bandsaw question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bandsaw question

I know that on a scrollsaw you can get your fingers almost at the blade but how close can you get on a bansaw. I just got my 1/8" blades and I would like to try some cube puzzles.
    Diane
    Dragon
    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
    Owner of a Dewalt 788
    PuffityDragon on AFSP

A bandsaw is not as forgiving as a scroll saw. I would not get my fingers close to a bandsaw blade even if it is a 1/8 inch blade because it is moving much faster and cuts much faster and it can cut your fingers off in just a blink of an eye. Be very careful when using the bandsaw.
    Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
    and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

yea, you can cut as close as you want to a bandsaw these days, thanx to modern medicine.
      Attached Files
      Jeff Powell

Comment

Ekkk! Is that yours?

When I asked the question it wasn't to put my fingers next to the blade but I want to cut a cube about 4" x 4" so that's how far or close my fingers will be. I am also worried about if the blade breaks what will happen?
        Dragon
        Owner of a Dewalt 788
        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

If the blade breaks, it smashes down doing less damage...I could do this all day,
          Attached Files
          Jeff Powell

Comment

A band saw is sort of like a pet rattlesnake......If you get your fingers too close it will bite you!! I have a friend who almost lost a finger trying to back the blade out of an arched cut. Also, some beginners on the bandsaw will try to cut wood too thick for the blade size. The blade can "cup" or "wander" inside the wood so that,even though it appears to be cutting vertically on top at the pattern line, it is actually some distance off to the right or left deeper inside the cut. If your finger is in the way when you exit the cut it's goodbye finger. I have been using the same Craftsman band saw since 1980 and although I've never cut myself with it I've had a few close calls over the years. The best rule of thumb is that, if you're concerned with the safety of a particular cut you're trying to make, it probably isn't safe. It's a relatively safe tool if you pay attention to what you're doing but there is no comparison between safe practices on a bandsaw and those on a scroll saw.
            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Took me months to not be afraid of the scroll saw if you keep it up it might take me years for the bandsaw.
              Dragon
              Owner of a Dewalt 788
              PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Not sure if this guy owns a bandsaw...he has other issues, like sleeping in a wheatfield, must be from Minesota
                Attached Files
                Jeff Powell

Comment

seriously though, I would consider cutting your blocks on a table saw with a fence and a push stick. Just make sure the nut is tight on the blade.
                  Attached Files
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

It will be hard to work with a fence or pushstick because I want to make turns with it. That is why I bought the 1/8" blade.
                    Dragon
                    Owner of a Dewalt 788
                    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I think a dose of fear is good when you aren't familiar with a power tool. Use it to keep you thinking and cautious, just don't let it prevent you from using the tool.

On the Bandsaw, make sure the upper blade guide is down as far as possible, relative to the thickness of our wood and that the blade guard is in place. If the saw is well tuned, the blade sharp and you aren't pushing it beyond it's capacity, you can be reasonably certain where the blade will be at all times. Just keep an eye on your fingers and don't get them in the path. Maybe you can put a couple f-clamps or quick clamps on your block and hold onto them instead of the wood. Might be a little awkward, but it will let you get more comfortable using the saw, while adding an extra layer of safety.
                      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

a 4 inch piece is a reasonable size, you shouldn't have any trouble doing what you need on the bandsaw. just go slow and keep fingers far away as you can...make some relief cuts if your cutting a circle to ease the force on the side of the blade.
                        Jeff Powell

Comment

This is what I wanted to try cutting on the bandsaw with the 1/8" blade.
                          http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/l...ndsawcube4.jpg
                          Dragon
                          Owner of a Dewalt 788
                          PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

If you have any "BIG" pieces of scrap wood, it might be wise to practice a little before cutting anything where before your fingers get close to the blade. Remember the scrollsaw is a band aid tool. Band saw is not. It should be given the same respect as a table saw because it can cut you just as fast.
                            Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                            Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                            Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. I will not be using it until the new year when I can take my time and have nothing else to think about.
                              Dragon
                              Owner of a Dewalt 788
                              PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X