Update: Problems with my new DW-788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: Problems with my new DW-788

It was sweet while it lasted, but now I'm waiting for my third "new" saw. It will be in by friday this week. The first saw worked great for a few days. Then on a random basis it would vibrate severely when it was turned on. After I started it again, it would work fine, but after several good starts it would startle me with another "severe vibration start". I took the first one back today and they gave me a new one. This one vibrated noisily right from the beginning getting worse as speed was increased. It was making a lot of noise near the back of the saw, but it didn't seem to be coming from the motor itself. Soooo, they were out of new saws but will have more in on Friday. I sure hope the third one is good. I'm getting tired of setting them up, taking them down, and stuffing them back in the boxes.
    Bob

Wow sorry to hear that Bob.I hope your next one will be as smooth running as mine are. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Sorry to hear that, hang in there....3rd ones a charm!
      Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Hmmmm ... Interesting story, Bob. Very similar to mine. Bought my first one about a month ago at Rockler. From the start it vibrated like crazy - no doubt about it. So I call, they'll replace it. Took 3 weeks to get in (while I was on vacation, wouldn't you know?) Exchanged it yesterday, set up the new one today. It's MUCH better, but it still vibrates like mad at the top speed. At the speed I'm used to, it's not bad, but I still want to compare it to my old Delta 40-560.

I'm probably over-thinking this, as I have a tendency to do. I might take it in, set it up, and see what the manager (who I'm told also has a 788) has to say. I heard that DeWalt changed their manufacturing site from China to Taiwan; thought that was the reason for the 3 week wait and thought that'd solve the problem, but maybe not. If it's not me overlooking something, I may get my money back from Rockler and go take advantage of WoodCraft's 788 sale.

I do have every intention of loving my 788 when I get a good one, or however I get this vibrrrrrrration thing resolved.
        Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560

Comment

I got my third 788 last friday, late. A few interesting points......we installed the table and a blade and set it on the concrete floor in the store. It vibrated too much and made quite a bit of noise at the high speed (6-8). I cranked the tension control all the way up (it had been on 3 1/2) and the excess noise stopped, but there was still too much vibration. Since it was loose on the concrete floor, we decided to take it home and tighten it down on the stand which I have setting on a 3/8" rubber pad to see if that would help the vibration. The result is that the saw is vibration free on this set-up. Because of the holiday I haven't had a chance to use it a lot, but I did make a little sawdust and so far it seems to run fine. If it stays like this, I will love it. Right now it is a "sweet running" saw!!! Kevin, I hope this info is of some help to you.
          Bob

Comment

I have a Delta P-20 and I had 3 of them before I got a good one.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Geez guys! This isn't a very good testimonial for Dewalts saw! Most of the folks on here that have had one for a while have nothing but good comments for them. I wonder if they're farming out the manufacture to someone else. Sears has started to handle them too. At least in the catalog. I haven't seen one at the store yet.
              Pop
              Delta 16" 40-530
              Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

Thanks for the comments, Bob & Bob. I don't have the DeWalt stand, but I can't imagine that would make much difference, especially with what you said, Forester. Now, if I only had a 3/8" rubber pad! If I can't find any rubber, I'll use some other things, like newspapers and towels and other etc. But first I'll make sure all the bolts are tight and maybe do some other things suggested on Rick Hutcheson's website.

Interesting that you had a similar experience with the Delta, G.Bob.

It kinda seems to me that it may take a bit of effort to avoid a lemon AND get it set up and adjusted correctly, at which time it gets rave reviews and loyal owners.
                Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Oops. Misread your post the first time, Forester. Maybe the stand did have something to do with it. I haven't bolted mine down yet, but the vibration does seem to vary depending on what I put under it, so I'm thinking that's probably it.

It seems to vibrate the most at a speed of 4-6. At speed 7-8 the table has "slowed down" but the air hose thingy is going so fast I can't see the tip.

Where'd you get a 3/8" rubber pad, Bob? And when you speak of the stand, are you talking about the DeWalt stand specifically for the saw?

Thanks!
                  Kevin

Comment

I have the Dewalt stand and experience vibration only at anything above 9. As far as a pad goes, carpet pad should help.
                    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Kevin I have the DeWalt stand. I bought a pad at Home Depot. It's a 3 ft wide "runner" that is on a big roll and is sold by the running foot. Some time ago I bought several feet of it to put in front of my other tools and work bench to ease the pain of standing on my bare concrete floor all day. When I put the saw on the stand it was on one of those pads and ran smooth. I moved it to it's final location on the bare concrete and it vibrated too much. So......I put a pad under it and it ran smooth again.
                      Bob

Comment

A couple of additional points and questions.....This is my first try at buying and using a scroll saw. My total experience with a scroll saw is getting about half way through Mr. Nelson's "scroll saw workbook". My point is that I don't know what is "normal" for this type of saw. Even though I have a "fix" on this saw, I have the nagging feeling that it's still not right. It seems to me that you shouldn't have to put a rubber pad under a $500 saw to make it workable. The saws I saw in the Woodcraft classroom did not have pads under them, for example. For those of you with more experience, is my experience with these saws normal??? Do they all vibrate quite a bit?? Kevin, if you contact Rick about this, I would be interested in what he has to say. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this too, but a $500 purchase is a lot for me and I would like to get it right!!
                        Bob

Comment

Bob,
                          I'd PM Lucky788Scroller! He's got several Dewalts, and regularly balances a nickle on the saw table when cutting! Maybe he's got a suggestion too!

Bob
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I put a cement block on the shelf of the stand and that helped a lot.

Earl

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm with you, Old Forester, for $500, it should run great (perhaps with minor adjustment) right out of the box. As far as "normal", I'd put this current DeWalt on a par with my old 16" Delta 40-560 and that ain't right, IMHO. Stands and bolts and pads and concrete blocks ... I agree with "whatever it takes," but still...

I think I will PM Lucky788. Thanks, Bob #3.
                              Kevin

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X