Spiral blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiral blades

I've been practicing with some spiral blades. I prefer the #3 to the #5. But I seem to have more trouble securing the spiral blade to the bottom attachment than I do other blades. I'm a top feeder. Any comments from those of you who use these spiral blades.
    John R

DeWalt 788.
    "Tempus, sure does, fugit when you're making saw dust"

I use spirals fairly exclusively and I am a top feeder as well. For me I simply take the bottom clamp off my G4 when changing blades out then reinstalling the clamp once I have my blade secure. I don't know if your saw allows you to do that or not. If not if may be time to become a bottom feeder.
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I'm a lowly bottom feeder, but I do use spiral blades on occasion. Before I clamp one on my saw I usually use some needle nose pliers to flatten the twisted ends of the blade to make them easier to install. I try to make sure they are just about even on both sides so there is no twisting of the blade when I tighten the clamp on it. Before I started doing this I noticed the blade liked to slip out when I tightened the clamp, or sometimes it would pinch in the clamp become weakened enough that it would break after only a few cuts.

Maybe this will help you. If not, then maybe it will help somebody else who is having the same problems I used to.
      Jim
      DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Thank you Rivary and Jim for the quick replies. I'll check to see if my Dewalt has that option and Jim's quick fix looks like it could solve my problem.

Many thanks,
        John R

DeWalt 788.
        "Tempus, sure does, fugit when you're making saw dust"

Comment

recently we talked about spirals and how each of us overcome that twisted end vs clamping and tension issue. do a search, you should find it pretty easy. Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

G4 Blade Change

Originally posted by Rivari
            I use spirals fairly exclusively and I am a top feeder as well. For me I simply take the bottom clamp off my G4 when changing blades out then reinstalling the clamp once I have my blade secure. I don't know if your saw allows you to do that or not. If not if may be time to become a bottom feeder.
            Rivari, this has gone right over my thick Danish head. Exactly what do you mean? I also have a G4 and the only time I remove the bottom clamp is to knock out any saw dust that may have built up not allowing the blade to be inserted all the way.
            Buzz
            We Danes are very even tempered. We're always mad about something!

Comment

Buzz, when I feel a blade has reached it's end life I remove the bottom blade clamp and it is the first blade clamp I put the new blade in. When I am cutting a pattern the only clamp I let loose is the top clamp. Hope that clarifies things. I'm not smoking crack here, perhaps I am not fully putting my words in an understandable format.
              Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Blade Change

Originally posted by Rivari
                Buzz, when I feel a blade has reached it's end life I remove the bottom blade clamp and it is the first blade clamp I put the new blade in. When I am cutting a pattern the only clamp I let loose is the top clamp. Hope that clarifies things. I'm not smoking crack here, perhaps I am not fully putting my words in an understandable format.
                Gotcha, Rivari. Now I understand. I do just the opposite. When I install a new blade, I put it in the top blade clamp first and treat it as a top feed through the piece and into the lower blade clamp. Probably should do it your way and then I could knock out any accumulated saw dust out of the bottom clamp.
                Buzz
                We Danes are very even tempered. We're always mad about something!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X