Now I need help with my NEW DW788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I need help with my NEW DW788

Well, I did it! I was in Rockler, they had a decent sale on power tools, I knew I wanted the DeWalt. There it was. I bought it. And I'm gonna love it -- that is, when I can solve this insane vibrrrration!

I looked at some old threads here and it looks like the problem might be solved by opening up the housing and tightening bolts. Well, I got the bolts out of the back part of it, but I still can't get it open. I'm hesitant to go banging on it too much for fear of voiding the warrenty. But still it seems like minor disassembly to tighten some bolts shouldn't be a big deal - or do I have to disassemble the bottom arm first?

What do I do? Take it back to Rockler? Or keep going after those elusive loose bolts?

Also, I've heard that sometimes the 788's table isn't flat. I checked that with a straightedge and those places where there's a sliver of light coming through are less than .008 in. - one place may be .010, maybe (I measured). I'm assuming that tolerance is acceptable.

The blade is not dead-center in the middle of the hole in the table, but I don't see that as a problem, and I think scrollsaws.com describes a way to adjust that.

Man, I SO much want to start making sawdust with my Big New Yellow Toy!
    Thanks in advance, all!
    Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560

The first thing I'd do is call Rockler and let them know about the problem. See what they advise.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Take it back

Yes, call or go back to Rockler. When I bought mine I had a problem with the tension. I took it into the service shop and everything was covered. So take it back and get them to correct it. After everything is fixed back to normal you are going love it.

-Bill
      -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I would talk to Rockler . If you take it apart on your own the warranty would likley be void.
        Smitty
        Dewalt 788

Comment

Thanks, guys. I called Rockler. The manager ordered me another one. It'll be here in 10 days - 2 weeks. He was very accommodating, as I would expect from Rockler. He was surprised that it wasn't perfect out-of-the-box, that he's sold quite a number and never had a complaint. But this kind of thing does happen. It's not like it's life-or-death.
          Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'm so glad to hear you're getting a replacement instead of service. My thoughts on service fresh out of the box makes me wonder what other problems you will have down the line. Let us know how the new one is when you get it.
            Mia

We are the music makers.
            We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Thanks, Mia. Although I'm sure it's just a couple of loose internal bolts, I still can't be sure (anything manufactured can be a lemon), and there's a certain "rightness" about starting off clean.

That's another great thing about a forum like this - sometimes I know the right thing to do, but I need feedback to nudge me towards it. I'll definitely keep you posted when the new one comes in.
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin12
                (anything manufactured can be a lemon
                Ain't that the truth. My daughter and her husband just bought a brand new car (not that they could really afford it) and after 158 miles, the transmission went out of it. My daughter tells me there was a hole in it. You just never know.
                Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X