Dust Collectors/extractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collectors/extractors

Hi. I am redoing my work area which happens to be in the double garage. Space is tight as we also have a lot of other tools (and 2 cars). I have a sweet Delta scroll saw that I bought new, and it will be fairly close to a window. I spend a great deal of time cleaning up sawdust but wear a good mask. A friend suggested a 1 HP dust collector but the size is a bit large for our space. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Judy

If you own the home, you could build a small addition on the outside wall and run the suction pipe through the wall, this will also cut down on the noise in the shop area. This could be done for just a minimal cost.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Do you need a dust collector or will a good shop vacuum work? If you want to collect the dust from the scroll saw a good vacuum will work just fine.

I have a older Hegner scroll saw that I made dust collection for both above and below the table using a shop vacuum. It works well for me and really keeps the dust down. I have it set up so the vacuum comes on when I start the saw.

2013_02_05_Scroll_Dust3F.jpg

If you decide to use a shop vac, you need to make certain that there is no problem running it for a long time. In addition, the fine dust from the scroll saw tends to clog filters or bags and they need to be changed.

Comment

I have a built in vacuum in the garage with me, and we own a shop vac but find the noise overwhelming. The dust collector that my friend has is less noisy (or seemed to be in his house), but the size is pretty big. Thanks for the note about having to have the vac running for a long time though, I will consider that, and really appreciate seeing your picture.

Comment

I run a 1hp dust collector when I sand on my lathe and when I run my sanders but I never could stand the noise when I scroll. I enjoy listening to the radio so extra noise woudl take away the enjoyment.

I do clean up a every once and a while with the shop vac that is attached to a Dust Deputy. Sucks like crazy and the filter never needs cleaning.

I also have a overhead dust collecor that I run after I leave the shop for an hour.

My shop is in the basement and my wife commented the other day that we get hardly any dust into the house.

Don
          Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

My BOSE noise canceling headphones (with my iPhone plugged into them solves the noise problem and let's me hear music while DC and/or ShopVac runs.
            Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

My shop is in the part of our basement under the great room where my wife spends a lot of time reading so I put in a Jet Vortex with a pleated filter, in a different part of the basement.
              with ductwork (4" pvc) all over. So far I am happy with it.
              Like Don I chose not to put dust collection on my saw I wear a half mask instead. Eventualy I may build something with a muffin fan just to grab the dust the blower kicks up.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thank you again for your suggestions. I guess part of the problem is that my saw is currently directly beside the steps into the house and when the door opens dust certainly gets sucked into the house. That is why I am reconfiguring the design of where our stuff is and moving the saw onto another wall. We are fortunate to be able to open either garage door independently, and have a window, so hope with moving the saw the house dust will be down. Again, I really appreciate your suggestions. Love this hobby, just need to reconfigure my time now!

Comment

You could also use a box fan with a furnace filter strapped to it to suck up some of the finer airborne dust.

I use a Shop Vac with a Dust Deputy as others have mentioned. I don't run it while I am using the scroll saw, but do for my table saw, band saw, etc. The Dust Deputy is awesome.

Comment

I wanted to mention that you could wrap an old nylon stockings around the filter in the shop vac and it will help alot on reducing the clogging of the actual filter, and make it easier to clean depending on how often it gets used.

Also I liked the above comment on the furnace filter, its what I use in the shop have an old squirrel cage blower that has an furnace filter on each end and blows the air out over the ceiling of the shop and back in its self through the filters, I clean both of them simply by sucking them off with the shop vac hose about once or every other week or so.

Comment

Quartz43,

hello,
                      Can you tell me where you found this pipe and what is its diameter
                      thank you
                      Attached Files
                      Excuse my English, I go through a translator
                      Jean-Jacques
                      http://tour-dec.fr/

Comment

Yeah! McGyvering minds want to know!! Way cooler looking than plastic tubing!
                        Walter
                        Pinelog Creek, FL
                        DW788 Owner since 2013

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
                        And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Comment

That tubing is called Loc Line a Google search will bring up places to buy it.
                          Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Thanks! I had NO clue what it was called and I tried all sorts of strange names to figure it out!
                            Walter
                            Pinelog Creek, FL
                            DW788 Owner since 2013

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
                            And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Comment

Thanks, I have found in France
                              http://www.loc-line.fr/files/produit...c-line_3-4.pdf
                              Excuse my English, I go through a translator
                              Jean-Jacques
                              http://tour-dec.fr/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X