scroll saw recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scroll saw recommendation

Hi everyone.... I've not been on here in awhile. My father-in-law passed & I haven't been online much.
    I'd like some advice on scroll saws. Which one do you recommend for fret work? My husband loves fret, I like making Parrots windchimes. LOL
    Which by the way, I completed a new one, but can't upload the picture. (too large) I have tried to re-size it... but still can't upload.

Feel free to e-mail the photo to me at [email protected]. I'll take a look. Sometimes the board is tempermental!

As far as saws...it depends more on how much you are looking to spend. Entry level saws (how's that for a euphanism) run between $100 and $300...Mid range saws are $500-700, and the high end go on from there...

Bob Duncan
    Technical Editor

BTW...sorry to hear about your father-in-law! You and your family are definately in my thoughts!!!
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

parrot lover, go to www.scrollsaws.com. Rick has a lot of good information on a number of saws. This will help you choose one. Good luck with whichever saw you decide on.
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Good link Mick. And if you have any questions about the saws, you can pet that someone here on the board has the kind you're looking at!

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

saws

you might want to check the thread on "my delta's a dud" under tools and blades. a few good opinions on saws

Might want to watch getting A DELTA shopmaster though. I have had some problems and I think the shopmaster is what other people are having troubles with as well.
          Last edited by kyscroller; 02-22-2007, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I bought a DeWalt DW788 a few weeks ago, it cost just under $500, with the stand, and so far I love it. It's so smooth and cuts so easy. It makes the hobby more fun.
            Joel

Comment

I started with $200 saw ,(made in Tiawan). The good thing about it is that it had variable speed and also a quick jig for easy blade changes. A few years ago I bought a DeWalt 788. I've never been more productive. If you're new to the scroll saw, consider getting a foot pedal. It gives you a great amount of control.
              Keep us posted of what you end up getting for a saw and show us what you end up making. Make some sawdust.
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I just got a new Sears tool catalog and it looks like they now handle DeWalt. They list the DW788 for $449.00. It seems everyone on here that has one loves it. That will probably be my next. I like my Delta but would love to have the convenience of speed control and easier blade changing like the DW788 has.
                Pop
                Delta 16" 40-530
                Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

I ran across this page on scroll saw buying you might want to check it out. I have seen on many threads where the dewalt is lead dawg. This site kind of confirms it

http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...scroll-saw.php

Comment

Originally posted by Pop
                    I just got a new Sears tool catalog and it looks like they now handle DeWalt. They list the DW788 for $449.00. It seems everyone on here that has one loves it. That will probably be my next. I like my Delta but would love to have the convenience of speed control and easier blade changing like the DW788 has.

Loved my Delta too Pop until I got the DeWalt DW788, didn't know what I was missing, wouldn't go back the other way for anything. And I do really like Delta, (table saw, jointer, shaper & drill press)
                    Just my 2 cents worth
                    Troy from Alabama
                    Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Comment

Sorry about your loss! I have been wondering what happened with you, and where youve been, and how your bird cuttings are coming along.
                      As for a saw for fretwork, it pretty much boils down to how much you can afford to spend. I am confident you would be really happy with a yella saw (dewalt), and there has been a couple recently purchased ones other forum members recieved, and seems all the quality issues from a a few months ago are all taken care of. Sorry for your loss, and glad to see you back! dale
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hi...
                        Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I am going to get the DeWalt788
                        My husband bought the Delta ShopMaster for me for Christmas. I absolutely HATE it. But, since I am NEW at scrolling, I guess I can't complain. The blades are difficult to change.
                        I have just about completed another parrot windchime. As soon as I get it finished, I will try to upload photos of it. My husband recently completed photos of Hank Williams Sr, Ronald Reagan & Geranimo. He is working on one of himself for me. And, one of his dad. When all of those are done, I'll see if I can upload the pictures.
                        Thanks again everyone.... I love this site. And, appreciate the help.
                        Parrot Lover

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X