Viberation on the Delta 40-540 scroll saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viberation on the Delta 40-540 scroll saw

Has anybody had any trouble with the viberation on the delta model 40-540 scrollsaw or what are the fixes for this problem.

rms112462

Vibration could be caused by a number of things. Need more information, has it always vibrated or did it just start? Do you have it fastened down to a work bench or stand? Does it vibrate only while sawing or all the time? Could be that the tension is not set right or the type of wood you are sawing. Check for loose parts, could be a screw or other part has vibrated loose. Check out Rick's site at www.scrollsaws.com, he has a number of fixes for different saws.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Lack of lubrication on the upper and lower arm pivot bushings can also cause it. Usually when it starts it is is too late to correct without changing the bushings.Then use white lithium grease on them instead of oil.
      It is a case where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
      Some of them came right out of the factory with very little lubrication on the moving parts. That is the first thing I always check on any new power tool. If there is a way to lubricate moving parts it is best to do it right from the start and at regular intervals thereafter.
      There are other things that will cause vibration on that model but this is probably the most common one.
      W.Y.
      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Delta vibration

An sometimes they just vibrate when cutting at more than half speed.
        Cathy

Comment

I love that saw. I have had a few vibration issues in the past but lubrication and cleaning will resolve most.
          If there is a service center close to you a tune up is a cheap way of getting things to run smoothly.

I also found that if you mount the saw into a sand table the mass of the saw is increased and the vibration will decrease.
          Some people will suggest rubber mats under the saw but I find this does not reduce vibration it just isolates it from the bench.

There are great plans for a sand filled base in a couple of Nick Englers books.
          You can usually pick one up at your local library.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by William Young (SE BC)
            Lack of lubrication on the upper and lower arm pivot bushings can also cause it. Usually when it starts it is is too late to correct without changing the bushings.Then use white lithium grease on them instead of oil.
            It is a case where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
            Some of them came right out of the factory with very little lubrication on the moving parts. That is the first thing I always check on any new power tool. If there is a way to lubricate moving parts it is best to do it right from the start and at regular intervals thereafter.
            There are other things that will cause vibration on that model but this is probably the most common one.
            W.Y.

When you say pivot bushings do you mean the brass bushings in the upper and lower arms.they do have just a little side play in them could this be the cause of the vibration.

rms112462

Thank's for all the info guys.this saw has be setting up for over a year and i can't remember it vibrating this bad.i oiled all the pivot points.

Comment

The bolts on those bushings changed over the years they now have a spring washer that takes up some of the play.
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

When you say pivot bushings do you mean the brass bushings in the upper and lower arms.they do have just a little side play in them could this be the cause of the vibration.

A little side play is normal and yes, Carl is right in that they are fitted with a spring washer to compensate for that.
                It takes very little wear for those bushings to cause trouble if they run dry rubbing metal to metal on the bolts. Too bad they didn't put external oil cups on them like they do on the P-20's where a couple drops of oil every 20 hours or so will make them last indefinitely. But then that is the difference in a hobby quality saw and a industrial quality saw. The P-20 has bushings about double the size of the smaller saws along with a simple way of keeping them lubricated.
                But nothing wrong with the hobby quality ones if they are kept well maintained. You didn't have to pay near as much for one of the best hobby quality saws on the market so you cannot expect industrial quality to be built into it or to be as easy to maintain.
                Try taking the arms off and clean the bolts and the insides of the bushings with a rag and apply some white lithium grease on those parts. Then put it back together. If that doesn't help then either the bushings are worn or you have a problem of a different nature.
                Been there . . . done that.
                W.Y.

Comment

Well i went out and bought me a new delta SS350LS scroll saw and it looks like a good saw it runs smooth very little vibration unlike the 40-540 plus i just about spent on part for what the saw's worth.when i first got the saw i don't think it was lubed and i didn't think about it myself and that's probley what did the saw in in the long run.

rms112462

Comment

Never hurts to have two saws, especially if one vibrates alot. Put 2 cups milk and 5 scoops flavored ice cream in a cup and double tape it to the vibrating saw. Before you know it you'll have a nice tasty milk shake.
                    Jeff Powell

Comment

rms112462;
                      Good for you and congratulations. You are going to love that little SS350. It is a big improvement on the 40-540.
                      The reason I knew about the 40-540 was because that model was the second of four saws I have owned. I turned out a LOT of nice work on that saw and I gave it to a neighbor that has downs syndrome when I changed up to a 20" saw.
                      I don't have actual experince with the SS350 that you have now but I understand that there is actually a way to lubricate the pivot bushings in that one without taking it apart.
                      Please check into that in your users manual and if that is so, then it would be wise to lubricate it right from the start and continue to do so at regular intervals. You should get years of enjoyment with that saw.
                      W.Y.

Comment

Uses for old saws

Old saws never die they just get recycled.

I just put my paints on the saw table and mix them for about 10 minutes.

Or tape sandpaper to the table and you have an awesome finishing sander.

Place it on the floor and get a foot massage while you scroll.

Bolt a hammer head to the end of the arm for a Jim Dandy nailer.

If it is variable speed you can use it as a metronome while playing your musical saw.

place an old cooking pot under the upper arm and Voila, a fire alarm.

Or use it as a backup when your new saw goes in for servicing.

Never give a problem saw to a newbie. It is too hard emotionally on them.
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Hey Carl;
                          Bolt a hammer head to the end of the arm for a Jim Dandy nailer.
                          I use my air hammmer for that
                          W.Y.

Comment

I hear ya delta p-20 and carl. Nice air hammer p-20.Got the SS350 set up and the lubrication was first on the to do list with white lithium grease going on all pivot points & joints maybe i can cam get a little more out of this one.

rms112462

Comment

Love the air hammer, I will that on my Christmas wish list.!
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X