Pneumatic drum sander Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneumatic drum sander Project

Back in March I decided to stop screwing around and get a big pneumatic drum sander for my Intarsia work. Having used one at Judy Gale Roberts class I was amazed at how much time it saved. Well the new sandrite is about $1200 to $1400.
    I decided to build my own.
    I bought the drums 6” x 9” and a 2” x 9”. I have to look where I bought those, they were the biggest expense. I also bought a 1” by 36” shaft and had it threaded with a left hand thread on one side and right on the other. MC master for the shaft and nuts. The bearings and pulleys were scrounged . The stand was a rusty old Craftsman saw stand that I found in a dumpster, sand blasted and sprayed with metallic paint. The plywood was scraps and the casters (double locking) on sale from Woodcraft. I had the motor laying around from my dads garage. I think all total it was under $400.
    I still need to add my dust collection and a drawer to store the sleeves in.
    I will also enclose the pulleys and the belt.
    Attached Files
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Rolf -- Nice! Good to see folks build it themselves, not to mention saving a grand. How many rpm does it turn?
    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

I am not sure about the motors RPM as it has no plate on it. But I assumed it to be 1725.
      So with my pulley sizes I should be around 1200 which is what the Sandrite is.
      I cant wait to put it to work.
      Rolf

Comment

Good Job Rolf !
        I'm sure it will save alot of time.
        Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

Now that will git r dun.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Looking gooood Rolf, beats putting down 12 to 14 Franklin's.
            Thanks for the project photos.......love photos.
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Outstanding job on that Rolf. Yes, you will need a good dust chute setup. I will get a picture of the one I came up with and post it here later. That big drum will remove a lot of material in a very short time.

Comment

In picture #1 is a plastic dust chute that I got from Woodcraft. It comes with the stand which is a very nice stand. But it would not keep up with all the sawdust.
                In picture #2 you can see where I added some sheet metal to the front to kind of box in the drum. I made it so all the back got flared out to attach to the plastic chute. I only added all the duct tape to make sure I had the best cfm I could get.
                In picture #3 I added a piece of plywood to the top to stop any sawdust from coming back around into my face. It also helped with the cfm rating as well as the piece of cardboard on the side. There is about 3 inches open on the bottom for shaping the pieces. With it set up the way it is there is no sawdust coming back around the drum.
                Picture #4 shows the dust chute I use on the flex drum sander. That chute is a hvac vent that you get get for a couple of dollars at Home Depot. Notice in the back is some chicken wire to catch the work piece should you loose control of it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Very nice! Where did you get the drums from?
                  Janette
                  www.square-designs.com

Comment

Janette,
                    I bought them from Klingspore. Search Results For "pneumatic drum" | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop.
                    I probably could have found a cheaper source but I trust them. I bought the 6x9 and the 2x9 plus the adaptors for the 1.25 to 1" shaft. Total cost $322. Casters $36, belt $21 some bolts etc.

Thanks for the pictures Woodsman, I am building enclosures around my drums, but I am keeping the underside of the drums as clear as possible. I want the maximum working space. I attached a picture of Judy's setup.
                    Attached Files
                    Rolf

Comment

Design is straight forward and basic, should last forever. I use a chute like woodsman behind my sanding stars, make sure you put some kind of screen in front of the exit hole or you will be chasing part throughout your dust collection. Mine is hooked up to a HF 2hp DC and it is amazing what size parts can be carried away in a 4" DC hose.
                      Steve.
                      EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

Steve I will definitely put a screen in. I have the New Jet Vortex with 4” PVC ductwork all over the shop. I would hate to have to take it all apart to find that tiny ebony eye.
                        Rolf

Comment

Rolf, you will find it is all about compromise. I too started off with large work area, then soon tired off all the sawdust making it's way back around the drum. Hence getting to the setup I have now. There is something about that big drum and holding on to the sawdust.
                          Post a pic of what you come up with. I am not 100% happy with mine, and can change it at any time.

Comment

Like my shop these things are in constant flux. The big 8" drum that Judy had set up worked fine, not much dust comming back around.
                            Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                              Reply to New tools
                              by jim_mex
                              Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                              Today, 11:14 PM
                            • Hobbyhorse
                              Reply to New tools
                              by Hobbyhorse
                              Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                              Today, 11:03 PM
                            • Hobbyhorse
                              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                              by Hobbyhorse
                              Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                              Today, 10:58 PM
                            • KarlB
                              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                              by KarlB
                              Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                              Today, 09:41 PM
                            • KarlB
                              Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                              by KarlB
                              Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                              Today, 09:31 PM
                            Working...
                            X