Companion Scroll Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companion Scroll Saw

I recently bought a Companion Scroll Saw at a garage sale to get started in using a scroll saw. The blades are pinless and are 5 and 3/8ths inches long. All the blades I can find at Home Depot and Sears are 5 inches long. Someone on this website said to contact Sears because they used to sell companion saws, but when I did they said 'yes, we used to carry them but we no longer do and parts are no longer available for your model'. Anyone know of any place else I can get these size blades. Your help would be most appreciated. Also, could I just use the 5 inch blades in place of the 5 and 3/8ths inch blades?
    Greg Siemienkiewicz

Re: Companion Scroll Saw

Sears has a really big parts department and they are on the internet, I would put them up on a search and see what the parts department says first ???

Comment

Greg I've looked all over for those blades and none are to be found. You can pickup a package of 5 inch blades at Walmart for a few dollars to try them out.

When I was a kid, my Dad had one of those saws and I'm pretty sure that he used 5 inch blades in it.

Comment

Hi Greg,

It is very easy to make them the size you want. Just cut some of the top or bottom. You didn't say if they have reverse teeth. If they have don't cut too much from the bottom, the reverse teeth might not come above the table.
        All blades made in Germany are 130 mm, that comes to 5-1/8 inches.

Mike M
        SD Mike

Comment

Mike

He said he is looking for 5 & 3/8' blades. If you use 5' blades what does the saw do? Saws usually have a cam that raises and lowers the arms and not sure if that using 5' blades will let the cam complete a turn. Maybe this doesn't mean anything and it is worth just trying the 5' blade. Just thinking out loud.
          John T.

Comment

Greg

I just did a quick web search and it seems Pegas has 6' blades and I do not know what style and width and all but the site was www.bearwood.com You should be able to cut them down as Mike said. Hope this helps.
            John T.

Comment

Hi John,

Thank you. :-[
              Had coffee with Sliver Silver this morning and he told me about it.  He said I was all wet with my answer.  He is right this time.  
              Sometimes you can take the tension way down, this would bring the upper arm down maybe not enough, or am I wet on that also. :
              Mike M
              SD Mike

Comment

Those older saws have a fixed upper assembly with a 'floating' shaft to connect the top of the blade to, so most any size blade will fit. I had an old 1966 model Powematic 24 inch beast that weighted in at over 250 pounds, same thing, I could use any blade from 3 inch to probably 8 inches (never saw one that big). It was a great saw, but didn't have the floor space. Bought it for $50 and was offered $500 so I helped load it up.

Comment

Greg, I was changing the blade in my coping saw last night and happened to notice the blade size on the package - they're 6 inches, but when I measured them, they're actually 6 1/2 inches long. They are pinned blades, but the pins are easily removed and if they are too long for your saw, you could always trim a bit off to make them the right length!

Comment

You might try Micro-Mark at www.micromark.com.
                    They sell blades for their microlux multi saw that uses blades 5-1/8 - 5-1/2' long.

:

Comment

Originally posted by siemienkiewicz
                      I recently bought a Companion Scroll Saw at a garage sale to get started in using a scroll saw. The blades are pinless and are 5 and 3/8ths inches long. All the blades I can find at Home Depot and Sears are 5 inches long. Someone on this website said to contact Sears because they used to sell companion saws, but when I did they said 'yes, we used to carry them but we no longer do and parts are no longer available for your model'. Anyone know of any place else I can get these size blades. Your help would be most appreciated. Also, could I just use the 5 inch blades in place of the 5 and 3/8ths inch blades?
                      Greg Siemienkiewicz
                      Greg I have never heard of that saw but you are waisting your money if you buy any blades from sears,homedepot or lowes or your local lumber yard.
                      I personnally have had the best luck with Mike M.
                      www.mikesworkshop.com
                      If you adjust your machine these should work. He has the best price and very good blades.
                      Chet

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X