When not to use scissors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When not to use scissors!

Unless you have lots of time to kill and good eyes NEVER cut open a package of blades with a pair of scissors.
    I just recieved 3 doz each of Olson PGT 5,7 and 9 from Sloans (they are great by the way Sloans and the blades) and I cut the end of the package off with a pair of scissors slicing the ends of the bags off. I played pickup blades for a while.
    108 blades WEEEEEEEE.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

If you move more than one at once, your turns over Rolf and it's the wife's go.
    Regards
    John
    "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
    Some of my Stuff
    Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

The picking up doesn't sound so bad. The sorting though! EEEEEEK!

--Rob

Comment

Well, with 5s, 7s and 9s at least you can see the teeth.

Wait a minute--what are you doing with blades that size?
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Been there done that. Step one get beer. Step two drink beer and kick dog.
          Step three apologize to dog get her a cookie, drink beer go in the house and kick wife and try not to fall as you run down the steps, trip over dog eating cookie on bottom step ( important: keep your head the end is near) do a shoulder roll through shop door making sure to close and lock door as you slide up to the cooler. Step four, Drink beer and find your pick up magnet and gather blades. Step five get comfy on your shop stool drink beer and sort blades.
          You may have to turn up radio so as to not distracted by the pounding on the door. You may have to use the shop vac radio assist.
          You were picturing that weren't you Jim?
          Come on guys you know I was joking. I would never kick my dog.
          May the wind at you back .....
          Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Carole I will probably never use the #9 blades but I will say I wish I had them when I was cutting the thick bloodwood a couple of weeks ago. I will also be making some toys from some very thick pine 1-3/4.

Oily thanks for starting my day with a laugh, that is very funny.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Oily you write some funny stuff and it's great to see someone else with a warped sense of humor. I like your style. Give the dog another cookie for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                Carole I will probably never use the #9 blades but I will say I wish I had them when I was cutting the thick bloodwood a couple of weeks ago. I will also be making some toys from some very thick pine 1-3/4.

Oily thanks for starting my day with a laugh, that is very funny.
                Sorry about that. I think i was enjoying the pain killers too much.
                I get my new hip July 23.
                If you want to try a real meat eatin' blade try some FD sr #12. I use them all the time for bigger and thicker stock or if I don't want to use the table saw. When we tell people you can't hurt yourself with a scroll saw we are not including these blades in that statement.
                They are also handy for setting your table. You can see them and 0 flex.
                Not be from Lunch.

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

Comment

Sorry Rolf - but that is funny!

Picking up fine blades off of what is usually in my case a dirty floor isn't fun but I do have some help. I have a whopping great magnet retrieved from a really old IBM machine, where it was used to wipe tapes clean, and its great for lifting blades and other thin items from the floor.

Btw - agree with Rob on the #12 blades but definitely keep your fingers away from them, they can be mean! I use them for cutting up to 1 1/2" pine and they do a whizz of a job.
                  Last edited by jim_mex; 06-26-2012, 09:08 AM.
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm giggling too, Rolf! I also have a great large magnet for picking up blades and assorted nails and screws off the floor. Also agree about the SR 12 blades. Mike sent some to me for cutting 5/4 rock maple for pig shaped cutting boards. Sliced that maple like cheese. No reason to get fingers near a blade like that!

Rob......just sent your wife a fire axe for those times when you lock yourself in the shop, turn up the radio to deafening and ignore the pounding on the door.

Just trying to help.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                      I'm giggling too, Rolf! I also have a great large magnet for picking up blades and assorted nails and screws off the floor. Also agree about the SR 12 blades. Mike sent some to me for cutting 5/4 rock maple for pig shaped cutting boards. Sliced that maple like cheese. No reason to get fingers near a blade like that!

Rob......just sent your wife a fire axe for those times when you lock yourself in the shop, turn up the radio to deafening and ignore the pounding on the door.

Just trying to help.

Jan
                      That doesn't scare me as bad as super glue
                      Not be from Lunch.

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                        Farmers market "survey"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                        I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                        For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                        Today, 11:14 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                        Today, 11:00 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                        Today, 09:57 AM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Rolf
                        So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                        I like the fact...
                        Today, 08:34 AM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by will8989
                        Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                        Today, 08:17 AM
                      Working...
                      X