seriously need pointer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seriously need pointer

I have tried different size blades with different numbers of teeth in flying dutchman, craftsman, and olson. If I can make the item on the left with relative ease, why can't I cut the shape on the right consistently? That is the tiny diamond-like shape with concave sides. I have gone through about 2 dozen feet of various hard and soft woods trying. Thanks.

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your post/request/question.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM.

What seems to be going wrong? drill small hole insert blade cut into corners back out and cut into the same corner from different angle. Don't try to turn blade in corner. The corners are the only possible problem I can see...

Is there other areas of concern?

Comment

need pointer

Those things are not the issue. My approach to the corners is textbook. It is the 4 sides that are shaped as inward curves that get messed up. I don't feel in control when cutting. The pattern has 9 of these shapes. I usually get through 4 of them before ending up with a misshapen hole. Then say a lot of bad words and use the rest for practice.

Comment

Most blades have a burr on the right side from the manufacturing process. Always try keeping your waste material to the right side of the blade.

What type of wood are you using and how thick is it?
        Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Try an Ultra Reveres 5, have good tension, let the blade do the work, (don't push), take your time. Start with a mid range speed..

Practice.....
          The other John A. Nelson
          johnsworkshop.com
          sigpic
          I just follow the lines and make sawdust
          on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

With a small cut like that I almost never try to follow the line and make an outline cut. I use the largest drill possible for the pilot hole and use the blade like a rasp.
            Being a lazy ole fart this save me the trouble of putting in a nice new blade. In fact I'm really not that fussy as to what blade I using, I use them 'till the teeth disappear or they break.
            Wow I didn't realize how lazy I was 'till I came up with the energy to type it out.
            Just give a holler anytime you need a lazy hand. I'm like Rolf. The less I know can't be done the more I can do.
            Jokin' aside, There are no scroll laws written in stone. Do whatever it take to give you the result you want. If you discover anything different or new way to do anything be sure and post it and let us know.
            BTW. If those are pix of your cutting you should be teaching me!!
            Would you have a problem if I borrow your attachments for patterns. Very nice clear design.
            May the wind at you back .....
            Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I do what Hammer is saying and keystonecop is right with tension, also have good speed.. Never be in a hurry have low feed rate.
              Check this on my site under Q & A
              How about cutting corners?
              FD Mike
              SD Mike

Comment

the pattern Oily asked about

I've been doing this about a year now. None of the patterns I have used are mine. My computer crashed a few days ago and I lost the patterns I downloaded. I'll look for the one at the top of the page and post it if I can find it.
                Last edited by konafiend; 06-16-2012, 10:05 PM. Reason: wrong the first time

Comment

Originally posted by konafiend View Post
                  I've been doing this about a year now. None of the patterns I have used are mine. My computer crashed a few days ago and I lost the patterns I downloaded. I'll look for the one at the top of the page and post it if I can find it.
                  Not a problem I can make a pattern from your photo.
                  That's a nice design for alot of things like candle lanterns and night lights.
                  May the wind at you back .....
                  Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I have found outbecause I'm right handed, a lefthanded person would feed with the rigthand. If I feed with my lefthand I can follow the lines better. It take a little time to get use to it but it's worth the time.Straghter cuts.
                    I got this tip at a woodworking show

Comment

My theory is that the holes don't have to be cut perfectly. Unless it is a major mistake, you will probably be the only person who knows it isn't cut perfect. (btw, a pattern that isn't yours shouldn't be posted on the web. Maybe just a picture of the shape you are having problem with...)
                      T
                      Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

All I can say is, you have such a short distance from one corner to another, it is very difficult to make the curve exist. I would suggest that you use the very smallest blade possible & cut the curve with the waste area to the right of your blade. I looks like you will no more than get started cutting the curve & you will be at the other end before you even start. That is a very small cutting & you have to be the judge, as to whether or not you have any curve when finished. Good luck.
                        PERK

Comment

Originally Posted by konafiend
                          Not a problem I can make a pattern from your photo.
                          That's a nice design for alot of things like candle lanterns and night lights.
                          Actually, Gentlemen, it's a copyright violation not only to share the pattern (unless you created it yourself) and use a photo of a completed cutting to make your own pattern. Unless you create the pattern yourself, it's illegal to share the pattern with anyone else.

That pattern is actually available in Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Holiday 2007 (Issue 29). Click on this link to purchase the back issue.

Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Issue 29 Holiday 2007

Best Regards,
                          Bob Duncan
                          Technical Editor
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Is it illegal to...

Is it illegal to post a pattern that is not mine but is listed as free with no restrictions on it's use? That is what we are talking about.
                            Last edited by konafiend; 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM. Reason: grammar error

Comment

Yes . Unless you create a pattern you are not allowed to share it, give it or sell it. Even a free to use pattern. They are just that free to use but not free to share. The original designer controls the copyright.
                              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by meflick
                                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                                Yesterday, 08:21 PM
                              • Jo Labre
                                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                                by Jo Labre
                                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                                Yesterday, 11:13 AM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                                Yesterday, 10:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by Rolf
                                I haven't even decided what to make!
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X