Cutting plexiglass question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting plexiglass question

A friend asked me if I could cut two pieces of plexiglass into 5" circles. I'm guessing my scroll saw would do it. But I'm not sure what blade to use and how fast the saw should be running so the plexiglass doesn't melt. He thought the plexiglass would be about a 1/4" thick. Also, would I still need to wrap the plexiglass in packing tape?

Dan

The best blade for Acrylics that I have found is the FD polar blade at a moderate speed.
    If it starts to melt slow it down a bit. Usualy the plexi has paper on it and I just glue the pattern directly to it. If it is bare I use blue tape under the pattern and on the back side to keep the platic from scratching.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hi Dan, What Rolf says is good advice. I cut some 3mm yesterday. I stuck the pattern directly onto the protective coating and stack cut 3 layers, taping the layers together with clear packing tape. I used a #3 FD polar blade at my lowest speed and just let the blade do the work. It worked a treat. A light sanding round the edges and done. Don't use a reverse tooth blade, the friction causes the material to melt behind the cut and re-weld the material together.
      Mick
      I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks guys, if I remember correctly I do have some FD #3 polars at home. I'll give that a try

Danb

Comment

Depending on what they are needed for, a hole saw might be a whole lot easier, with perfect circles and no melting. Downside is they would have a hole in the middle. Could probably cut them without using a bit so there would be no hole, but it would be hard to control until a grove is made ,,, But not many folks have a 5" hole saw offhand, would cost around $8 or so.

Comment

If you cut a hole in plywood then use the plywood to guide the holesaw , cutting a 5 " circle out of plastic with the holesaw will not need a drill bit , this will require you clamping the plywood on top of the plastic, the hole in the plywood will guide the holesaw

Comment

I used a Pegas #3 DS, slow speed and clear paching tape
              Excuse my English, I go through a translator
              Jean-Jacques
              http://tour-dec.fr/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X