Why Hegner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Hegner?

I am currently cutting on a 6 month old Dewalt saw. I love the saw and it runs great. However, I stumbled upon a couple new Hegners, both new, both very cheap. So my question is why Hegner? What makes them so great? Also, I do fretwork and Intarsia. Are they good for both?

Yes they are great for both. Top notch saw and precision made. That is what makes them so good. High quality parts and well designed results is a very low vibration machine. The less vibration the more ease and joy to use. With the low vibration it is so much easier to stay in the line where you want to be.
    If you stumbled into a couple, buy one and let me know about the other one. You can never have too many saws.

Comment

I have been scrolling for over 25 years and have used and owned most brands of scroll saws...some were just for starters (less than $100 new) and others cost many $100 more. For the past 10 years I have used Hegners and love them....why two of them...one is a polymax 22" belt driven and the other is a 18" VIR speed that I picked up used sale. I find if I have a problem or broken part, they are easy to find the parts and easy to repair myself. I do all types of scrolling and this saw will do it all.

Everyone has a favorite saw they like to use and you may find another brand better than the Hegner, but it's not because it's a bad saw...they are built great. That is why the extra price
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

I also have two Hegners. One I bought new...the second one, used
        (25 years old). I had a DeWalt that ran and cut as nice as do the Hegners but it literally fell apart after 20 months. My answer to "why a Hegner?" is that they are durable.
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

One important feature, other than they are bullet proof. Is that the blade clamps are not part of the saw like on the Dewalt and Excaliburs. If you strip or break one you only buy a new clamp not the whole arm assembly. Just my opinion.
          I tend to put a bit too much torque on the clamp screws. My Hawk also has separate clamps so I have a few all set up with a blade assortment.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I've replaced just the clamps on my Dewalt. You do not have to replace the entire arm.

Comment

My top 4 positives are:
              1. almost no blade travel (forward and back) with no tweaking
              2. Saw is simple enough that you can make repairs yourself
              3. Even for the very very old Hegners, you can still get all the parts (my Multi-cut is > 30 yrs old) Why is this important? Ask someone that loves their Delta Q3 . . . it is important
              4. The quick clamp rocks

Top three negatives
              1. Parts are as expensive as heck and as expensive as these saws are, they don't come new with the Quick Clamp (this is a nit).
              2. This is not really a top feeding saw. To simulate top feeding, you have to remove the bottom clamp from the saw.
              3. Blower setup is not optimal, but is much better with a small purchase from Mike

Disregard the nits . . . overall the saw is a joy to use. I now have two.

----Randy
              Last edited by hotshot; 07-13-2012, 08:58 AM.
              "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Randy,
                It never did make sense to me why Hegner never upgraded their blower and clamps on the new saws especially since they now offer retrofits.?
                If I didn't have my Hawk G4 I would have a Hegner.
                Rolf

Comment

Might not be a bad idea to pass these thoughts along to Hanns Derke, at Advanced Machinery. He is devoted to promoting the Hegner as a quality tool for quality work, and might find the feedback useful.
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Randy, Thank you for posting pros and cons.... It's always good to see it from both sides!

Comment

Carole,
                      I think (always scary) I may have discussed this with him.
                      Rolf

Comment

Rolf, I'm trying to think of a snappy comeback, but I'm coming up empty! Oh, well
                        Carole

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                          Randy,
                          It never did make sense to me why Hegner never upgraded their blower and clamps on the new saws especially since they now offer retrofits.?
                          If I didn't have my Hawk G4 I would have a Hegner.
                          Boy do I agree Rolf. When I bought my Hegner and used it the first time I

thought you got to be kidding!! It was blowing the sawdust right in my face.

Another problem if you broke a blade you sometimes had to look for the

lower blade clamp somewhere on the floor. How dumb is that? I developed

solutions to both problems but I shouldn't have had the problems in the first

place. Thats like Dewalt 788 owners having to make or buy somthing to

hold the upper arm up. These type of issues should be taken care of before

putting these saws on the market.
                          Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

Al, having to look for the lower blade clamp a few times has taught me to keep the floor clean, and the garbage pail empty. But if you have a better solution I'd love to hear it.
                            Carole

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
                              Al, having to look for the lower blade clamp a few times has taught me to keep the floor clean, and the garbage pail empty. But if you have a better solution I'd love to hear it.
                              Carole I made a chute with a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth attached to the bottom

along with a cloth bag to catch sawdust. The hardware cloth prevents the blade

clamp from falling into the bag but allows the sawdust to drop into the bag.
                              Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Jim - A nice story regarding your son biting the bullet. Congrats to all!

Re your upcoming retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to mine but to be honest, apart from being home based due to this darn virus, I've gotten accustomed to getting up in the morning and deciding what I...
                                Today, 03:32 PM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Quartz43
                                You have found out about retirement. Busy, busy and busy. And you need more tools!
                                Today, 03:29 PM
                              • wjbclocks1
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by wjbclocks1
                                Enjoy life, Congrat....
                                Today, 01:30 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Jim McDonald
                                Good luck getting ANY of that garden space!
                                Today, 01:24 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Big week here
                                by Jim McDonald
                                Well friends quite a week here on the prairie.
                                Long back story, but our son was adamant we get a fast response COVID test last Saturday, so we could attend an outdoor gathering of his girlfrigirlfriend's family. About an hour into the ATV and dirt bike riding, he got off the 4-wheeler and dropped...
                                Today, 01:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X