Dewalt Vs. Delta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt Vs. Delta

Ok well right now I have a Dewalt 788 and a Dremel 1800 scroll saw. It is time to purchase a new saw and keep the dewalt as a spare.
    What to buy...
    I have full experience with the Dewalt and Love it!
    But would like some advice on the p-20 from some people that have may have used both of these and see which they like better or which one is better.
    How does the p-20 stand up to the test of time, loading of blades, ect.
    Is the Delta worth the extra bucks?
    Just looking for some thoughts.

I am a Top Feeder and I love it

Thanks in advance.
    Crfty
    Newfield, New York Scroller
    Dewalt 788 & Dremel 1800
    http://www.CraftyNYScrolling.com

I had 2 bad P-20's, but Delta didn't give me any trouble and gave me new ones. The one I have now is working just fine.

Bob
    Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I have had my P-20 for 3 years and can't say enough good things about it. Maybe Bill Young will chime in here and give you his opinion of both saws, he has owned both.
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I started with a Delta and now have the DeWalt. I'm 100% DeWalt all the way. Most intarsia folks I know have this saw and swear by it.
        Janette
        www.square-designs.com

Comment

My first saw was a 16" Delta but I can't remember the model number. It required tools to change blades and had a rubber bushing in the upper blade clamp assembly that wore out about every six months. A real PIA!!! I've heard some really good comments about the P-20 but have never used or even seen one. I love my old yellow 788 and will keep it until it self destructs!!
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

With either saw you will be happy. (unless of course, dewalt still has a few of the poorly QCed machines in circulation). On ebay theres a new type1 DW for sale, location "near Buffalo" , it might save shipping if your close to "near buffalo" Dale (sorry, only sawn on a p20 for a couple minutes, didnt change blades, adjust speeds, just cut, and it was smooth running.)
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I am shopping around for a saw and comparing right now. It is difficult to find a place to try out saws around here.
              I was looking at the P-20 and the 788.
              Right now there is a special for the Dewalt 788 with stand and lamp included. It would be $440 CDN. I don't even know how much a saw is suppose to cost.
              Diane
              Dragon
              Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
              Owner of a Dewalt 788
              PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon
                I am shopping around for a saw and comparing right now. It is difficult to find a place to try out saws around here.
                I was looking at the P-20 and the 788.
                Right now there is a special for the Dewalt 788 with stand and lamp included. It would be $440 CDN. I don't even know how much a saw is suppose to cost.
                Diane

That seems like a pretty good price, Diane, whever has the deal on. According to the Busy Bee site the full price is C$499 for the saw and C$115 for the stand - they're selling them at C$429 and C$99, which is what I paid for mine (no light).

Amazon.com is selling them for US$419 - just the saw - mind you they claim they full retail price is $862 - what????????
                Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

This is in next week's flyer from Home Hardware. I am interested and will have to find a way to get this. Hubby wants me to get this saw and start selling some of the crafts through friends and family. I will have to make sure that I can pay it when the bill comes in.
                  There is a way on plastic that you can have two months to pay something. You buy it just after your "pay by" date and then it gives you a month until the bill comes in and then another month or so until it is due.
                  Diane
                  Dragon
                  Owner of a Dewalt 788
                  PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Crafty,
                    What a neat problem to have! I know what Bill Young will tell you. He has had both saws & he picks the P-20 hands down. I had a dremel & now have the DeWalt. Initially I got an early Type 2 saw & had problems with it. DeWalt gave me a new one & it is great! I am presuming your DeWalt is still working just fine & you just want a new saw. If that is the case I believe I would get the P-20. You would have the best of both worlds. Then if for some reason you don't care for the P-20 you can sell it & use the DeWalt until it sells & then get another DeWalt. If you just get another DeWalt without using a P-20 you will always wonder if you made the right choice. I think that if you are careful & buy the P-20 right, that you should be able to sell it without taking a kicking on it. I really like my DeWalt, but Bill has been scrolling forever & he wouldn't keep a P-20 around if he didn't like it a lot better than the less expensive DeWalt. My opinion only.

Comment

Diane, I think you would really like the DeWalt saw. I love mine and have had no problems with it. That sounds like a really good price including the stand and light.

Chris
                      What! There's no coffee?!!

Comment

We looked yesterday for a place to try the saws and came up with nothing. So I cannot try the Delta or even look at it. I did see the Delta SS250 and did not like it at all. That was the only one that Home Depot had.
                        This Dewalt is not in stock but I called the store which is 20 minutes from me and they are ordering one that I can look at without having to buy it. It will be in on Wednesday or Thursday.
                        Things usually have a way of working out. After my last posting, while sitting here counting pennies I got a phone call from someone who wants me to make a quilt for her baby. She will bring me the material next Friday. So if I can make it quick and get some money to put down on a saw.
                        Diane
                        Dragon
                        Owner of a Dewalt 788
                        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I have had a P-20 almost a year and love it.
                          Bill
                          Delta P-20

Comment

I have a DW788 Crfty and honestly don't think you can go wrong with it ... especially at that price. I just bought mine here in Ontario last year. Saw + Stand was $599 and I had to fight for that price but I won the fight. I see Sears has the DW788 in their tool list now too. There have been some problems with the DW788 in their newest Type II models but nothing I haven't been able to work around. I love my Dewalt!! Seriously, not a bad thing to say about it. I've only been on a Delta P20 once and it too is a very good saw. I didn't purchase it because I don't like the motor jutting out on the front and I like the engineering of the upper arm on the Dewalt and Excalibur but couldn't afford the Excalibur! LOL

Andy
                            Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

What is the problem with type ll?
                              Diane
                              Dragon
                              Owner of a Dewalt 788
                              PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• planeur
                                Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
                                by planeur
                                Merci Rolf , I use Pegas blade but not that kind, interesting what they say about it.
                                I will try them.
                                Have a good day

planeur
                                Today, 09:22 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to My beauties
                                by will8989
                                Looks like glass with the sun shining through it....
                                Today, 08:08 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to My beauties
                                by will8989
                                He puts biscuts between the long pieces, is that what you meant? He has stainless screws in the lips then puts the plugs on top of that. Scott, cutting one doesn’t take long. It’s the removing of the tiny drill hole, spraying each piece with distilled water, letting dry, sanding and sometimes flap...
                                Yesterday, 10:55 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
                                by Rolf
                                Like Bob said clamp a straight edge to the table and adjust it to compensate for the blade drift. There are some blades that have no or very little drift. Like the Olson PGT series it also seems to me that the Pegas MGT 3 or larger cut very straight....
                                Yesterday, 07:54 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to My beauties
                                by Rolf
                                I now you do beautiful work but I have to say your attention to details on these baskets is impressive. soft smooth edges, no visible glue squeeze out. And of course the cutting boards are beautiful. I am guessing that Bruce cut a spline in the end of the board and then dowels. I have not seen that...
                                Yesterday, 07:49 AM
                              Working...
                              X