collector using a box fan, a furnace filter and some thin plywood. BTW, the DeWalt uses the same type of mechanism as the Excaliber and that reduces the vibration. The Delta uses a conventional mechanism that tends to have more vibration and the weight is there as a way to minimize it.

Comment

Hello I have the the Dewalt scrollsaw and would buy it again.
      I have had this one for three years and use it weekly.
      I cut puzzles out of 1 1/2 inch pine and have used it on oak.
      It should have insert on it. ???
      Check pricing on it before you buy, I found it for 399 at Menards store in Sterling IL , and 459 at a Menards in Freeport IL. Good Luck
      Mick

Comment

Just like carving tools - buy the best you can afford - I bought an inexpensive Ryobi when I started and lived with it for about a year before breaking down and buy and rbi hawk - it was like dying and going to heaven - absolutely no comparison - don't know about the dewalt, but they're a good company with a good reputation and other seem to like them so should be o.k.

Comment

I have bought and used Craftman schroll sawes for many years and decided to look for a better saw as Craftman's are not frett work friendly. I have lok at the Excaliber and others and decided to Buy a RBI Hawk 216 as several friends have them and they enjoy working with them. Have used their Hawk 216 and 226 several times to see if I would want one.
          Most of my o\projects are not as big to use the Hawk 226 so I am was leaning to the Hawk 216. BUT RBI had a sale of the Hawk 220 and bought it. Yes It is like being in heaven. Enjoying it more and have less problems with chattering and blade breakage.
          Thanks,
          Ken

Comment

I got my wife a RBI Hawk about five years ago and it is still running like a new one.... she loves it ..... but, she won't let me use it !! When I bought it they took my old Sears scroll saw in trade and gave me the the price I had paid for the Sears saw new. !! Can't beat that !

Comment

Hi Ronbar,welcome.I use a delta 40-540c scrollsaw that I purchased 3 years ago for less than 200.00{Cdn.}I use it for everything and for just about every imaginable kind of wood.I have never had any problems with i,and I use it for 4-5 hours a day.The only thing I dont like about it is the blower system,but I corrected that by hooking up an aquarium aeriater to it.Works great.I am thinking of upgrading to an Excalber as it has a deeper working area,but that is down the road abit.Hope I helped abit.

Comment

If you are still wondering, get the RBI. I have 2 of them. There just is none better.

Comment

I have had a Sears 20' Contractor model scrollsaw for about 8 years. I love it! I own a Ryobi, but never use it--it stinks---very bad vibration and it just doesn't have the capabilities I need. Never tried the Dewalt.

Comment

I have a Delta scroll saw with a 16' cutting throat and variable speed. it works quite well, i have no complaints but I would Prefer to buy a DeWalt because there's less vibration. There were problems with the motors burning out on the DeWalts as I remember when i was looking at a new saw. Also, you can cut larger pieces with the DeWalt.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X