Axminster AWFS18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gill
    What I do probably isn't what other Hegner users do, but it's what the Hegner people from Hailsham told me to do and it seems to work !
    Thanks, I was leaving the locking screw open, this time I locked it as you suggest and it seems to give that little bit more control as well. Or am I just getting more practised...anyway, the fresh blade hasn't broken yet.

Chris
    "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Chris,

Just to let you know that Santa has an AWSF18 in his sack for me, so expect to see me back here after Christmas!

Regards

Gary
      Gary

My saw - Axminster AWSF18

Comment

Hey Taffy!

Have a sawdust-filled Christmas! Hope you are as happy with your Ax as I am with mine...

Chris
        "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Comment

Hi Chris (and Gill!),

Well, I am now the proud owner of a nice shiny new AWSF18.

First impressions are pretty good - as Chris said it is certainly a heavy lump! My back is still aching from lifting it out of it's box!

I cleaned all the goo off the cast iron table, and then gave it a good coat of paste wax, let it dry and buffed it off, so hopefully the table shouldn't rust!

I put the stand together and bolted it all up tight, and when I turned it the right way up, it was rocking on its feet, so I then slackened all the nuts off, fiddled about with it until everything was nice and square and tightened everything back up. I still wasn't too happy about it being rigid enough, so I went to B+Q and bought a paving slab. I drilled three holes in the slab and bolted it to the top of the stand. I then drilled the slab to take the mounting bolts for the saw and mounted the saw on top of the slab.

Now everything is nice and square and secure, and absolutely no vibration at all right through the speed range.

I haven't actually done much cutting yet, as I had some new turning tools for Christmas, so I spent most of the holiday getting to know them, but I will be photocopying some plans this week, and then having a go at cutting them on the weekend! I will let you all know how I get on!

Regards

Gary
          Gary

Comment

I'm holding my breath in anticipation of your next post, Gary. Quick, cut something and let us know how you get on - I'm turning blue!

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Hi Gary!

Glad to have another Ax-man to compare details with. That is a neat idea with the B&Q paving slab. Did you also find the mounting holes of the saw out of alignment with the mounting holes in the stand?

Something not always mentioned by scrollers is noise. This is a very quiet saw. I wrote before that my partner couldn't hear it in operation while she was watching TV downstairs. Since then I've been able to scroll in the wee small hours while she's asleep on the same floor, just a short passage between the two rooms - doesn't wake her up, no complaints from the neighbours.

Of course that would doubtless change if I was running a dust extractor as well but for those of us who have to scroll in the home, quiet is good.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Yes - I did find that the holes in the table are not compatible with the holes in the saw base. In fairness to Axminster it does say in their catalogue that the stand is designed for their smaller scroll saws. They suggest making a false base from plywood for the saw that we have, which is where I got the idea of using a paving slab (plus Gill's suggestion of a slab of granite). The paving slab has a couple of advantages over plywood - it is more rigid, and it has a lot more mass - both of which are desirable qualities when trying to prevent vibration. (I have a doctorate in noise and vibration FWIW )

If you do go down the route of using a paving slab, make sure you get one that is flat on both sides, as a lot of them have contoured / textured tops. To be honest, I would go to your local garden centre, as they will have much wider range to chose from - the one I used is only approx 1/2" thick, whereas I have seen some that are nearer an inch thick - more stiffness + more mass = less vibration!!

Like you I am very impressed with how quiet the saw is when it is running, which I would imagine is quite important for a tool that one spends hours at a time using.

I am going to order some blade holders, a clock key and some table inserts and blades from Hegner today (as per Gill's recommendation)- I will let you know if they fit OK when they arrive.

Regards

Gary
                Gary

Comment

Gary

Comment

Yay!!!!

Great news .

I can't wait to see what you've made. First projects are great benchmarks for measuring your progress - I wish I'd kept mine.

Gill
                    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Great news, Taffy...

I am also waiting to see what you've come up with! And it is good to know that (most) of the Hegner stuff fits. Does the clock key make a big difference, by the way?

Chris

Comment

Gary

Comment

Hi,
                          I've just sold my delta & have now become a owner of a Axminster AWFS18. One thing I have noticed is that the air blower has nowhere to attach to the saw. It also has no referance in the instructions to how it is used. Did anyone else find this & how did you solve it?
                          Dan.

Comment

UK Dan -

If you mean there's nowhere for the air tube and the articulated section to clip on to the saw, yes, that is true. My solution was to raise the hold-down plate and use that as a sort of improvised clamp to hold the blower. It works fine like that. Or you could take the hold down plate off completely and use its fixing holes to mount something smaller to hold the hose.

Using the hold-down plate for this is no sacrifice because it's almost useless in its proper function. If it is low enough down to hold the workpiece then it is so low it gets in the way of your hands.

Chris

Comment

For those who have the Hegner and copies, I would highly recommend going to the Hegner website,
                              http://www.advmachinery.com/default....roducts&grp=25 and check out the vacuum system for the saw. I got two of them and rigged it up so it would also work on my P-20. The way the system is now is a bit flimsy but is easily reinforced. I would much rather a vacuum system than a dust blowing all over everything including me.
                              ChuckD
                              Senior give me a Discount
                              Last edited by ChuckD; 03-21-2007, 04:22 PM.
                              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X