Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend that has replaced the motor on his DeWalt four times is considering getting a Porter Cable saw. Anyone here have experience with that saw?
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

my favorite saw is a OTHER [harbor freight ], I change the blade holder so I could use the plain blades, changing the blades were a pain until I drill a hole from the
      bottom so that I could use a straight Allen wrench , this saw may be all that I need for a while

Comment

Hi all, new to the forum and to serious scroll work. started with an entry level "off brand" 20 yrs ago and was so disappointed every time I used it I began to think scroll work was just to hard so it just sat in the corner. I've recently retired and back into wood working, I started researching scroll saws on the net and realized I had no clue what I was doing in the past. I settled on an Excalibur 16 and I can not believe what a difference a good saw makes. I've been putting it to hard work for the last mo. or so making all kinds of projects for Xmas presents. I love this machine, smooth, smooth, smooth! I've used it cut some 3/4" hard maple for cutting boards and it never skipped a beat. The blade change is so easy and I really like the tilting head (made a few small bowls). Bottom line for all other newbies out there, you get what you pay for, if you can't afford a better saw, wait until you can.

Comment

I have a craftsman.
          Tricia

Comment

I now have a ex-21 after many problems with dw788
            If someone has great passion for what they do, it is not considered work

Jeff Robinson
            Panama City Fl.
            Cutting with EX-21

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              Thanks Shawn for making the effort.
              I would love to have one of the manufacturers wake up and make an entry level saw with easy to use clamps for < $200. They would have a gold mine.
              Amen! I can't believe how easy it would be and why in the world it hasn't been done!

You would think entry level saw manufacturers would want to make a product as user friendly as possible. I know scroll sawing isn't for everyone but nothing will discourage a first time user faster than a poorly designed saw. Word of mouth advertising can be the best or worst there is IMHO.
              Last edited by Stoney; 12-14-2013, 09:37 AM.
              Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

Dewalt is a big improvement but...

I started out with an old Dremel. It seemed OK at the time. Then I got my DeWalt, and I realized how bad the Dremel had been. Now I'm contemplating another step up -- possibly to a Hegner 22-V. I doubt this step up in quality will be as dramatic as the last one was. And it will be a big step up on $$ too. Alas, its like everything else in life - you get what you pay for, I guess.
                -- Jim N.

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I'm going to guess you will hate the blade changing too. go for the excaliber 21 or 30 much less money super easy blade changing (same as your dewalt) & the head tilts and that is a great feature.
                  "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                  Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                    I'm going to guess you will hate the blade changing too. go for the excaliber 21 or 30 much less money super easy blade changing (same as your dewalt) & the head tilts and that is a great feature.
                    I agree Mike on blade changes and I know because I have owned a Hegner 22V for five years.

I will not recommend a Hegner brand saw because of the blade clamps they currently use.
                    Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

I purchased a DeWalt 788 type 2 new four years ago and it's running great. I had to do two minor fixes to it and it was easy to do. The front to back blade movement and tensioning rod adjustment and they both can be found at Rick's Scroll saw Rick's Scrollsaw.
                      I will say this, no matter what saw you purchase there is a certain amount of maintenance that is required. Especially if you plan to run your saw hard every day cutting thick wood. Once the warrantee has expired,I think is a good idea to get into these saws and grease them. You could avoid unnecessary repairs if you do. I just ordered another DW788. I love the saw. Just my opinion.
                      Kerf ~ Line Crafts
                      http://www.etsy.com/shop/kerflinecrafts

DeWalt 788 x 2

Comment

I started with a skil brand was a waste of time and money simply put I took it back pretty fast, ended up with a craftsman saw like this one Sears.com

Over all it was a good saw, cut with no problem, ran great would be a good entry level saw to see if you wanted to get into scroll sawing. I did my own little tweaks to it, removed the hold foot right off, used the thumb screw for the hold down on teh upper blade clamp on the ride side as I am right handed, so this made it easy to change holes as I am a top feeder, the table top is awful, has major machining marks to the point you can feel the ridges and are rough, I took the table off and sanded smooth as I could which helped alot, the blower is useless, get a big aquarium pump and use that instead, I also found out the arm bushings are not lubed that well, it takes a big allen wrench remove the arm bolts, and out a light coat of wheel bearing grease on the bushings and bolts it will run smoother, this can be done with the arm on the saw and would highly recommend this step before even turning the saw on, don't ask how I know. And once in a while remove the arm bolts and keep it greased, I didn't and the bushings wore out. It does have blade movement front to back, but like the EX has the motor adjustment, I was able to get mine set to reduce that movement, it is loud, does vibrate pretty good but helps to bolt it down and use a old carpet or rug under it will reduce this greatly.

