• cpowell
    replied
    Ha ha ha yeah; gave me a warm fuzzy too! ha ha ha

Leave a comment:

• JimSawyer
    replied
    Aw,
    You just gave me a warm fuzzy..

Your little buddy hung in there and waited for you give it a little TLC...

You rescued it from the junkyard and it will be more loyal to you for that...hehehe

Leave a comment:

• cpowell
    started a topic Whats old is new again

Whats old is new again

For three days now I have been trying to make a picture frame. I have this nice new table saw. I could not cut an accurate 45 degree angle. I tried everything. I watched videos on youtube. I cut and cut and figure and figured. I tried making a sled. No good. I tried squaring the blade, no good. Finally I realized that there is slop in the miter guide. No, not in the angles but in the part that slips in the guide grooves.
    Okay, go to plan B; Harbor Freight bandsaw. Stilll no good. Can't get a straight cut. Tried everything. There is too much slop in every part of it. It'll be okay for re-sawing but nothing that requires much precision.
    Okay, go to plan C; The router. it's no good to me for this even though I watched videos on using a router. I'm not experienced enough to do this I guess. Who knew you could cut with a router?
    Okay, go to plan D; the backup saw, my old, probably 40 year old radial arm saw. It is old, half worn out, has slop in it and is doing good to cut a straight line. I went to it and began to give it some TLC that it has been needing. It's been sitting for about five years since I bought it at a garage sale for $25. I've never cut more than a straight line with it and figured that was all it was good for. Even then there was anywhere from an eighth inch to quarter inch give in it. You just had to take your chances from day to day.
    I oiled it up, tightened it up and began to cut. I adjusted the degree it cuts, when it says 45 it really means about 42 or so. After many practice cuts and adjustments I finally got a decent 45 degree angle. From my old worn out Sears Craftsman Radial Arm. It out did the newer, much, much newer, Ryobi table saw.
    I'm proud of that old girl, old as she is.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X