type of blades !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• type of blades !!!!!

hello everyone i just have a question on what fellow members use as blade choices for intricate fretwork

Generally speaking you want to use a blade that allows you to easily make the tight turns and gives you maximum control in delicate areas like narrow bridges. If the blade is too big, you will struggle with the tight turns and it may be too aggressive. If it's too small, your cutting will be very slow and blades will dull very quickly. Your choice of blade will be a compromise between those factors.

Blades are very much a matter of personal preference, but for fine detail, you will want to use a very small blade. How small will depend on how hard the wood is to cut. I generally like to use the largest blade the pattern and material will allow. The specific choice will vary, based on the combination of material, pattern and how much control you need. For very fine detail work in thin material, I use a #2/0 Olson reverse tooth blade. However, if you are cutting material more than 1/4" or so thick, these blades won't last very long and it will be slow going. From there I will go up to a #2 reverse blade or a #3 Olson Mach blade. I've successfully cut intricate fretwork in 5/8" thick hardwood with the #3 Mach.

Most folks on the forum prefer Flying Dutchman blades, but regardless of brand, similar logic applies in choosing the appropriate size. Best advice is to try a few different blades and see which ones you like.

Good luck, hope this helps.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Blades are readily available in a wide variety of types, sizes, tooth configurations and manufacturers. Probably the two most popular are Flying Dutchman and Olson blades.

Links to the blade suppliers can be found over in the left margin of this page, under Scroll Saw Resources > Retailers. Most folks will tell you that Mike's Workshop is the best place for the Flying Dutchman blades and Sloan's Woodshop is a good source for Olson blades. Call either one of them and you will talk to a real person who can give you first hand advice on their blades and they both offer great customer service.
      Here are links to both sites mentioned.

Mike's Workshop
      Sloans
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by Ben12
        Hey Bill Wilson, apparently you and I are not "real people". It seems our suggestion and advice is to be ignored and only qualified dealers who sell the blades are allowed to give advice on this forum. Apparently my nearly 20 years of scroll sawing is not good enough.

Gee, I wish I knew that before posting a reply to rookie. I guess I'll have to ask for permission before posting next time.

Ben

What are you talking about?
        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

The posting is not from me... Ben 12. There are 3 other people who have access to this computer. I did not post any messages to this thread. I just found out and am quite upset. I have deleted what I could. Please delete the rest.

I don't know if it was meant as a joke or just sarcasm. Either way, I'll get to the bottom of this from my end.

Once again, sorry.

Ben

Comment

No harm no foul. Thank you for clearing it up for us...I was seriously scratching my head....LOL
            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have cut with what I consider the three major players in the game (Flying Dutchman, Olson and Pegas). All are superior blades with different characteristics.

I now cut almost entirely with FD blades, but when I need something in a different size or only need a few, I will go get a pack of Olson at a local dealer. My advise is to run away from hardware store blades. The steel is not as well tempered and will dull/break easily and an ill-tempered blade makes for an ill-tempered scroller.
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

thanks Mike!!

Yer welcome!!!
                Last edited by wood-n-things; 05-02-2012, 12:46 AM.
                May the wind at you back .....
                Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                  No harm no foul. Thank you for clearing it up for us...I was seriously scratching my head....LOL

No kidding!

I just logged on for the first time since yesterday afternoon and needless to say I was also scratching my head.

Oh well, doesn't take much to confuse me these days.
                  Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X