Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What scroll saw to buy in Canada?

Hi all,
    Just wanted an opinion on what scroll saw you would buy?
    I currently have a Craftsman, and if any of you have experience with them well then you understand why I want a new saw.
    We are looking in the $300 to $500 Canadian dollar range.

Some we have looked at are:
    DremelĀ® 1680 16 in.Variable-Speed Scroll Saw

Ryobi 16 In. Scroll Saw
    Model SC164VS

Delta SS350 16'' Variable Speed Scroll Saw

Any advice on any of these scroll saws would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: What scroll saw to buy in Canada?

I wouldn't touch a ryobi, had a cheap delta and presently have a dremel...with that said, I just bought the DeWalt and it is great....no comparison !!

Comment

M :-X

Comment

Can't say about the others, but definitely not the Ryobi.

Comment

Hi "Guest",

I am not sure if you are still around to read this but here goes...

For several years I used the Delta 16" variable speed scrollsaw (150.00 - 200.00 here in Canada) This brand of saw was my second. The first Delta I had I put an incredible number of hours on it and it was good to me for the money. I didn't like the blower on it so I modified it with an aquarium pump and tubing, but other than that it was good. The blade change was relatively easy compared to my previous one, a Mastercraft.

After using the saw extensively for a couple years, (about 5 - 8 hours per day, 5 days per week) I burnt the saw out. I figured for the money, it was good enough to replace with another the same. The second delta is still alive but I did have to have some "interior" repairs made to it shortly after purchasing it. I can't remember exactly what was wrong with it now, but I believe it had something to do with a loose bolt.

I have heard a lot of people complain about the Delta but in my humble opinion, it was a good saw for the beginner and I did some great work on it. Of course there is always "better" but the Delta was an economical saw with variable speeds and easy blade change - things I consider important when recommending a saw to beginners.

I suggest, if you haven't already purchased a saw, that you go to some woodshows and some tool shops to "test drive" the saw. At some of the woodshows, you can get good deals on "demos" aswell.

Comment

Hi,
            I've had the Dremel, and then the Delta. Dremel was good enough to cut carving blanks, but not particularly accurate, and putting the blades in those little holders was a bit of a pain. Then I got the Delta, and it was several steps above the dremel. However, you will have to be way more skilled than I if you wish to cut much thick stuff accurately - or maybe my particular saw was not so easy to use that way. If you must change blades very often, you will tire of the hex-wrench type tool needed to do that. I have not tried the Ryobi, but it feels cheaply made. (I gotta touch every tool at Home Depot). Try to save a bit more and go for the Dewalt - if you use the tool for 5 years or more, the $$ difference per year is pretty slim. Good Luck!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X