Radial arm drill press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial arm drill press?

Anybody ever used one? My little Craftsman bench top drill press only reaches out 4 3/4". That leaves me with alot of hand drilling to do on a 14 x 18 piece and no matter how hard I try I can never get them a good 90 deg. On tight patterns it causes problems. I am limited on shop space so a floor model won't work for me right now. I need to stay bench top if I can. I found a Shop Fox radial arm press that reaches out 17 1/2" and my local tool store and it was only $229. I don't know anything about the Shop Fox brand nor ever heard of a RADP before. Are they common? SF any good? I don't want to ruin a piece by using a drill because the hole wasn't straight. I stack cut 4 of Zaffinos "Anticipation" and only can use 3 if I'm lucky because some pilot hole weren't straight. Learned a lesson and now its time to fix it.
    Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
    Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Some of us swear by Dremel-type multi-tools set up in dedicated drill presses. You can move the press over the workpiece, so its throat size isn't a problem.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Radial arm drill presses are not common but they are great for drilling where throat size is a problem.
      The advantage of this over the dremel method is you can set the angle of the bit when drilling access holes for beveled or releif cuttings.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

What is and where can you get a dedicated drill press for a rotary tool?

Thanks
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I don't own one, but have used a radial arm drill press. In fact, it is on my short list of tools to buy to fill up the new shop next summer.....

Shop Fox is "Grizzly"........

Holy smokes....MNScroller passed me in post numbers........I'd better get busy!
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

If your main goal for the drill press is for scrolling then it is overkill. You can find a much more economical drilling machine and have money left over to buy other cool shop stuff.

If, however, you your goal is to use it for more general woodworking, then it is a good purchase.
            Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Yes, Capt Weasel, I have just recently begun using a small radial drill press that I have dedicated for my scrolling projects. The chuck on my big drill press only grips down to 1/8" and I had to use a secondary mini-chuck (which doesn't not run all that true) for the smallest numbered bits. I paid $160 for the 17 1/2" Rikon at Woodcraft and I wish that I had gotten it sooner. A simple wooden table extenson allows me to drill even the largest projects and always insures that I am drilling perpendicular. I don't trust myself to be accurate with a portable Dremel type especially when the small frets are only as wide as the bit and I am stack cutting four or five layers. I just finished Jeff Zaffino's peacock pattern and stack cut four of them. Even with the drill press the #68 bit too often strayed a little out of line at the bottom until I cut part of its shank off.

One thing I did have to do was replace the cheap Chinese vee-belt on the drill press with a power-twist segmented belt to get rid of the vibration that was initially present on the high speed that I keep it on.

Is it overkill buying a second drill press? Yeah, probably, but it satisfies me and does what I want it to without the inconvenience and bother of changing the set-up and table height on the big Delta all the time.

Don

Comment

I'm looking at it from an efficiency and quality stand point. A radial would save time I think by allowing me to keep drilling nonstop rather than having to do half or so then pulling out cordless and manually having to eyeball straight and finishing it. Also I wouldn't have to take time to use an old blade to "ream" out the hole to straight if it was off. Quality by being able to use all 4 pieces I cut and having bottom messed up due to the hole. On larger cuts I use a 1/16" bit and if its off the 2/0 or #1 still goes straight. Its the little cuts that are problematic. I don't thinks it overkill just an upgrade in equipment to suit my needs and increase my production and quality.
                Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
                Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
                  The advantage of this over the dremel method is you can set the angle of the bit when drilling access holes for beveled or releif cuttings.
                  You can always compensate for this shortcoming by making angled platforms to stand the drill press on. I knocked some out for my Dremel in next to no time.

Gill

PS Thanks, Sandy, for pointing out that this post would benefit from some editing!

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Ok Capt... If your waiting for the thumbs up, here ya go... , you need a better drill, you work hard for your money, you deserve a new tool. Go buy it so you can get back to scrolling with accuracy!!! Dale
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Those of you who use a "Dremel Tool Drill Press" -- Do you mean the plunge router attachement #335-01? Looking at a picture it doesn't seem like the drill press stand would be much help for reaching into patterns.

I have a B&D rotary tool and wonder if it would work in the router base. Drilling by hand is iffy when you are stack cutting.

EarlinJax

Comment

I've attached some photos of the setup I use. A picture is worth a thousand gummi bears (or something like that... )

Gill
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great tip, and yes a picture is worth a thousand gummi's
                          My dremel drillpress is so old....how old is it?
                          The drill doesnt actually move the table is raised to the bit with a cam affair, that is why the visual works so well for me now.

I can shout a resounding Homer Simpson DOH!

Thanks Gill
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks for the picture, Gill. Now I understand.

EarlinJax

Comment

I too could not figure out how throat depth was not an issue. DUH! as my kids say.
                              Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X