Speedy Dewalt 788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedy Dewalt 788

I have a Dewalt 788 that I have had for many years and have used a lot. Recently I have bot been able to control the speed, first it would race then almost stop. I took it in expecting that the variable speed control went out. Everything associated with the variable speed checked out fine and it was determined that the motor was at fault. New motor costs $200+. Just wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and what you did about it? I`m leaning towards a new saw as with a new motor I still have an old saw.

No issues with my DW saw and it's been going now for 6-years some weeks non-stop motor is fine..... if it were my saw I'd keep the old body add the new motor and call it good, wouldn't want to change, plus where I'm at I've got a good factory store that does super good repair work... had a sander fixed once

cutting up one piece at a time

Comment

I would also suggest a new motor; there have been reports of problems with table flatness with the new, Type 2 Dewalts...

If your saw is older, you are guaranteed that the table is flat; otherwise you may be rolling the dice.

Bob Duncan
      Technical Editor
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Oh, sorry I didnt read this a couple days ago! There was a scrollsaw motor and speed control unit from a used saw someone was selling on ebay and it went fairly cheap! Keep watching there. Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

My money is on the variable speed controller because that is what my authorized DeWalt dealer told me when my saw was near the end of its usefull life and was doing what yours is doing . But then it is certainly possible it could be your motor but the motor was one thing that never gave me a problem.
          Have you actually had the saw checked out by an authorized repair depot ?
          Of course if you are able to get some used parts from ebay for a real good price that may be an inexpensive way of tying both a different motor and a different speed controller . Providing the parts from ebay are guaranteed. Buying those type of parts from ebay can be risky if the seller won't give you at least a 30 day money back warranty.
          Good luck and let us know how you make out.
          W.Y.
          http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I would bypass the switch and try running the saw to see if it actually does slow down and speed up. If you are not comfortable in wiring past the switch yourself By all means get an electricians help. Steve
            If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
            My Gallery
            [email protected]

Comment

I had a similiar problem with my DeWalt,called the B&D service,and ordered a speed control fo $60.00....I cleaned out the sawdust in the speed control,and it started working again correctly,now I have a spare speed control.Bob
              Be the good,
              you want to see in the world...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X