Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust pick-up on DW788

Hi,

I don't remember where I got this from on the net, but thought I'd share it with you (again) since it was mentioned recently in another thread.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...php?photo=2389

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Marcel, looks like that would work on most saws but would be in the way if you were working on a larger piece.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Mick,

I completely agree.

I would extend the tubes to run parallel to the arms towards the back in order to avoid that interference, and locate the vacuum on a lower level with some form of sound barrier/muffler. IIRC as a matter of fact I think I saw something to that effect in another picture setup, but don't have a copy of that one.

My intent is just to give people ideas: in the end, it's up to each individual to adapt the concept to their needs. I wouldn't even think of taking any credit on this one since it isn't mine.

I haven't even adapted this one for myself yet, but surely will in one form or another: I'm all in favor of sucking the dust out instead of blowing it around.

Regards,
      Marcel
      http://marleb.com
      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Walker
        Marcel, looks like that would work on most saws but would be in the way if you were working on a larger piece.
        I'm probably the one that posted the vac setup. The one pictured is the one a gentleman from Utah came up with.

On my setup, the upper hose comes from a T fitting at the back of the saw. I went to the Big Box store and they had a large selection of clear tubing. I matched the OD of the PVC fitting to the ID of the tubing.

The lower dust collection hose is connected to a 'liberated' regular vacuum cleaner crevice tool and a flexible piece of old vacuum cleaner hose liberated from someones trash.

Here is a picture.

This is a really neat setup that gets all the dust. The noise of the vac is irritating to some, but earplugs are cheap.
        Bob from Northwest Florida

Delta P20

Comment

Bob, how about the dust collection port built into your P-20?
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

The dust collection port that is built into the P20 is in an awkward spot for me for some reason. I need to use both hands to put the blade into the lower blade holder since I use mainly 2/0 or #1 blades and the hose gets in the way of my right hand. I even out a 45 degree adapter on it and it still was in the way. Plus, it didn't remove any dust from the top of the saw and didn't do as good a job of removing the dust from the bottom of the saw as the crevice tool.

To be truthful, I do hook up the P20's port to the vac every once in awhile to vacuum out the chunks that fell through the throat plate.

By modifying Mr. Tovar's design, I was able to use one vac to control dust from both the top and the bottom of the saw. By using the modified Vice Grip Pad Clamp, I have been able to use the system on a Hegner, a DW788 and the P20 at various times.

I have become a really passionate advocate of this system since using it for a number of years. I have chronic sinusitis and without it, I really suffer from the dust scrollsaws produce. Takes a bit of work and a dollar or two to make the system but it sure is worth it!

Delta P20

Comment

Thanks so much for the post. I had to take a couple of days off due to irritated sinuses. I'm going to make myself one of these attachments! Good thing I already have earplugs, but it'll be worth it since the dust is so irritating.
              Mia

We are the music makers.
              We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Mia,

Even with dust collection you really should wear some sort of dust mask.
                There have been several discussions about that on this forum.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf
                  Mia,

Even with dust collection you really should wear some sort of dust mask.
                  There have been several discussions about that on this forum.
                  I work in my single-car garage with the door fully open and the window near the saw open. Folks that work in closed spaces should use a mask.

When I need to I can turn on the Jet shop filter and a filtered box fan or wear a NIOSH dust mask

Delta P20

Comment

Don't worry, I will. More protection is definitely better! Thanks!
                    Mia

We are the music makers.

Comment

I like the concept and might have to fix one of those up myself. I'd have to put the vacuum outside because I couldn't have it drowning out my radio.
                      Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
                      Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

Got another question...Does the tubing need to be grounded? I read a thread with Q&A by Judy Gale Roberts and they stressed the importance of grounding. It makes sense to me since sawdust is highly combustable but no one mentioned grounding on this style pickup system. How would it be grounded if needed?
                        Mia

We are the music makers.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X