DeWalt 788 Easy-Lift Sytem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeWalt 788 Easy-Lift Sytem?

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Easy-Lift system for the 788. Right now I've got a piece of wood that I stick in there to hold up the upper arm. I haven't had any real problems. But it has gotten in my way when threading a hole deep in the pattern. Does it work? Is it easy to use? Is it worth the $20 ?
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Hello Jim, I personally don't have one nor ever used one, but feed back from those who do have always been positive It's a good concept and I think a fair price.

I top feed with my Dewalt and really have no trouble raising the arm with my left hand and threading the blade with my right. I guess its what you get used to.
    I'd rather spend the $20.00 on wood,blades,patterns.............
    Last edited by ozarkhillbilly; 03-05-2007, 05:33 AM.
    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

I've tried Marcel's saw and he has one. I thought it was great. I will eventually get myself one. It is much better than the piece of wood.
      Diane
      Dragon
      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
      Owner of a Dewalt 788
      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

This is probably a dumb question, but....
        do you raise the upper arm and leave the blade in the top clamp, or do you remove the blade from both clamps, raise the arm out of the way, then thread the blade? I haven't been raising the arm at all, I just remove the blade and rethread with the upper arm down.
        Joel

Comment

I have the easy lift system and think it's great. The only thing I noticed with it is that I have to hold the arm down a bit prior to tightening the blade, but that's probably just because of how I have the tension adjusted on it. I put the blade in on top, tighten the bottom, then go and retighten the top, holding the arm down - then do the tension , which I find is perfect around 31/2 or 4.
          Janette
          www.square-designs.com

Comment

Joel, if bottom feeding, release the top of the blade, raise the upper arm, and then thread the top of the blade thru the hole in the bottom of the wood. Of course, you have to hold the wood as high as possible to be able to see under it to find the holes. Then reclamp. No, it's not a dumb question. If you don't ask, you don't learn.

However, I'm with Bill regarding top feeding. I don't really see any value to this if use his method. If I was still bottom feeding, I would probably consider the Jim Dandy.
            Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 03-04-2007, 11:32 AM.
            Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
            www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I top feed, but I've never raised the arm. I just remove the blade, reposition the wood and drop the blade through another hole. I suppose if I did raise the arm there would be more room. I'll have to give it a try.
              Joel

Comment

Originally posted by JoelM
                I top feed, but I've never raised the arm. I just remove the blade, reposition the wood and drop the blade through another hole. I suppose if I did raise the arm there would be more room. I'll have to give it a try.
                Joel, while top feeding, I hold the arm up and feed the blade with my right hand and guide the wood with my left. Once the blade is in the hole, I slowly lower the arm.
                Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 03-04-2007, 05:12 PM.
                Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Wow, I never even considered bottom feeding. I'll have to give that a go and see how it works. When I had my old Taiwanees saw, it had a blade clamp on the bottom and an easy-jig for the top, so I've always been accustomed to top feeding. Picture that. I would pull the blade clampp from the bottom, position mypiece on the table, at an angle, push the blade up through the table and into the piece, (all this with my neck at a 98 degree angle,ouch). then lock the top with the quick-jig. Hey, not for nothing, I did some pretty incredible work like that, (what was I thinking. Give me my 788 any day).
                  So I guess I'll have to try that bottom feeding thing. Still, will I have to crane my neck to lock the bottom clamp? Thanks for the imput, all.
                  Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                  Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I'm a bottom feeder and I have the easy-lift attached to my saw. I couldn't imagine doing without it. Cut, right hand moves left to detension, unscrew the blade, lift the arm, locate the next hole and feed the blade through. Screw the blade down, right hand pushes the top down and retensions the blade, then hits the power button on the top. It can become a real rhythm there after a while.

Comment

Jimsawyer.. a bottomfeeder feeds the blade UP through the wood, and reclamping at the top clamp.And as unixpro stated, you do in fact get into a rhythm, and its even hard to explain, but a 6 second blade change from hole to hole bottom feeding is quick enough for me,thats why Im still a bottomfeeder.Honest, I has nothing to do with my thick hard skull!!! Dale
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Duh, sorry there. Momentary lapse of reason. I got my terms turned around. I've been a bottom feeder for 17 years. What I meant to say was That I had never thought of top feeding. Although, I do have a problem. Because I do alot of inlay work, I have to put a couple of pieces of masking tape over over the blade hole to make a sort of zero clearance set-up. Otherwise I can loose some very small pieces. This leaves me with a very small hole to thread down into. However, the next time I do anything fretted, I'm going to try top feeding.
                        Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I'm a bottom feeder with an Easy-Lift too. I got mine a week after I bought my saw. When I'm not using it, I put a piece of 2X4 under the arm in the up position. It takes some strain off the spring, so I hope it will last longer.
                          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                            Today, 10:01 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                            by will8989
                            Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                            Today, 09:53 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                            by will8989
                            Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                            Today, 09:49 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                            by will8989
                            He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                            Today, 09:32 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Sundays market
                            by will8989
                            We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                            Today, 08:56 PM
                          Working...
                          X