This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GaryT

There are two types of scroll saws you have parallel and parallel link, the first one is like what you get on lower end saw the arms move in sync but when the up down motion happens the blade tends to curve or move front to back slightly these saws are good for aggressive cutting and make it hard for fine detail cut, the second saw like what the dewalt and excalibur is makes the arms motion smooth up down the blade moves straight up down making detail cuts very nice but the cut is slower not as aggressive.

There should not be any side to side movement some and most saws have a set screw on one of the blade clamp and thumb screw on the other useing these adjustments you align the blade side to side to get ride of that movement. Being a 400 dollar saw it should have better quality than that, about 200 more you can get a excalibur saw and its alot better. I don't know anything about proxxon saws other than they are green and yellow in color lol. See if you can use that set screw and adjust your side to side movement see if that helps will take time to get it right and trial and error, if you can put the saw on slowest speed, useing a edge of scrape wood run saw after each adjustment see of the side motion goes away or gets worse. Hope this helps.

Comment

I own a Haw, which I have he for several years. Originally I purchased a Delta, after a couple of years I upgraded to the Hawk. I liked the blade clamp system on the Hawk much better then the Delta.

When I decided to buy the new one, I considered a Hegner and went with the Hawk, never regretted the decision. I have had it at least 12 years, and although I do not use it as much as most of you, I have never had any trouble with it.

Jackie

A very special man taught me "Can't never did anything"

Hawk is my saw

Comment

I just got a porter-cable from Lowe's($200) I was using a craftsman I got at a garage sale for $40. The insert on the PC is plastic and sets below the level of the table causing board chatter or hopping. I took a piece of 3/16 aluminum and made a new insert. chatter and hopping went away. The motor drags when you make square corners but is getting better the more I use it.

I like this saw very much. Blade changes are a lot quicker and feeding blades for inside cuts are a lot faster. But I only have the old craftsman to compare to. Wanted to get DW788 but budget wouldn't allow it.
        Something Profound

Comment

Can there be a new version of this? I last responded to this years ago when I was using an old Dremel 1830. I have since grown through a DW788 and have settled on the EX-21 (for now) :}

My bet is that many others have done the same. Plus - there are some new saws out there, or new saw vendors/manufacturers.

This probably needs to be upgraded to correctly display current preferences.

Thanks to whoever did the work on this. If I had the foggiest notions of programming or web survey database/graphing, I'd try it. But for this, I have to rely on others wisdom & knowledge - with a grateful thanks.
          The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Like Jan, I started with the Craftsman 16 and decided quickly to upgrade. Thankfully cost was not an issue and after considerable research I settled on the Excalibur 21. The difference is amazing, but then again so is the cost difference. But the point can't be made any clearer as to which Scroll saw is the best. I chose the EX 21 because I couldn't find one used for sale anywhere on the internet when I went shopping. I found lots of DeWalts and most of the other brands listed but no Excaliburs. that told me that those who owned them, didn't let them go. Having owned mine for some time I can see why. The Craftsman is in the garage waiting for the occasional easy cut, the Excalibur is in the house getting used everyday! Couldn't ask for a better Saw.

Comment

Hi,,,after shopping online for about 6 months, I finally got a really good deal on a 11 year old Hegner Polymax. This is the first good newer saw I ever used, besides a 20 year old RBI with a ac fasco motor, which I only got to use about one minute. The RBI was very close and may have been a great saw but the owner would not tell me how much they wanted for it, they refused my offer. I do not have any experience to compare this saw with any others. I believe the Dewalt, Excalibur, or RBI would have been satisfactory.
              My Hegner seems to be in good shape for a 11 year old saw. I think this may not be the best saw for fret work and a lot of starting and stopping. But I am looking forward to getting a lot of use out of it, including fret work. Since I am new to scroll sawing I have a lot to learn. So out of a score of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I would give this 10 year old saw a 7.5 Dan in PA

Comment

Originally posted by dwssr2 View Post
                Hi,,,after shopping online for about 6 months, I finally got a really good deal on a 11 year old Hegner Polymax. This is the first good newer saw I ever used, besides a 20 year old RBI with a ac fasco motor, which I only got to use about one minute. The RBI was very close and may have been a great saw but the owner would not tell me how much they wanted for it, they refused my offer. I do not have any experience to compare this saw with any others. I believe the Dewalt, Excalibur, or RBI would have been satisfactory.
                My Hegner seems to be in good shape for a 11 year old saw. I think this may not be the best saw for fret work and a lot of starting and stopping. But I am looking forward to getting a lot of use out of it, including fret work. Since I am new to scroll sawing I have a lot to learn. So out of a score of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I would give this 10 year old saw a 7.5 Dan in PA
                Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I have a type 1 Dewalt which I used for a while and then I came across a hegner 18vs a few years ago and have used that steadily since.
                  I find the hegner has a straighter cut and I make a lot of small ornaments and such with 1/8 bb plywood. I still have my type 1 Dw788 and keep it for a backup saw if I need one

DEWALT 788 and Hegner 18vs..... AND STILL CUTTIN IT UP!!!!

Member of Scrollsaw Association of the World

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X