blade insertion and tightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blade insertion and tightening

I have a Craftsman 16 variable speed scroll saw (yes,I know no one likes them but it is what I have!) I have no problem with pin-end blades but I can't get plain end blades to stay in without popping out! Any suggestions?

Re: blade insertion and tightening

Try sanding them lightly to remove the oil. It should help.

Ken in So Cal

Comment

Actually I wish you couild help me find a #3skiptooth blade. the closest I have located them is in Nova
      Scotia or Penn. Both sources require a$9.65 shipping and handling.
      Which is quite a lot for a less that $4.00 purchase.

I'm in Eastern N.D, and have Fargo or Grand Forks, but cannot locate the #3 sciptooth blade.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Tyr this web site. MIke is a great guy, very helpful, and he'll send you a couple of free samples of his Flying Dutchman blades. He has #3 skip tooth.

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

Comment

I buy most of my blades at sloan's and mike's

visit Slaoans http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/

Comment

As far as good blades go to Mikes web site which was listed and try the Flying Dutchman blades and you will use no other blade again. As far as the blade popping out as suggested you can litghtly sand the ends of the blades before putting them in holder. What happens is two things, first the blades are manufactured and come thru with some oil residue left on them and over time this accumulates on the holders. What I like to do instead of sanding I clean them with acetone. I dip the whole dozen in a jar of acetone and it cleans them off. You can use mineral spirits also. Now I said there were two things and the second thing is if you have the blade holders that have a thumb screw that you turn to tighten then you will have the second problem. If you have the Delta saws they have a blade clamp that closes against the bladeyou will not have this problem. The problem with the thumb screws is you are constantly rubbing metal of the screw against metal of the blade every time you tighten the blade. This causes a shiny spot on the screw head. You should take the thumb screw completly out and sand the end to roughen up the point again and you are set to go. So doing both cleaning jobs will solve your blade popping problem. Good Luck!!
            John T.

Comment

gsward, take a look here http://pozsgaidesigns.com/ they have alot of everything scroll saw, they even have an adapter for your Craftsman for a quick blade release for doing inside cuts. I just ordered one for my Jet last night.
              Oh yeah, very large selection of blades too!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                Reply to Communion cross
                by cwmagee
                That is beautiful.

I am chaffing at the bit to get back to the scroll saw, Unfortunately the urban renewal project "Redoing the deck" has taken over all of my time.
                Yesterday, 09:25 PM
              • daveswoodworking
                Comment on 2020 Ornament Exchange
                by daveswoodworking
                Yes I’ll send you the list of names and address to sent to after after the dead line
                Thank you for join the exchange
                Yesterday, 09:24 PM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Communion cross
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Excellent contrast not only in wood choices (LOVE the bocote), but also 90 degree corners on the bocote and radius corners on the maple. Very nice!
                Yesterday, 08:46 PM
              • vgraf
                Reply to 2020 Ornament Exchange
                by vgraf
                I signed up four four, Will you be sending the list of where to send my ornaments?
                Yesterday, 08:19 PM
              • Trackman
                Reply to Winter issue
                by Trackman
                Got mine in East Central Indiana. Carole has a nice bowl idea an couple of tool reviews
                Yesterday, 07:44 PM
              Working...
              X