Buying a good saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a good saw

Looking to buy a scroll saw, never owned one before, never used one....but the stuff I've read in Magazines (etc.) seems interesting. Which one is best? Money not a big item, although I'm not interested in fancy do dads, only basic scrolling. I do play offen with a nice jet bandsaw.
    Any help much appreciated. Ignorant in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Re: Buying a good saw

Not being a scrollsaw expert..I will just tell you what my next one will be....DeWalt!. If I had an excess amount to spend and I did more scrollwork than anything, then I would look seriously at the 'Hawk' by RBI and the Hegner's

Comment

It would be nice if I could edit my posts? anyway, should mention, I have had a Delta and now have a Dremel. Next is DeWalt. :O

Comment

Thanks Hi-Ho; value your opinion! You helped me out with the word intarsia a few weeks ago. Now I'm serious about trying it out but need a scroll saw. I have looked at the Hawk and Hegner ads and online info. Can't really tell much difference between the two (amateur's opinion)
        The Dewalt probably a lot cheaper??? And, I think it is highly recommended by the multitudes.

Comment

Bill Beery,

Have heard a lot of good things on the posts about the Dewalt DW788 model. It runs $439.00 or so. If you look hard you may find it cheaper.

Amps 1.3 Amps
          Strokes/Min 400-1,750 spm
          Stroke Length 3/4 '
          Depth Of Cut (inches) 2 '
          Tool Weight 56 lbs
          Shipping Weight 64.5 lbs

Includes: hex wrench
          blades

Comment

I've had three
            Ryobi
            DeWalt
            RBI

Would not recommend the Ryobi
            If your on a budget get the DeWalt
            If money isn't a concern, get the RBI (at least the 20').

Comment

I think you just got the gospel from Ed! Now if you want a DeWalt, which is still probably the one I will buy since scrollsaw work is not my primary interest...look at www.toolking.com they have them and very good prices...they also have factory reconditioned in which you can't tell the difference from new, I have several reconditioned tools. The DeWalt..new...comes with a stand, the reconditioned doesn't...the stand is fairly important to me, even tho I could build one, I just have to many irons in the fire right now! Don't remember exactly the price difference between the new and fact. recon. hope this helps!

Comment

You know it would be a whole lot easier if I could edit my posts!! LOL anyway, forgot to mention, toolking has free shipping....a big plus !

Comment

I, too, am looking for a scroll saw for my daughter's boyfriend. He is fairly new to woodworking and has never used a scroll saw but want to do inlay work. From my research, it looks like a 20' DeWalt with a stand and light is what I want. The thing I don't understand on comparison charts is the variable speed feature. They list a number of rpm's. Pardon me, I am a woman who did a little woodworking many years ago and haven't even gotten close to my sewing machine in years, but are these speeds continuous and switched with a step on accelerator or do you have to set it manually? What specific model would you suggest?
                  Thanks very much.

Comment

I forgot to ask: does it come with a light? If not, what would you reccomend? My husband says there are new scroll saws which use blades similar to drill blades that do a better job. Do you know what he is talking about?

Comment

My 20' Dewalt came with a light, which is indispensable. I also bought an add-on, arm-lift mechanism that eaily lifts the upper arm and holds it up when you change blades or positions. The speed control is a knob on the top that you set before you start the saw. It is step-less and a little trial and error will help you dial-in the speed you should use. A good book or even Dewalts instruction manual will help also. With the Dewalt, you need a flat and level floor to eliminate vibration. The ideal situation would be to bolt it down but most of us need to be able to move our tools. You can buy spiral blades that allow you to cut in any direction without turning your work, but there are some things about them that aren't very good for some precise work. I use reverse, skip-tooth blades, and you usually get a good assortment with the saw so you can try a few different blades to see what you like. I spent some time sanding the table on my saw, to make it a little smoother, then I put on several coats of paste wax to protect it and keep it smooth. You don't want to fight friction when you're guiding your work through the blade, and the cast iron table comes a little rougher than I liked. It's a good saw, and I use it more than I thought I would.

Comment

I have a DeWalt788,have had it for about five yrs. .
                        I make everything from cars,trucks and boats, tosigns etc. . The saw itself is great. The only thing I do not like is the hold down, thats why I never use it. Other than that I highly recomend it.
                        Charles Gushue
                        [email protected]
                        User name Charmer
                        P.S.
                        As far as the floor being level, personally I think it is nonsense. As long as the blade is square to the table you could hang on the wall and use it. :

Comment

Thank you both very much for such excellent information. I feel very lucky to have found a site like this where I could get such good information
                          Wendy.

Comment

I have a Dremel 1680 16' Variable-Speed Scroll Saw. It is a great saw for a resaonable price. The table tilts 45 degrees left or right. Uses 5' blades. Also has a built in dust blower.

Comment

As you can tell, many different response to what to buy. I have had several different ones and I have invested( alittle more than I wanted) and bought a RBI 220. If I look at all the scroll saws I bought and had repair the price of the RBI220 was not very much more than them and the satisfaction is super. Can do so much more with the RBI 220 and easier.
                              DeWalt I believe would have been ok but I have wuse several different ones, the RBI216,220 and the 226, , Excalibur :P, several craftman(owned) :P, Helgner and settled on the RBI220. Never been happier.
                              Grizzley makes a good cheap one. Look at
                              www.grizzly.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X