breaking drill bits in fretwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaking drill bits in fretwork

I Love to do fretwork. I go threw at least 3 drill bits when I try to drill all the holes for my cuttings. Besides drilling a little slower what can I do to stop breaking so many small drill bits. I don't want to use a bigger bit. Is it me or is there some trick I should know about.
    Fellow woodchuck
    Mytoya Pritchett

Re: breaking drill bits in fretwork

you are drilling into the wood and then bending the bit, by moving the drill one way or another...keep the drill straight and the bit straight and I will bet you don't break any more bits....sometimes if you are pressing hard, you will move or tilt the drill and not notice it, putting the bit in a bind.

Comment

I'm guessing you're using a hand-held drill, as Sliver noted. If you can get to a drill press, you've got it licked. It's quicker, more accurate, and you really have to try to break a bit. I've used 5/32' bits and haven't broken one yet.

Comment

You guys are right, I was using a hand held drill. After reading your posts I put my last bit into my drill press and you were right again I didn't break the bit. Now I am off to make dust.
        Thanks alot.
        Fellow woodchuck
        Mytoya Pritchett

Comment

Hey there, That same drill bit is still working . Thanks a lot what a difference something so simple makes.
          Thanks again!
          Mytoya Pritchett

Comment

And remember... the smaller the bit..the higher the speed. If your drill press is a multi speed one, select one of the highest speeds.
            Mine is a 16 speed drill press and I run it on the 14th speed from the bottom (2nd from top) when using tiny bits for fretwork holes in hardwood. Nice clean holes with easy entry and exit.
            W.Y.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Don in Brooklin On
              Reply to Blades
              by Don in Brooklin On
              I have been cutting a lot of 1 1/2 hardwood for mini birdhouses and my go to blade in the Flying Dutchman UR-5 as I like the finish it gives.
              For some real hard woods like cherry and hard maple I have had better luck with the FD polar bladed #5.

I had some cherry that was burning...
              Today, 12:30 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Blades
              by Linda In Phoenix
              My preference would be Flying Dutchman #5, as it could handle it if you needed some tighter turns---and going to a #7 or #9 if doing a lot of straighter cuts. Plywood does dull blades a bit faster though, no matter the blade brand choice. The best blade is kinda a broad question---every brand works...
              Yesterday, 10:28 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Blades
              by Linda In Phoenix
              I totally agree with Dan (dgman). I prefer Flying Dutchmans for most things, but I know others who absolutely swear by other top brands, and almost everyone go thumbs down on generics after trying the name brands---and the price difference is next to nothing if you know where to buy. Some suppliers...
              Yesterday, 10:22 PM
            • dgman
              Reply to Blades
              by dgman
              Wow, that is a loaded question! You will get a lot of opinions, but the best answer is the ones that work for you. My suggestion is to order or buy several types and sizes and brands, and use what works for you. I would suggest you not buy the generic blades you find in local hardware stores. The top...
              Yesterday, 09:52 PM
            • woodvender
              Blades
              by woodvender
              What are the sharpest smoothest cutting blades for scroll saws
              Yesterday, 08:12 PM
            Working...
            X