Scroll Saws..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll Saws..

instead of thread jacking another post, I figured I would start a new one..

some of you might remember, last week I posted that Mrs.Trout said that I could get a new saw...
    a Hawk at that...well it's been a week and we haven't heard back from RBI and in the mean time I have been wondering if I really need that much of a saw for $1,200....

yesterday, Sawduster PM'ed me about my Craftsman stool and while I was over on the Sears sale site looking for stools I can across the Dewalt saw...

as of now I haven't ordered any new saw....and I hadn't planned on starting a new project until after Easter because we're going to the lake for 5 days during easter break. If I got a new saw now I would have to start a new project to try it out which would get in the way of getting all the camping stuff ready to go...

soooo I'm still figuring out what saw I want to get...

Trout
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

WOW, Trout
    You just might be opening a can or worms with this one.
    It's almost like asking someone their favorite color.
    We all have our favorites and I think it is what we are used to.
    If at all possible, sit down at several saws, use it, change the blade, tilt the table, and then choose the one that's right for YOU.
    I have a DW788 and love it. Other folks love their brands as well.
    Gool luck and let us know what you get..........

fred
    Fred
    aka Pop's Shop
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!.

Comment

don't worry Fred...

you'll all know when I get my new saw.....
      a guy at work so happens to have a Hawk so I'm going over to his house later today to check it out even though it's a earlier model....

it would be a different story if I had CASH, but it's that time of year and Uncle Sam is getting my scroll saw money so I have to buy it on plan B....

until them, I still have my beast of a Craftsman....

Trout
      Last edited by Trout; 03-17-2007, 03:15 PM.
      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
      Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

I'm not going to tell you what saw is best, but you should easily be able to talk RBI into giving you the 26" G4 for 999.99. That's what I paid brand new. You can of course find used ones all the time on EBAY and probably other places too. Generally, if you find a used one, it won't be very used, otherwise they wouldn't be selling it in the first place...I think the same could be said about other quality names of used saws as well. But, buying the saw new, gives you the 5 yr warranty, which can be a big bonus. A new saw is similar to a new car..so it seems..at first my saw had problems, but after awhile and a few warranty claims, I haven't had any problems in quite some time now. Can't speak for other companies, but when you have a warranty claim on a Hawk...they are on it like white on rice.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

Here's my two cents of confusion for you. I too was going toget a Hawk and settled on the Eclipse. Gotta tell ya, it's a whole new ball game with this saw. I had a dewalt for years and cant say enough good things about it, but this Eclipse is something else. Good luck on your choice. Rain Man

Comment

Rain man has the cadillac of saws, in both price ranges!!! Dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

There are several RBI Hawks for sale right now on Ebay all currently in the 200.00- 300.00 price range.

Or you could save some money and bid on this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Boy-DEL...QQcmdZViewItem
              Last edited by ozarkhillbilly; 03-18-2007, 07:42 PM.
              Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Biased as all get out here, I love my Hawk G4, it would take a group of bikini clad gals to pry me away.

Jeff is right on the money in his comments concerning RBI and warranty issues, those folks do not screw around, if it's broke that fix it and they fix it quick with no hassles.

Now back to my bikini claded fantasy...
                Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I am with Rivari on this one one. I am real happy with the G4
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, I see you own both the Hawk and a Delta. Which table to you like best? I believe the Hawk has an aluminum table. I know the Hawk is a better saw than the Delta 350, but I was just wondering if there is a big difference between the cast iron table and the aluminum one.
                    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Trout,

You could pick up Rivari's used Hawk real cheap....he won't have any use for it now that he is addicted to his lathe
                      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Hay Trout, I know what you must be going through. what to use . ??????
                        I started out with a craftsmon. and when i looked into the High $ saws I was mistafied. I loved the Hawk. but chose the Hegner. can't remmber why , but dont. regret it. there insurance past on to the new owner. I drove to lasvagus. to buy mine. I did lots of reserch on it. and fownd it was to saw for me. it has done me well. it is smuoth, quit, and not hardly any vibration. the blade changes , is so easy.with a quick clamp. and came with a nice light. with the magnifier,. life time blades, and the table is aluminum. no matanance there. I chose the stand up stand, so I could pull up a bench. to set. or take it away to stand, at will. there is only 3 places to oil. with a oil can. it is also so light that I can take it outside. if I chose. only 3 legs. so the ballance stayes the same. can even put a 2/4 under the back 2 legs to left the back if I wont. to put the blade under my chest. what can I say. this is the best saw I can ever buy. I think If i do look into a new saw. but only as a 2nd. it would be the Eclips. for differat reasons. I forgot to mention that the Hegner comes with the switch covered with a plastic cover to keep dust out. I also have the foot switch. and the variabale speed. I can go from 0 to 1700 in just a turn of the nobe. it might be higher. but havn't gone there. Ha Ha., to fast. also. I can cut up to 2 an 1/2 inchs. haven't gone there eather. its a 18 inch throt. but can get it in 21. without the bells and bobbals. it holds straight blades . but will hold a pin blade if you wont. Mike at Flying Dutchman use's this saw. and so does Pablo. Jeff, I believe uses a Excalibur. gosh hope this helps. your friend Evie

Comment

Trout,

I had a Dewalt 788 type 1 for about 10 years and it was a great saw. I have now got a Dewalt 788 Type 2 and "luckly" have had no problems with saw.

I also own a Hawk G4 and that saw also performs very well. The only difference that I have found between the two saws is that the Dewalt will do a faster/cleaner cut than the Hawk G4. That's using the same blade in both saws. Why that is I am not sure. Also the Hawk G4 tends to make sharper turns than the Dewalt and therefore is easier to control when cutting.

In general a tough decision between the two saws, but, the Dewalt is usually under $500.00 new.

Gary

Comment

Just now looked on e-bay and there's a DeWalt there for $399 with no bids and about an hour to go in the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-DW788-Var...QQcmdZViewItem
                            Janette
                            www.square-designs.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X