Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Questions

I have a couple of questions.

First I inherited one saw. A very old Craftsman 13" that only takes in Pin-end blades. Can't do a extremely small cuts on that but it is a wonderful saw.

Then I ran across a Skil at a yard sale and purchased that. It accepts both types of blades but the plain end blades keep slipping.

I am new to the hobby and but after the frustration of changing out those blades I want a different saw.

Is there a saw out there for the hobbiest that the plain-end blades are EASY and hassle free to change? (I do not have any hassle with the pin-end ones other than I can't cut really small cuts.)

Brenda
    Brenda

Brenda's Blog (This is a little bit of everything, Scrapbooking, Crocheting, Crafting, Wood Crafting)

Brenda's Gallery

"If you are not always busy something is wrong!"

Brenda. I have a question for you. When using the plane-end blades, do you take a piece of sandpaper and sand the ends before putting them in the clamps? The blades are coated with an oil to keep them from rusting and if you don't sand them the oil will cause them to slip out. Before investing into another saw try that first if you haven't already. I had the same problem on my saw as well have others here even with the more expensive saws before sanding the ends. Hope this helps.
    "Keep Scrolling Along"
    Chris "The WoodArtist"
    https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodArtistWoodShop

Comment

Depending on how serious you want to get with this hobby will answer your question. Personally I would search ebay and Craigslist for a good used scroll saw. Keep looking until you find one within your driving distance. The better your saw, the better results with your projects. With all that said, search for RBI, Hegner, Excaliber, and Dewalt. Any of these saws will have make you happy with blade changes. In a matter of days you would be very used to getting in and out of cuts and blade changes. It is just a matter of getting used to the saw is all. There is a classified section here as well to find a nice saw. Be patient and the right saw will turn up.

Comment

I did not know that there was a coating on them... that might explain a lot... I will try that. Thank you so much for the tip.

I will check out the saws you listed.
        Brenda

Brenda's Blog (This is a little bit of everything, Scrapbooking, Crocheting, Crafting, Wood Crafting)

Brenda's Gallery

Comment

Craftsman

I have gone through 4 Craftsman scrollsaws, I have the EX16 and has been very very good, and do mind the oil on the blades strip it off one way or another it does help with the slipping.

Comment

Another option would be if you can't find a good deal on a high end used saw and don't have $500 + to spend on a new one might be to check out a Porter Cable 370ss. I've had one now for about 6 months and not had any trouble of anykind from it. It's not a high end saw but it does have all the features you need and blade changes are tool free. After I got used to it I can change blade position in under a minute and change a blade in under 2. Best thing about it is the price, it's only $189 new at Lowes. As Woodman said look for a deal on a high end one first but this might be another option if you can't find one.
            It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

I have a porter cable saw and have put it through more than average use and it does the job for me. I use to have a skil saw and had it for a while and the only problem I had with it was the clamp screw on the top kept giving me problems. I use to have a craftsman and had nothing but problems of some sort with it. For the money this porter cable is worth it now when I can afford it yes I'll be getting me an EX of some sort I hope at least the EX21 but bigger if I can. I think when I bought my pc it cost like 150 and came with the stand. I love it. So the comment about the saw itself I don't agree with b/c I've used a few even the one from Harbor Freight and still done just as good of a job on the cuts. Just my opinion. I do agree that practice is the key as no matter what saw your using once you learn the saw and get practice at using it you'll be able to do just as good on the less expensive saws as the more expensive ones. The difference I say in the saws are the comforts of the saws themselves. The more expensive ones have better functions as far as blade changes and accesories. Just my opinion
              "Keep Scrolling Along"
              Chris "The WoodArtist"
              https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodArtistWoodShop

Comment

Since you otherwise like the Craftsman and you do have an emotional attachment to it, perhaps check with Sears to see if they might have a conversion kit to allow your saw to accept plain end blades. I believe they do offer such a kit, but I don't know what saws it fits. Might be a wild goose chase, but it's certainly worth a shot.
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I have an old Craftsman 24" 2 speed SS and (2) Ryobi 16" SS's. The Ryobi is usually down because the tension rod keeps stripping out, it's down now. The Craftsman is old and I bought it for $85 off craigslist a year and a half ago and it runs like new. It weighs like 125 lbs. and takes up way too much room on my work bench, but it hasn't failed me yet!
                  Don

Comment

I have owned the PC370ss (and Hitachi CW40 and Tradesman). PC370, Hitachi, and tradesman are all a series of saws made by Rexon then re-branded, but they are very very similar. These saws cut fine, but the blade changes are a pain in the behind. The blade changes got a lot better when I removed the left dust panel, but still, it's painful. Now even the PC370 is starting to hit the Craigslist scene at a good discount.

Now days, I would never pay $180 for a PC knowing that I could find the better brand saws on Craigs list for close to that same price. I bought an older Hegner off Craigs list for $75 and the Tradesmans for about the same. I've seen Hawks sell from $200-$400 and like new DWs go for around $200-$250.

The last thing I need now is another scroll saw, but I still look daily for a new steal.

--------Randy
                    Last edited by hotshot; 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM.
                    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I will never get rid of Dad's saw and since it is old probably won't keep using it a lot as I don't want to break it. I did the research on the craftsman conversion kit and it is for
                      a 16" saw and has 3 models on the back of the package that it will work with. BUT the saw I have is not one of them.

That is why I thought that maybe I would look into a different saw and found the Skil saw at a sale.

With the Skil saw that I bought - I have already had to call the company to get a new top blade holder and screw because I stripped the screw AND the holder will not grab the blade.

I am always worried about buying 2nd hand saws and I have never bought from Craig's list.... but I may give it a try.
                      Brenda

Brenda's Gallery

Comment

I did forget to mention about that dust cover on the PC. If you're talking about the Olson conversion kit for the 16" direct drive, don't waste your money. They require an allen wrench to change blades or blade position and it is a 2 handed deal to do it or you will drop the blade and the bottom blade holder because it's only held in the saw by blade tension. Plus they don't clamp the blade they tend to pinch it and cause breakage.
                        I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the best saw you can afford I'm saying that if you got $200 I would rather buy new and have a warranty then buy a used one and it work a week and you're stuck with it. I know not all used saws are junk but it is a gamble you take, atleast buying new you do get a warranty.
                        It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X