Over all its good starter saw to get you going if keeping the arm bushings greased up should help with them lasting as mine lasted about a year and now sits in the shed unsueable till I spend what I bought the saw for in parts to fix it. If I was to rate this saw I would give a 5 out of 10, if the arm bushing were bearings it would be alot better off.

Comment

Well, I guess I'll put in my two cents worth. Hope it helps someone.
                          I have the Porter Cable scroll saw from Lowes. It seems like a nice saw. It was within my price range (around $200.00). Runs pretty smooth. I put a custom hardboard surface on the table, though. The aluminum table just wasn't smooth enough for me. I couldn't seem to move the pieces around very well. Works fine with the hardboard. And I would like to have a different way of installing the pinless blades. It's a little awkward. Seems to work ok. I need more practice and experience with the saw in order to feel more comfortable, I guess.
                          That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
                          Ray

Comment

Ray,
                            Did you get one of the newly released Porter Cable saws or the now older model?? If you did get the newer one, how is the new LED light?
                            Walter
                            Pinelog Creek, FL
                            DW788 Owner since 2013

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
                            And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Comment

The DeWalt 788 ,was my fourth scroll saw , Kept #2&#3 mounted for the grand kids to play around with and rough quick work w/ cut off band saw blade in the shop! The DeWalt 788 Type one ,is user friendly ,Rick"s ,made it a pleasure to adjust and maintain when required (seldom) .The large cast iron hollow table ,has allowed a excellent invisible vacuum system( Critical to me) DIY to be installed to eliminate all dust and blowers fans etc.,super easy to modify w/ catch tray .single point swing lit mag.and vac upper .Tapered table, all make it a great saw ,I do Not run production ,but I know ,I run it as much as most scrollers ever will . They work great right out of the box ,but as age and COPD raised there ugly heads ,I was double glad I had a saw that could be modified to my changing needs ,I have no need or plans to change saws access to parts and information can't be beat ,and No I am not connected to DeWalt in any way shape or Form.
                              "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                              Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Originally posted by ramonerl View Post
                                Well, I guess I'll put in my two cents worth. Hope it helps someone.
                                I have the Porter Cable scroll saw from Lowes. It seems like a nice saw. It was within my price range (around $200.00). Runs pretty smooth. I put a custom hardboard surface on the table, though. The aluminum table just wasn't smooth enough for me. I couldn't seem to move the pieces around very well. Works fine with the hardboard. And I would like to have a different way of installing the pinless blades. It's a little awkward. Seems to work ok. I need more practice and experience with the saw in order to feel more comfortable, I guess.
                                That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
                                Ray
                                Have you tried applying the johnsons paste wax to the table? Makes the wood slide alot better, you put on like car wax, apply it ot the table wait till dries to a haze then use a clean cloth to buff off. I do this to my tables on my old craftsman and on my EX it helps.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                  Reply to Construction Vehicles - Truck
                                  by will8989
                                  You noticed that RJ? 😁😁
                                  Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                                • will8989
                                  Reply to Help
                                  by will8989
                                  I’m going to deal with it tomorrow. As for a hammer. We buried my last uncle 2 weeks ago. He was 87 and a farmer and “handy man”. The one thing he was handy with was a hammer. Tractor, didn’t run. Hit it with a hammer. Window didn’t open. Where’s that hammer. We have pictures of him with...
                                  Yesterday, 10:29 PM
                                • wjbclocks1
                                  Reply to Thin fin plywood 1.5 mm (.059")
                                  by wjbclocks1
                                  What is the differance between Finish Birch ply wood and regular Birch plywood ?
                                  Yesterday, 06:01 PM
                                • NC Scroller
                                  Reply to Help
                                  by NC Scroller
                                  Like Woodtography said contact your printer company. You may have to install a special driver. Having working in the computer industry I know that software upgrades and technology changes sometimes makes hardware and even some programs obsolete. Seen it happen to hardware worth hundreds of thousands....
                                  Yesterday, 05:06 PM
                                • millwab
                                  Reply to House warming puzzle
                                  by millwab
                                  It also works well when you want to glue down a pattern. Attach the pattern to the contact paper, and when you’re done cutting just peal it off. No residue to clean up!
                                  Yesterday, 02:58 PM
                                Working...
                                X