Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it work?

My son in law has a one speed saw.
    They make a verable speed button for a router. Will this work on a scroll saw?

just my mind working

dale

This is a tough question I have struggled with myself.

Routers usually have brushes, the speed control is designed for this kind of motor.
    Scrollsaws are usually universal motors. they run on slightly different principles.

Without knowing what process the speed control is using it is impossible to answer. There maybe some disclaimer or warning on the package that will help.
    I also came across this site http://www.freescale.com/files/micro.../MOTORTUT.html

It is a littl heavey but it does explain through animations why things may or may not work.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

dale, I believe this was discussed on either this forum or another and if I remember correctly they said it would burn out the motor on a scrollsaw. I will do a search on the other forums to see if I can find it.
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

dale, I can't find the post I am looking for. I would check with an electrician before trying it.
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

If the saw is using a fractional horsepower induction motor it will probably overheat and burn up. Those motors are designed to operate at full voltage. If it's a universal motor (AC/DC) chances are you can use a speed controller with no ill effects.
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jo Labre
            Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
            by Jo Labre
            I cut a bunch of chakte viga and leopardwood pieces for the Viking project and the blade seems pretty good yet. I imagine if I were to only cut softer hardwoods (?) the blade would last quite a long time. Still - $25.00 is a lot more than the cost of standard scroll saw blades....
            Today, 02:36 PM
          • old fa_t
            Reply to Old,,,,but new here
            by old fa_t
            The room was supposed to be storage but it's my office? now with a roll top desk and a barristers bookcase.which I built when I was able.
            Today, 01:55 PM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
            by Rolf
            Very nice! I really like your setup especially for the dust collection. I would have to figure out a way to re-weld the blade.
            And Oh to have wall space and organizational skills!
            Today, 09:55 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Old,,,,but new here
            by Rolf
            Welcome! As the others have said, lots of support and knowledge here ready to be shared.
            Is the 6 x10 your workspace or your entire apartment. ?
            Today, 09:34 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Log slice ornaments
            by Rolf
            Most of the cut outs were done with the scroll saw.
            Karl I have a couple of power carvers. The classic Dremel with a flex shaft I then bought a Ram Power carver, they both use 1/8 shank bits. I have a bunch of carbide cutters from when our Printed circuit board facility at work was dismantled....
            Today, 09:29 AM
          Working...
          X