16" or 18" scroll saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" or 18" scroll saw

Hi guys. When you select your scroll saw, will you take throat depth into consideration? What kind of features are you looking for in a 18" scroll saw?

bennett, don't know of anyone that makes an 18" saw anymore. Delta made one for awhile. 16" and 20" are the most common. You can cut larger pieces with the 20". Check with Rick at www.scrollsaws.com.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Originally posted by bennett
      Hi guys. When you select your scroll saw, will you take throat depth into consideration? What kind of features are you looking for in a 18" scroll saw?
      I have been scrolling for 10 years or so. I have bought everything from the 100-200 dollar saws, a Hegner 18VS, a couple of DW788's and I even tried out a couple of RBI Hawk scroll saws. None of them even came close to the accuracy and ease of cutting that the Delta P20 (40-680) I have had for the last three years. It is used for everything from portraits to 3D Christmas ornaments.

It's lack of vibration and ease of top feeding of the blade make short work of even the most complicated pattern.
      Bob from Northwest Florida

Delta P20

Comment

Dremel's new saw is an 18". SSWC did a review of it recently.
        It all depends on what you're wanting to do. If you're interested in larger projects, a deeper throat is great. I cut a lot of largish stuff so I went with a saw with a 30" throat, a solid warranty and top feeding ability (an EX-30). It met all of my needs.
        As far as features, keys for me were ease of blade changing, throat depth, lack of vibration, reputation, reviews, maintenance, dependability and warranty.
        Last edited by Jediscroller; 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM.
        Kevin
        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

The Ryobi also makes a 16 and 18 inch models.
          The 18 is far superior, not so much from the depth of throat but the blade clamp system, ease of use and lower vibration.
          There are not too many projects that I do that require 18". it is nice if you have it but it is not a requirement.
          To me the requirements are;
          • Blade clamping
          • ease of blade change
          • low vibration
          • variable speed

Things like dust blowers, sawdust removal, light and magnifiers, can all be added to any saw with home made jigs.

One other thing I do like is a blade insert for the table that can be replaced.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I totally agree with Bob's recommendation
            I have been scrolling for 10 years or so. I have bought everything from the 100-200 dollar saws, a Hegner 18VS, a couple of DW788's and I even tried out a couple of RBI Hawk scroll saws. None of them even came close to the accuracy and ease of cutting that the Delta P20 (40-680) I have had for the last three years. It is used for everything from portraits to 3D Christmas ornaments.

It's lack of vibration and ease of top feeding of the blade make short work of even the most complicated pattern.
            And as a little extra bonus , even though P-20 would make one believe it is a 20" saw , it is actually a 20.5" saw when measured from the back of the blade to inside of the arm at the back.
            Mine is 4 years old now and has had more use than most scrollsaws get in 10 or 15 years and it is still as good as the day I took it out of the box. A joy to use and made to last.
            W.Y.
            http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I believe Hegner has one that is 22" and I wish I had bought that one instead of the 18". You would be surprised how many times you wish you had the extra length in the table!! Of course, if I had the 22" I probably would want one that is 24" or 26". Seems we are never quite satisfied, are we?

Betty
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have the RBI G4 26inch. I have only needed that throat depth a couple of times. But I was sure glad i had it.
                Saw selection is a very personal thing and everyone swears theirs is the best.
                If you can, try a few different ones before you decide(local club or wood show) I agree with Canadian Scroller there are other issues that are more important i.e. ease of blade change etc.

But mostly you need to have some idea as to what you will be cutting.
                I didn't want to limit myself so I went big with lots of room under the arm for my fat fingers.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf
                  I didn't want to limit myself so I went big with lots of room under the arm for my fat fingers.
                  That's the only downside I've noticed with my Dewalt so far - it's fine cutting ply and thin hardwood but finger space is tight when you are cutting 2 and a 1/2 inch stock - and that thumbscrew hurts the knuckles!!

Maybe I just have my fingers where they shouldn't be ..

Ian
                  Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

That finger room above thicker wood is what made me lean towards the RBI G4 instead of the Hegner 18".
                    I like to put my finger on top of the wood behind the blade especially when cutting 3d ornaments and figures. It is probably not the correct or recommended way but it works for me.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have an old delta 24" scroll saw,but need the 4 hold down bolts which anchor it to its table.Anyone know where I can find these?

Comment

Ron, check with www.scrollsaws.com, Rick may be able to help you find them.
                        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

hold down bolts

Thank you Mick.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X