Anyone know the secret for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the secret for

getting the back cover off the DW788 for lubricating the tension wedge and rear linkage? I've taken out the five bolts. How do you break it apart without damaging something?

id suggest go to rick H website, or refer to your owners manual. Ive never had a need to tear into my saws at all since I've began scrolling. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Welcome Henthorn
      I didn't know that you had to open the 788 to oil it???
      Diane
      Dragon
      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
      Owner of a Dewalt 788
      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Sorry Henthorn i can't help with your problem but wecome to the forum.
        kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Here is a link to Rick H. home page, http://www.scrollsaws.com/ scroll down on the tool bar on the left to scrollsaw reviews.
          Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

You're supposed to oil it!!??
            Janette
            www.square-designs.com

Comment

I've had mine for 8 years and never oiled it!

Comment

Just checked my user manual and you are not suppose to open the back. Under maintenance is a section on brushes. You are suppose to inspect them once in a while. They are found on the back right hand side of the saw. But the saw itself is not suppose to be opened ever.
                Diane
                Dragon
                Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                Owner of a Dewalt 788
                PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Sorry but I have heard otherwise.

Read Rick's page more closely. The saw is just a mechanical device. Nothing magic. The tension wedge allows the saw upper arm to raise for blade changing. The wedge does become dry and that can cause hard tensioning. Greasing the tension wedge will make it easy to tension again. The rear linkages should also be lubricated after several years of use just like the font linkages should be. It will make the saw run quieter and with less vibration. I know the back cover comes off because it is shown on Rick's page. The tension wedge and rod are clearly shown as well as the linkages that should be lubricated. Any machine will last infinitely longer and run better if it is kept well lubricated and that means all of it not just the parts you can see. And last, of course they tell you not to touch the saw. If you don't understand mechanical things you can screw it up. If you have done lots of mechanical work it is a pretty simple machine. I can see how it comes apart from the drawings but the drawings are not all that clear and pretty basic. I just want to be sure there isn't something not shown in the drawings that might be damaged when I force the casing apart. But thanks, all for your concerns. I will just have to go ahead and risk it. Let you know how it comes out. Love the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by henthorn
                    getting the back cover off the DW788 for lubricating the tension wedge and rear linkage? I've taken out the five bolts. How do you break it apart without damaging something?
                    Leave it alone, the DW788 dosen't require any oiling. Especially the tension wedge, oiling will cause it to slip.
                    Marsha
                    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

It's really great to know you're willing to pull some preventive maintenance on your tools but... I can't think of any power tool in my shop or almost any normal wood shop that requires more than just cleaning out the sawdust and maybe wiping down the work table with vegetable oil or a piece of wax paper for maintenance. Most bearings are sealed and surfaces that constantly rub against each other during operation are hardened or treated to take the wear and tear. I should have had you working for me when I was in charge of maintenence and engineering for GTE's buildings. I think the guys that worked for me didn't even know where their oil cans and grease guns were.
                      Pop
                      Delta 16" 40-530
                      Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

To remove the back cover you have to remove the saw from the stand if you have one, remove the table, the trunion where the table pivots on the rear, all the bolts from the left side of the machine, including the ones that hold the bottom blade holder in place, (all across the bottom of the section under the table but only on 1 side), and then the bolts you've already removed. The back section is recessed into the section under the table. I'd recommend throwing some carpet on your workbench and laying it on it's right side before you remove all this. Once you remove the covers there isn't much holding the saw together but all the areas you're interested in servicing are readily available. Remove the covers carefully or you'll end up with washers you have no idea where they go. Putting the covers back on is the tricky part as you have to align them to the motor shaft bearings. Not a BIG deal, but I still have 1 washer I have no idea where it came from. LOL Good luck!

Andy
                        Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

Thanks, Andy

That confirms what I thought. Will give it a go.

Comment

My thoughts are "If it ain't broke..."

besides- with my luck, I'd never get it back together again!
                            Janette
                            www.square-designs.com

Comment

Yep...If it ain't broke....keep workin' on it 'till is!! LOL!!
                              If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X